Thread: bars

Forum Member

Default bars

the laws, i think in all of Indiana, is that you can have the bars on your P.O.V, but they suggest you really think about it first, cuase there have been a lot of incidents where neighbors have followed Vollys to the site, or to the station, so its completely up to us.

stay safe

If your talking light bars....This raises my usual question...

Do you really need a light bar or any lights for that matter if your not a Chief???...To me you can get to a scene or to the station just as quick without all the lights and sirens in your POV..
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

i agree, you dont really need light bars. but sometimes in emergencies they are a very useful tool.

I don't know if the lightbar is really needed. Headlight-Brakelight flashers with a deck light works great I think. The brakelight flashers are great if you need to park your vehicle on or near a street to let oncoming traffic know you are an emergency vehcile and not just another broken down vehicle. The flashing headlights and dash light are great to let oncoming traffic know you are comming their way and to pull over. Intersections are still a major problem if you do not have a siren so be as carefull as possible and make sure all ways give you the right of way on a red light. So far I have found no need for a lightbar. Some guys in my department have put dash strobes in their side windows of the extended cab of their trucks for intersections and have worked well for them.

I run a dash light with headlight and tail light flashers in my truck. I still drive the speed limit to a call. With all the cars pulling over to the side of the road on each side of the road keeps my response times great even though going to the speed limit since I dont have to sit at red lights if it is clear in all directions and I dont have to wait for cars trying to turn either way. Main goal on responding to a call is the public's and my safety when responding and on scene. Thats our main goal!

Forum Member

Unbelieveable............ Don't you guys look at the other active threads????????????? Why do we go through this every week or two??????

Cool LIGHT BARS

I THINK THAT LIGHT BARS ARE A GOOD EMERGENCY TOOL. IF USED PROPERLY. I FEEL THAT A DASH LIGHT IS NOT ENOUGH. YOU NEED A LIGHT THAT IS ABLE TO BE SEEN 360 DEGREES. I HAVE A MINI LIGHT BAR ON MY VECHICLE, WITH A DASH LIGHT, AND HEADLIGHT FLASHERS. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH CLEARING TRAFFIC WITH THESE, AND THEY ALL ARE HALOGEN. YOU DO NOT NEED THE EXSPENSIVE STROBES AND LEDS. EVERYONE BE CAREFUL AND STAY SAFE

HVFD2865

Forum Member

Default latchman936

Did you mean to post this on the thread titled "Light Bars"?

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Unbelieveable............ Don't you guys look at the other active threads????????????? Why do we go through this every week or two??????
    Since this is a public forum, I am just putting my own views out. I have read all the other threads and they all have gotten out of hand because people are not listening to each other and missing the whole point.

So far nothing in this thread has to do anything with other threads. This thread has to deal with ALL OF US who do use warning lights and discussing how usefull some warning lights are. This thread has nothing to do about how emergency lights make us SPEED, and how emergency lights are a DANGER to the public, and how emergency lights are.....well I think you get the point.

This thread is about what lights are usefull and keep us and the public safe. I have not found anything in this thread to be rude or biased against anything......

This thread is just a couple people telling someone their OWN EXPERIENCE with lights on what is useful and not. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Last edited by Derekz; 04-15-2004 at 12:51 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Derekz

Since this is a public forum, I am just putting my own views out. I have read all the other threads and they all have gotten out of hand because people are not listening to each other and missing the whole point.

So far nothing in this thread has to do anything with other threads. This thread has to deal with ALL OF US who do use warning lights and discussing how usefull some warning lights are. This thread has nothing to do about how emergency lights make us SPEED, and how emergency lights are a DANGER to the public, and how emergency lights are.....well I think you get the point.

This thread is about what lights are usefull and keep us and the public safe. I have not found anything in this thread to be rude or biased against anything......

This thread is just a couple people telling someone their OWN EXPERIENCE with lights on what is useful and not. Nothing more and nothing less.
    And that's EXACTLY how most of the other 300 threads on this topic got started.......

If all you have to talk about are lightbars and whether or not you can use them, you have some serious issues........

Forum Member

Since this is a public forum, I am just putting my own views out.
    I agree, if this wasnt a public forum, or if the moderators figured there was something wrong with this then they would have shut it down. thats one thing that makes this the good ole' "free" united states. and besides if you dont like it, no ones twisting your arm behind your back to read it.

stay safe

If all you have to talk about are lightbars and whether or not you can use them, you have some serious issues........

