Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Rise Pack

Default High Rise Pack

How much hose do you carry in your high rise packs? We carry 150ft. How many structures in your district would you utulize the high rise pack.

FYI: FDNY only carries 50ft. in there packs. I know I wouldnt want to carry 150ft of hose up 80 flights of stairs.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Our hi-rise pack consists of 150' of 1.75" hose connected to one side of a 2.5" gated wye. A hi-rise pack is valuable in a number of structures in my district. The tallest building is only 10 stories. However, the hi-rise pack would come in handy in some of our industrial occupancies that have standpipes located throughout.

Whats a high rise??? We don't have those in the sticks
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

we carry 150' of 1.75" with an Elkhart chief 175 @ 75 nozzle that spins off to be a 15/16" sb.

We only have class 2 residental. If we had commercial / office we would have to have 2.5" because of the sqft.
    The amount carried depends on how many people you have. We don't have enough to break the pack up.
    If I recall FDNY SOP's require the two first engines to work together to get the first line in operation. Not a bad idea to me.

Again look at your manpower and what will be burning and go on from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry 100ft. We run quite a bit of highrise they tend to be our milk runs. We take the elevator and get off two floors below.

100' of 1 3/4" with an adjustable nozzle. Course, we don't have any highrises! We use them for some of our beachfront properties that are about 400' from the road. We stretch a 2 1/2" to the area. The "high rise" packs have a 21/2 by 13/4 gated wye that gets connected.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Re: High Rise Pack

Originally posted by backdraft663
    FYI: FDNY only carries 50ft. in there packs. I know I wouldnt want to carry 150ft of hose up 80 flights of stairs.
    Ryan me boy, you really need to check your facts before you post.

First you should carry enough hose so that, with the reach of the stream, you can hit all parts of the fire floor from the standpipe. Nothing worse than having two more fully involved rooms down a hallway and not be able to get their. So, in other words, preplanning is key.

Second I am pretty sure the boyz from New York carry more than 50'. I am almost postive that each firefighter assigned carries a "roll up", which would be 50'. I am sure 40eng or FFRED would be more than willing to share their SOP with you.

Dave

Default Re: Re: High Rise Pack

Originally posted by hfd66truck

Ryan me boy, you really need to check your facts before you post.

First you should carry enough hose so that, with the reach of the stream, you can hit all parts of the fire floor from the standpipe. Nothing worse than having two more fully involved rooms down a hallway and not be able to get their. So, in other words, preplanning is key.

Second I am pretty sure the boyz from New York carry more than 50'. I am almost postive that each firefighter assigned carries a "roll up", which would be 50'. I am sure 40eng or FFRED would be more than willing to share their SOP with you.

Dave

I was told this from a FDNY firefighter a while back.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Every Engine Company in The City of New York responding to a reported fire in a standpipe building carries a minimum of 3 50' lengths of 2 1/2" hose and a standpipe kit.
    This was talked about inthis Forum
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb HighRise

Each Engine Company carries 4 lengths of 2 1/2" hose refered to as roll ups. Each member carries one length (Nozzle, Back-up, Doorman, Control(standpipe)) In 4 man Engines there is no door man so his length stays on the rig.

The Control man also takes the Standpipe bag with fittings and tools.

Also anyone who uses 1 3/4 hose and fog tips in high-rise fires is ignoring what every expert will tell you about high-rise Fires. It is foolish to take such insufficent equipment into an extreemly dangerous type of fire. (Is there any other kind???)

Ask the members of Engine 8 who along with Engine 21 had an a#@-kicker of a job the other night if they would have rather taken a 1 3/4 with a fog tip.

