Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: duty boots

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default duty boots

What boots does everyone use for their duty boots. I have a problem, I have been using thorogoods duty boots but my feet dont like them. Have a size 15boot and It is pretty darn hard to find boots to fit. I heard that redwing has a front zipper duty boot but I can not find it on any of the redwing sites, does any one know what product number it is and also does anyone know of any quality front zipper leather duty boots that they make in size 15 other than the thorogoods.

I would appreciate your input.

Well I'm in the same boat as you literally. I'm between a 14 W and a 15 depending on the shoe. I wear Hi tec Magnums in the 6". I can't complain about them they're comfortable. I''ve even played an impromptu game of football in them. I've had bates too they're not bad I just didn't like the look of them. Depending on the money you want to spend the holy grail of boots is Danner. I have several other sasquatch footed co workers who put out the money for them and they say there is nothing like it. Sorry I'm not putting out $200+ a year for boots. My $60 magnums work fine. Basically go to your local uniform store and tick off the salesman sit there and try on boots till you find what you want.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Does magnum make a front zip with a safety toe? I have tried the bates side zip boots and I just cant get out of the side zips as fast as a front zip.

you can buy the inserts to make them front zip and yes they make a safety toe but I can't speak on them as I do not wear them
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

I use the Rocky Paratrooper...it's the toughest boot I've ever had. They are available in size 15, as well.

The Redwing boot you're looking for is #4473, 8-inch steel toe with steel shank. The zipper kit is listed as an option. I've got a pair that I've had for about 2 years, and they're still in great condition and very comfortable. No insulation or padding inside other than the insole, but I never saw the need for any. I still wear them several times a week for my regular job.

I used them at the department until I got my issued boots, which are Firefighter IIIs from the Firefighters' Safety Center. These are the same boots that LAFD is now using. Very comfortable as well, though with a lot more padding, so they tend to get a bit hot after awhile. They have a rough-sufaced toe cap, so you don't get a spit-shine, but they hold up better under use too.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

I've had a couple pairs of the Thorogood Station Duty Boots, and they are OK, but they only last me about 1 year or so. Then again, I wear them almost every day. My Thorogoods get scuffed up pretty good on the toes, but shine pretty good. Maybe I'll have to look at getting a pair of the Firefighter III's........

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

Default Food for thought

Think about this. And no I don't work for a boot company... You buy a 60 dollar pair of HiTecs. Or you buy a pair of $90 or $100 Thorogoods. You have to replace either pair in one or two years at best. I have a pair of Danner "Acadias" which are their warm weather boots, and I've had them for nearly 7 years. Yes, they've been resoled, but that cost a whole 20 bucks or so. They are the finest boots made for station wear.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Haven't bought Magnums for many years. Don't hold up for me. Like I said, I wear mine almost every day. I don't think I'll find any bnoot to last me 7 years........

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the redwings. They are comfortable, but I added a superfeet insert, cause it feels better. They do take quite a bit of work to make them shine though. You should call around about the boots though, I had to drive 60 miles to get mine, they're not in stock at every location.

Eric

The absolute best thing to extend the life of your boots is have 2 pair and rotate. I've done this for about the last 6 mos with a new pair and a pair about 4 mos old and I don't see near the wear on the new pair as I have in the past.

I used to wear Rocky Eliminators, but somewhere the quality of the front zippers finally peeved me off that I quit byuing them. I now have a pair of side zip Hi-Tec Magnums and they seem to be ok, I notice the sole isnt very stiff and seems to have alot "flex" to it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I also wear the Rocky Paratroopers (side zipper) and I love them. Been wearing them for 3 years now and I just can't wear 'em out! I've had a couple of pairs of Magnums and although they're really comfortable, they just don't hold up. I'll get about a year out of them, tops. Personally, I've found that the boots that try to feel like an athletic shoe end up lasting about as long as an athletic shoe. A real sturdy boot with a hard sole, I find, gives better support and lasts a lot longer.

Like someone else said, if you're OK with a front zipper you can buy the lace-in zipper and convert just about any pair of boots. You might want to give that a try. They're available through Gall's, which also has a good selection of steel toe boots, zipper boots, you name it.

Thread Information