But that wasn't the topic wasnt if he could use them.... he just wanted to know how useful they were over other lights so we replied. I thought it was a ligiment question because no one wants to go out and spend that kinda of money before asking someone else who has experience with them. If I ever thought about getting those lights, I would defintly consult someone else to see what their opinion was about them and that is excatly what Latchman was doing.

This is just my opinion, I dont think this thread has gotten out of hand like the rest of them. Only you have gotten on this thread making that assumption and telling other people they have serious issues just because we are talking about LIGHTBARS.....oh no!!! Lightbars!!! Shut down the thread because someone wanted to know if it was worth the money to buy one.

Forum Member

And if you do a search you'll see all of the threads that were started on THIS VERY SAME TOPIC!!

And if you do a search you'll see all of the threads that were started on THIS VERY SAME TOPIC!!
    They only get out of hand because you get into the discussion and blow it out of porportion and get it off topic like here. I don't see anyone else in this thread complaining because a person asked a simple question. This topic is a very reasonable topic to talk about. You are the one that is trying to blow this topic out of porportion, no one else.

Default Re: LIGHT BARS

Originally posted by hvfd2865
    I THINK THAT LIGHT BARS ARE A GOOD EMERGENCY TOOL. IF USED PROPERLY. I FEEL THAT A DASH LIGHT IS NOT ENOUGH. YOU NEED A LIGHT THAT IS ABLE TO BE SEEN 360 DEGREES. I HAVE A MINI LIGHT BAR ON MY VECHICLE, WITH A DASH LIGHT, AND HEADLIGHT FLASHERS. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH CLEARING TRAFFIC WITH THESE, AND THEY ALL ARE HALOGEN. YOU DO NOT NEED THE EXSPENSIVE STROBES AND LEDS. EVERYONE BE CAREFUL AND STAY SAFE

HVFD2865
    Do you have a permanent light bar or a temporary one? I have heard people getting their bars stolen while on a call. Some civilian will come up to the vehicle and cut the wires and take the whole light. Thats the main reason why I have not gotten one. Im just worried about being at a car accident that is around the corner and oncoming traffic dosent know about it without some proper lighting. No need to have a secondary accident! This is where warning lights play a big role since we are normally first on scene with S.O. arriving minutes after us.

Forum Member

We've had FFs from neighboring departments have bars stolen by FFs from other departments. One bar was a $400+ strobe bar with mag mount kit that went missing from the roof of a members pickup truck while parked at a bar. Luckilly he found is lightbar after contacting several area FDs and learning that one had a rookie FF who showed up one day with the bar on 'his' vehicle. How did the original owner get it back? His NAME WAS ETCHED ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BAR. When the Chief of the other FD saw the FFs name he confiscated the lightbar, called the police on the rookie and then called the owner to come pick it up. Wether you have a halogen mini bar with 2 rotators, like me, or or a expensive LED bar on your vehilce, remember to MARK IT WITH YOUR NAME so that if it is stolen it will be eaisier to identify.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Thats a good idea to sketch your name into. Do they have serial numbers on them so you can record that as well? I guess I better sketch my name into the bottom of my dash light just in case.

At least the lightbar that was stolen wasnt some civilian that decided to put it on their vehicle to play with. I just cant believe some rookie would have the nerve to take one off another firefighter's POV. There would be some problems for that kid if that happened over here!! Hahaha.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unbelieveable's right firenreq77 another thread and another ****ing post from you. If you don't like the threads that are posted, then don't reply to them.

Straight from the horses mouth "you have some serious issues."

I can not believe that a firefighter would have so many negative thoughts. "If you have something good to say, say it to the world. If you have nothing good to say, say it to yourself."

Forum Member

Originally posted by Captain5505
    Unbelieveable's right firenreq77 another thread and another ****ing post from you. If you don't like the threads that are posted, then don't reply to them.

I can not believe that a firefighter would have so many negative thoughts. "If you have something good to say, say it to the world. If you have nothing good to say, say it to yourself."

Forum Member

Originally posted by Captain5505

Guess you should take your own advise. You don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Ignore me. I could really care less.

It's pretty sad when Firehouse puts the convenient(sp?) search feature on this website, but people don't know how to use it. I really can't understand why someone would want to start a thread about a topic that has been beaten like the dead horse over and over and over and over and over and over again. Why would you not look at the multitude of other threads, where people have already put in a lot of information? Then, if you wanted to continue the discussion, all you have to do is reply to THAT one..........

Learn to take your own advise.

I said it before and I'll say it again.........