NFPA also tells you not to use Fog tips...
    NFPA #14 states [I] “It is very important that fire departments choose an appropriate nozzle type for their standpipe fire-fighting operations. Combination Fog, Constant Pressure, (Automatic) type spray nozzles should not be used for standpipe operations because many of this type require a minimum of 100 psi of pressure at the nozzle inlet to produce a reasonably effective fire stream. In standpipe operations hose friction loss might prevent the delivery of 100 psi to the nozzle. In high-rise standpipe systems with pressure reducing hose valves, the fire department has little or no control over hose valve outlet pressure.” (NFPA #14, Standpipe and Hose Systems, A-5-7.)[I]

Any one think that it is only FDNY guys who think this way...I'll direct you to read the articles written by Chief McGrail of the Denver FD. He is very knoledgable on the subject of High-Rise FF.
    Subcribe to www.firenuggets.com and you can see what I mean. Also I do believe he teaches at seminars from time to time. Look for him.

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ryan,
    I am not trying to pick on you but you gotta seriously think about what people tell you. I would not want you to get misled by hearsay. We carry 150' of 1 3/4 house with gated wye and tools, our tallest building is only 3 stories (motel) but we have industry as well where these can come in handy.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Damn...you guys are quick.

Thanks for that info Fred.....I needed that little bit of ammo.

Dave

E40FDNYL35 said they carry 50' of hose on the pack. Thats what I said. My Department has a 150' pack and I wouldnt want to carry our 150'pack up 80 flights of stairs, so Im guessing thats why FDNY only has the 50' and have more of them.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Default Re: Re: Re: High Rise Pack

The only reason why I brought it up is cause A guy at our Department is from TExas and still has family in TExas, and he brought up about LODD's in Texas, and he said they have at least one a year, and he told me that the reason most likely was due to the classes they have to become firefighters. I brought it up and now I have to take the heat!!

I was told this from a FDNY firefighter a while back.
    It seems you believe everything you are told....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Yea I know alot of people tell me crap. I post it and all and dont even get the facts of it. I need to stop. Sorry guys for making an *** out of myself here latelly.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

We carry 200' of 2" hose with a 75psi TFT combination nozzle, 10' section of 3" hose (for the building hook up) and a gated wye. Our pack is in two sections, one with a 100' section of 2" and the nozzle, the other has a 100' section of 2", the section of 3" and the gated wye. This way, the load is split and you dont overload one FF. We also carry a small bag with spanners, wedges, etc.

I'm at work now but when I get home in the morning I will post a photo.

Dave

Forum Member

Yea I know alot of people tell me crap. I post it and all and dont even get the facts of it. I need to stop. Sorry guys for making an *** out of myself here latelly.
    Ryan, you are not the first person ever to get jumped on here for some posts. Do a little research. These forums are filled with tons of questions and answers about tons of things. Try the search feature.

In answer to your question, we carry 150' with a gated y and various connectors in a large gear bag. It had a combination nozzle on it. Its heavy and a pain to use. Hopefully we are in the process of changing it, thats why I was thanking Fred for the info he posted.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

backdraft663,

Just to clear something up for you. Me and E40L35 are saying the same thing. There is no "hi-rise pack" in the FDNY. Each man takes 50ft of hose. The Nozzleman usually has a nozzle attached to his length and the Control man (the guy who has the critical role of hooking up to and operating the standpipe) carries the Standpipe bag.

In a 4 man Engine 3 lengths are taken up...in a 5 man Engine 4 lengths are taken up.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry the FDNY/Denver system high rise packs.

3 50' Sections of 2 1/2 inch w/ 1 1/8 SB tip along with a high rise/standpipe pack containing various reducers/increasers, a inline pressure gauge, pipe wrench, spanner, chocks.

in addition, for certain residential applications, 100 feet of 1 3/4 with a 7/8 SB tip can be attached to 50 ft of the 2 1/2 inch line off of the standpipe.

to complete the "system" additional companies bring up similar equipment.

Flows (est.)

2 1/2 inch with 1 1/8 tip 250-260 GPM at 50 psi
    1 3/4 inch with 7/8 tip 160 GPM at 50 psi
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Here is our set up. The married irons in the middle are carried by a third FF along with a handlight.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information