FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up Nypd-fdny Logo Suit Filed By City

April 14, 2004 -- The city has filed suit against the owner of a Pittsburgh-based company for allegedly selling items bearing NYPD and FDNY logos without city permission. Albert Elovitz, Inc. was hit with a lawsuit late Monday for "improperly selling merchandise in violation of Federal trademark law, New York common law and New York statutes protecting trademarks," according to the complaint. A look at Elovitz's Web site, albertsgifts.com, reveals the firm indeed sells a range of products featuring the NYPD and FDNY logos. "It's very important that the city enforce its trademark rights," said Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo. "Because [this case] is in essence about someone taking our property." The city has licensed the use of the FDNY and NYPD logos to the Fire Safety Education Fund and New York City Police Foundation, respectively. But Elovitz, who claimed he hadn't even been informed of the suit until a Post reporter told him, said he had done nothing to violate trademark law and was prepared to go to court to prove as much."It is important that everyone understand that NYPD [and FDNY] items have been legitimately sold for many, many years," Elovitz said. "I sold on the streets of New York and wore holes into my shoes to build this business. And now, 10 years later, they just want me to cave in and give it to them. It is just not fair."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

The city is suing souvenir sellers who it claims are peddling bootleg NYPD and FDNY merchandise over the Internet.It's the first time the Bloomberg administration has slapped a lawsuit on wholesalers to stop it from pocketing money meant for the city's police and fire charities."It's our job to make sure the city gets all the benefits it deserves from its trademark," said city marketing chief Joseph Perello.The Manhattan Federal Court suit accuses Albert Elovitz Inc., a Pittsburgh-based wholesaler,and others of hawking FDNY and NYPD shorts, caps, towels, magnets, key chains, jewelry and glasses without authorization."The goods are of inferior quality to authorized products bearing the NYPD and FDNY marks," says the lawsuit.In addition to its Web site, Elovitz also supplies various vendors who sell the stuff on city streetsCity lawyers said they don't know how much Elovitz makes from the items, but believe it is a substantial amount.Since the Sept. 11, 2001, tragedy, the sale of NYPD and FDNY merchandise has earned millions for the nonprofit Police Foundation and the FDNY Fire Safety Education Fund, which control the trademarks under agreement with the city.The charities have negotiated licensing agreements with manufacturers and have sought to protect the logos by sending out hundreds of cease and desist letters to vendors and retailers.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 04-14-2004 at 07:58 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Hang 'em high, Bloomberg! This is so low, so very low.

All you FH.com readers, make sure you and yours buy only officially licensed FDNY & NYPD items so that the city and these great charities get what is theirs.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

No doubt EastKYFF......I personally will never by any FDNY merchandise from anyone on the streets or in any little corner shop or bodega..The only FDNY merchandise I buy is directly from city firemen or from places like the official FDNY website, the fire zone in midtown (which I have not been to yet

Forum Member

There are couple of hacks out there I have seen that took a silk screen and just have FDNY or NYPD in big white block letters on a black shirt. They are sold as "offcial issue" FDNY,NYPD gear.............yeah right.......I aint buying.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

So; what exactly should we look for to ensure that we are buying only licensed FDNY logo clothing?
    I have a couple of FDNY shirts; both 9/11 memorial shirts. One is autographed by a couple of NYC jakes.
    Is there an identifier?
    I mean; look at how many collectible businesses are advertising FDNY stuff. Are they properly licensed?
    But more importantly, will they confiscate my shirts?
    Who has the skinny on this?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

My mom bought me a 9-11 shirt and I still refuse to wear it outside the house. She bought it at a gas station. I seriously doubt any of the profits made went back to our brothers. I can't stand the people who are getting rich off this.

Forum Member

My one and only FDNY shirt is from a Squad. It was one of their memorial shirts. Have no idea if it was "licensed" but I bought it on a street corner in Wildwood, NJ. Still got no idea if it was "offically licensed" but I know it was a Squad guy that sold it to me and I know the money went where it was supposed to. I've known him for years.

So I'll echo CR, how does someone know if it's legit or not?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

40/35/FFFRED Please correct me if I'm wrong, but....