Guess you should take your own advise. You don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Ignore me. I could really care less.

It's pretty sad when Firehouse puts the convenient(sp?) search feature on this website, but people don't know how to use it. I really can't understand why someone would want to start a thread about a topic that has been beaten like the dead horse over and over and over and over and over and over again. Why would you not look at the multitude of other threads, where people have already put in a lot of information? Then, if you wanted to continue the discussion, all you have to do is reply to THAT one..........

Learn to take your own advise.

I said it before and I'll say it again.........

CAN YOU NOT REALIZE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ARGUING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED YET??!?!?!??! Like I have said before, these topics do not get blown out of porportion till you get in the middle of SOMEONE ELSE'S ligiment questions and blow it out of porportion yourself. You are the one that is blowing your top off trying to get us all rowled up, but its not going to work this time. All of us here are trying to help a brother out and YOU come in here and get TUNNEL VISION and think this is turing into "one of those topics". Do you realize that you are the only one that is complaining here that someone had a question for all of us volunteers? Why cant you just reply to the original message and say, "I dont think a lightbar is worth it because they can potentionally be dangerous"....if you dont like lightbars. But dont come in here and telling us that we are making "one of those topics" and telling us we have serious problems. You have a RIGHT to voice your opinion about something, but dont come in here and tell us who we are and talk all this negative bull crap. You are the negative person here, not us. I understand if you dont think lightbars are a good idea... just say you dont think they are good.....dont come in here and bash the crap out of all of us. We are all brothers here in it for the RIGHT reasons. We all love being firefighters. Dont be bashing your fellow brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

CAN YOU NOT REALIZE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ARGUING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED YET??!?!?!??!
    That's just because many of the rest of us are tired of replying to these endless lightbar and bluelight posts.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by WTFD10

That's just because many of the rest of us are tired of replying to these endless lightbar and bluelight posts.
    I can see that.....but some people dont have the time to read all the threads ever made to see if there just happens to be another thread out there that may deal with their question. It would take hours to do, but no one is making anyone read these threads or reply to them. You are not required to reply to threads, its optional. If you see the topic listed and you know its going to be "one of those topics", then dont click on it....just move on to the next topic you feel like reading.

Message boards are like newspapers except you get a chance to respond here. You are not going to like every single article that is printed in a newspaper everyday. Everyone has their own things they want to talk about and so on. When you see a title in a newspaper that you are not interested in, you just move on. There are always articles in the paper that seem to appear everyweek and get tired of seeing, but it is information some people enjoy reading and responding too.

You can't expect to enjoy and respond to every thread here. We are all diverse and enjoy talking about different things. Just don't single out threads and give people a hard time for talking about something that DEALS with the fire service. Lightbars are a REAL and LIVE issue for all us volunteers and is a needed topic to talk about for people who have questions about them. It is better for people to have questions and ask them than have questions and DONT ask them and find out in the future they made a wrong decision because they didn't ask someone about it first. That is the whole point of these boards. To bring all of us together and share our ideas with each other.

firenresq77.... I just want to let you know I have nothing against you and no hard feelings. I can see some of my replies may sound like I do but I don't. I understand that you are getting very fusterated with the same 'ol stuff all the time. I am a member of another board and it is the same way there. There is always some newbie that has to stur something up. I just wanted to let you know I got no hard feelings. Keep it safe out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbars are a REAL and LIVE issue for all us volunteers and is a needed topic to talk about for people who have questions about them. It is better for people to have questions and ask them than have questions and DONT ask them and find out in the future they made a wrong decision because they didn't ask someone about it first. That is the whole point of these boards. To bring all of us together and share our ideas with each other.
    You're right I don't need to respond but I will again state that there are many more important issues for volunteers than lightbars.

When so many of the topics in the Volunteer Forum are on this subject it's no wonder we get called whackers and are made fun of by some paid guys.

I'm not gonna keep arguing about this but I hope some of my fellow volunteers will read this and think about their priorities.

Stay safe Brother.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Thanks Moe........

As for me bashing people with lightbars........ Well, it never happened. That would be kind of hypocritical of me to do..........

I don't have issue with people with lightbars, and I haven't gotten mad and upset like you think I have. As I said, and WTFD10 said, this has been hammered into the ground and many people are sick of seeing people start new threads on topics like this, types of helmets, SB vs fod, Paid vs, Vollie and other issues that have been just like this thread.

You have the same option as I do of not having to read everything you see. You don't like my posts............... don't read them.......

Thread Information