MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cargo Container Training Facilities

We have dicussed this before, but this time I am looking for as many pictures, blueprints, drawings, build plans as I can find. Due to much research, thought, and dicussions (some on Firehouse) we have come to the conclusion this is the best and most cost effective way we can get quality live burn training for our area VFDs.

So, if you have pictures, ideas, plans, build budgets, anything related to this subject, I would greatly appreciate any and all of it.

We are looking at roughly 5000$ a year for maybe 3-5 years to set up this training facility. This is baring any grants, unforseen income, or fundraisers. Hopefully we can get some donations, ie the cargo boxes themselves.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 04-14-2004 at 01:37 PM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Check out the Illinois Fire Service Institute. They have several props built with containers. Look on page 23 of their current newsletter to see an example.

http://www.fsi.uiuc.edu/pdf/spring%2004%20web.pdf

They could probably provide you with information on design and costs. Their website is

http://www.fsi.uiuc.edu

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if this has been covered, but the State of KY has a flashover trainer made from two cargo containers that is also built as a 5th wheel trailer. They tow it with a 1-ton. Good portable training.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Samson:
    Go to the US State Forums to Illinois. I posted several pictures and information about shipping containers. We have several at our training site in Galesburg and are getting some more.
    Check it out.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the IL info. That burn building in the news leter is off the charts! That is awsome and a goal worth shoting for. I would imagine we would have to build it in sections. First year the base floor plan, next year the second floor and the stairs, etc...

I am also ver interested in what safety features you have built in. IE the window and door designes, the ventilation prop, emergency exits, outside catwalks, etc...

Also, what do you use for burn training? Are any of these propane? We are likely to end up useing paper/wood/straw bales. More of a mess to clean up, but likely much cheaper then trying to set up a safe and useable propane prop.

How about furniture? We were thinking useing metal framed chairs and tables and such to flesh out the interior. Mabe make a sofa/bed out of sheet metal. Maybe some old kitchen appliances, IE a stove.

Has anybody ever made a attached garage? It would be sort of neat to have a garage attached to a 2 storie house, complete with an old car int the garage. I would likely have to be a sliding or swining door.

What about drainage? Pumping 2000 gallons of water into the second level worries me. Is there drainage holes cut? Any sort of runoff collection sytem? Where do you dispose of the water?

Interior lighting? Likely unfeasable, but it would be nice for clean up and set up of interior props. Probly end up with portable lights/drop cords/open windows.

How do you connect 2 cargo containers, IE on the first floor. If you want to make say a 4 container wide first floor, how did you connect the containers? Is it an "air tight" connection? Do you have divider doors? Are they secured in a physical manner, IE welded/bolted, or do they just sit next to each other.

Stairs, how did you do the internal stairs?

Do I ask to many questions?

I will defiantly get ahold of the IL state fire school, I realy like that facility in the newsletter.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I will be watching this thread closely, Samson......We also are planning on building a training facility with containers. We recently acquired our first one (donated, in excellent condition) but haven't yet begun modifications. After we get this one up and operating, and get a little experience with it, I would like to add on a bit at a time.

Try Paul Grimwood's website, www.firetactics.com . It appears that the Europeans use containers extensively as fire training facilities. Maybe they could be of some assistance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    I will be watching this thread closely, Samson......We also are planning on building a training facility with containers. We recently acquired our first one (donated, in excellent condition) but haven't yet begun modifications. After we get this one up and operating, and get a little experience with it, I would like to add on a bit at a time.

Try Paul Grimwood's website, www.firetactics.com . It appears that the Europeans use containers extensively as fire training facilities. Maybe they could be of some assistance.
    Thanks for the link to Fire Tactics. I always seem to loose that one. I have read a lot of that website, and it is one of the resons we have decided on getting a container to train in.

I am haveing a hard time right now locating cargo containers. They seem scarce in our area.

Keep me posted on what you find out.

Most of my questions revolve around 2+ containers, how you link them, how the "room" are made/layout, etc...

Forum Member

As will we...we actually found one for $750.00. Now, if we could just find a place to put it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ThNozzleman

As will we...we actually found one for $750.00. Now, if we could just find a place to put it.

I have a place you can put it, 1 Mile south of the PVFD fire station!

Thats not a bad price. We have set our target price for <500 if we can find any for that price. Donated would realy help.

Protective Economist

Default Re: Cargo Container Training Facilities

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES
    We have dicussed this before, but this time I am looking for as many pictures, blueprints, drawings, build plans as I can find. Due to much research, thought, and dicussions (some on Firehouse) we have come to the conclusion this is the best and most cost effective way we can get quality live burn training for our area VFDs.

So, if you have pictures, ideas, plans, build budgets, anything related to this subject, I would greatly appreciate any and all of it.

We are looking at roughly 5000$ a year for maybe 3-5 years to set up this training facility. This is baring any grants, unforseen income, or fundraisers. Hopefully we can get some donations, ie the cargo boxes themselves.

Thanks.
    You may also want to read NFPA 1402 (Guide for Training Facilities) and NFPA 1403 (Standard for Live Fire) to build in the appropriate safety features.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information