My understanding is that the only "licensed" merchandize comes from the FDNY and NYPD websites. The most popular image that was memorialized was the Flag Raising. Anyone using that image on ANYTHING is supposed to be contributing money directly to the Bravest Fund. The genuine memorial t-shirts were created by the various stations and can be bought directly from the stations through their websites. The goal was to raise money that would be given directly to the families. Some families have authorized the folks that run www.fallenbrothers.com to sell the memorial t-shirts. The folks running this organization were selling shirts to benefit the families of the fallen prior to 9/11.

The names of those taken are not to be used on ANYTHING without the permission of the families. I recently attended an FH Expo where the 9/11 Coalition of Families had a booth. Those shirts were donated to the Coalition by a number Rescue Companies that wanted to help them raise money towards their effort to raise awareness about the 9/11 Memorial in NY.

Best advice is to go directly to the Station websites to purchase anything. Oh yea, Dennis Leary did a nice shirt that you can get on the LearyFirefighters (I think that's it) website.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

LICENSING

Licensee List as of March 2003

Activision Value Publishing
    Products: Interactive computer software games

Battman Studios
    Product: Calendar of Heroes 2003/2004

Citidesigns, LLC
    Products: Souvenir items - mugs, coasters, mouse pads, frame, key chains, backpacks, pens, pins, etc.; infant’s, children’s, and toddler’s apparel: adult’s shirts other then t-shirts; children and adult socks for souvenir market

City Merchandise
    Products: Non-exclusive: mugs, magnets, key chains, shot glasses, water globes, lapel pins, flashlights, memo clips, thermometers, golf balls, pencils, pencil toppers, pens, cup and saucer, playing cards, socks 8” poly plate

Code 3 Collectibles
    Products: Die cast collectible fire vehicles, fire stations

CSS Industries – Paper Magic
    Products: Children’s firefighter and Dalmatian costumes

Cute Ideas Custom Products
    Product: Bottled water

Ediciones del Prado (Spain)
    Products: Fire fighter Figurines

Felissimo Corporation
    Products: Collectible tribute plates

Fisher-Price
    Products: Pre-school action figures and vehicles; play stations

Firehousedecals.com*
    Product: Decals

Goebel of North America
    Product: MI Hummel fire fighter figurine

Jacket Four Ltd (UK)*
    Products: Men’s and children’s apparel including outerwear, woven/knit tops and bottoms, denims, baseball caps and footwear

Melvco, Inc. - Grampa’s Tub Toys
    Products: Tub toys

MDK - K-Line Electric Trains
    Products: Electric toy trains and related products

Matrix Executive Management
    Products: Men’s, women’s and children’s T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baseball caps

Mega Bloks
    Product: Construction toys/interlocking blocks

NTouch Video Technologies*
    Products: Radio control fire boats

Playmobil USA, Inc.
    Products: “Little people” firefighter figure

Real Heroes
    Products: 12” Fire fighter collectibles and toys

Rand International*
    Products: Ride-ons, bicycles, skateboards, wagons, and other related safety gear products

Rocket Resources*
    Product: Mini RC fire vehicles

Sunworld International
    Japanese Master License

Toy State
    Products: 5”- 36” Plastic battery- operated motorized fire vehicles with lights and sound, to include tethered and infrared remote as well as radio control activation
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

40/35 I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. Be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation My FDNY hst

I found myself in the hot sun at a fire flea market last summer without a hat. After searching thru all the hats for sale, I found one with a FDNY patch and the letters FDNY. It had a small folder attached with one of those nylon ties. It explained in was official and outlined what the money is used for. Always look before you buy.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

Am I understanding this licensing thing correctly? A member of FDNY can make a "station" shirt, that uses whatever FDNY logos he wants, and sell it freely. A vendor can't use any FDNY logo unless the vendor gets licensed?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by Bones42
    Am I understanding this licensing thing correctly? A member of FDNY can make a "station" shirt, that uses whatever FDNY logos he wants, and sell it freely. A vendor can't use any FDNY logo unless the vendor gets licensed?
    YES
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Thanks. Got a better understanding.

Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    [B]LICENSING

Licensee List as of March 2003

Thanks Brother for this list. I knew there was an offical licensee list but never seen it. I will copy this and keep it handy.

Be careful out there Bro. Take in in only when necessary.

Stay Safe & Well

Thread Information