Smile hI FROM THE NEWBIE

Hey everybody! I may have a somewhat unique situation. I joined the dept. about nine months ago. The thing is my husband is asst.cheif, brother in law is cheif, and mother in law is secretary. Makes for quite the family reunion Mon.nites. Right from the start my husband and I agreed no riding with him to fire calls. Don't want to show favortism. I stay away from the cheif's office as much as possible during drill nite. I took the EMT couse just one month after joining and can't take anything more 'til the next round of courses comes, but am anxiously awaiting more. Sometimes I feel so useless.Can't talk on radio, or drive truck, and just try and get someone to teach or show me anything. I think they think I know everything because I'm married to asst cheif.Hopefully I'll do some driver training now that spring's here.

Forum Member

Welcome to these forums. I too am new to them but having about 20 years on the job, I find the forums very interesting.

You will have plenty of time to drive and talk on the radio. This was told to me years ago when I first came on the job. Somedays, now I wish I didn't have to talk on the radio. :-D

Forum Member

Welcome Mary.

Enjoy your self and post something that you want know about. I am sure you will get a lot of replies.

Default YOU'LL GET YOUR FILL

MARY, YOU WILL GET YOUR FILL OF DRIVING AND USING THE RADIO. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRE SERVICE FOR 9 YEARS, 8 OF WHICH I HAVE BEEN AN ENGINEER. TRUST ME THERE ARE DAYS I NEVER WANT TO DRIVE OR RIDE IN THE CAPTS SEAT, JUST LET ME RIDE BACKWARDS AND LAY LOW AND LET IT BLOW

LEATHER FOREVER

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello Mary,
    I am pretty new as well. I just got on my first department last month and I am going to be taking my EMT course this summer. I am taking a driver/pumper operator course right now. Good luck to you!!

Andy

Welcome to the gang Mary.....I hope you enjoy this as much as we all do...As for feeling useless..DON'T...Your new..Your time will come...I know if your dept is anything like mine we have a main group of people who always drive...3 or 4 drivers out of 15 or 20....As for the radio..Just listen to what everyone else says...Pick up on it that way...Otherwise..Take everything you can in and ask lots of questions and maybe they'll take a hint and realize just because your hubby is Asst.Chief,You need to learn the basics..
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Welcome to the Fire Service and to the boards. Dont forget we all had to start at the beginning. A career of many years lies ahead of you, start slowly, keep your eyes and ears open, try to learn as much as you can from the other members. Above all if you wish to be a firefighter, Be the best that you can. In this profession you will never stop learning.

Default opinions wanted

About 2 months ago one of our capt. started a board in which to keep track of what trucks and fire equip. members knew. The board includes jr. and sr. members with no distinction of who's who, along with the trucks and other listing(ie: thermal imaging camera,scba etc). There's supposedly no time limit to finish the board. It's just there so the sr. members or drivers of the trucks know who knows what truck so they can send someone to get a piece of equip. and not have to explain what or where it is. My problem is certain people are turning it into a contest to see who gets done first,and are the sr members going to take the board to the scene so they know who knows what? just doesn't seem feesable to me.

Forum Member

If I read your post correctly, the officers have set up a "board" listing each truck and what is on that truck. Every member is suppose to learn those items and some how some way, put something on this board, indicating that they have mastered this task.

If this is correct, I think it is a good way for the members to achive this goal.

Taking a truck and starting on the left side, I would go down this side and learn everything about this piece of apparatus. I would go into each compantment and or running board and pick up eack tool or appliance and learn everything I could about that item. I would not ruch this. In fact I think I would take a picture of the truck and of each compartment with all the tools inside. I would have a reference to this truck when I wasn't at the station.

I would contuine this, until I got around to all the compartments and learned what each too or appliance was and what it did in the job of firefighting.

I actually did did when I came on the job and I still can tell you what is in those compartments!!

I hope this brings some insight for you.

Good Luck.

Default but at least you are in...

i had a baby 5 weeks ago, and i have never felt so completely useless at the firestation. I am just now getting back into the swing of things... it was rough, always feeling like I was letting the other firefighters down by being pregnant in the first place....but being happy about being pregnant too...

I wonder if it was just me or if other female firefighters get the guilt as well...

Hey congrats on the new baby. But this is only the beginning of your feeling like you're letting the other firefighters down. Whether you're a male or female firefighter you can only do so much, respond to so many calls etc. work and family sometimes get in the way. I have two children of my own (they live with me) and three step- children. There are many times that alarm goes off and I can't go.My children definitely come first. Although I'm lucky if it were a really big or important call my father-in -law lives four houses away,so if I need to I can drop them off. Either way you need to remember you can only give the tome you can, and don't feel guilty because you can't be there all the time.

Forum Member

Hello and welcome to the Firehouse Forums.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Mary, WELCOME, I know how you feel I am the chief and my husband is the captian of our dept. I am also the first female chief ever in our county, and let me tell you it is hard to balance all the family and dept business, you will get the training and all you need. I tell all
    my members that when we are on a scene or meeting my husband and I are not husband and wife It is business. and we are not best friends
    we don't have the buddy system. good luck and if you need any help just yell,
    RAKDX2

Thread Information