Forum Member

Default RIT RAT FART FAST team

What ever you call it in your area! How much time do you practice? What techniques do you cover in the training.

Does anyone have any bailout pictures?
    What do you call it in your area.

In Clermont county its called RIT. Hamilton county calls it RAT.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Well, we have a district chief that's a RAT

Here we call it RIG (rapid intervention group). And no, we dont train on it like we should. When we do train, we cover search methods, victim extrication and removal, how to supply air to a FF who's out, etc. Last time we did some wall breach practice as well.

Dave

Forum Member

We are currently working on putting our formal FAST team in place. We have all been through the self rescue training, and are currently working on getting as many people FAST trained as we can.

ffsmromstadt13 put together all of our stuff, along with some good Power Point presentations. We went to a hotel that was under construction and took some videos of bailing out a window and FF removal that he included in there.

Steve, you in here????????

MembersZone Subscriber

I helped one of our Assistant Chiefs put together a RIT training program for our department and the county association to our north.

It is a pretty basic program that focused on situations where RIT may be needed, fire behavior, building construction/collapse, accountabiity systems, MAYDAY and RIT response & deployment SOGs, tools & equipment and hands on techniques such as FF drags & carries, the Denver drill, the Columbus/Nance drill, etc. We also ran a simulated MAYDAY excercise.

For my department and our automatic aid dept. we split it up into three 3-hour drills. For the association we did it in one 10 hour day.

We based most of the program on the IFSTA Rapid Intervention Teams book & CD ROM as well as info from Jim Crawford's www.rapidintervention.com website

Is this basic training going to be enough? Maybe, maybe not but we are better prepared than we were before. Everybody is now at least aware that there could be more to a firefighter down situation than just dragging them out (and even that can be difficult). It has also definitely gotten the depts. in the county association thinking and doing more with firefighter safety and automatic mutual aid.

I was suprised to find in researching info for this training that there is no national standards for rapid intervention training. NFPA 1500 requires you to have one at all IDLH incidents but there is no standard on training for a RIT.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Default Re: RIT RAT FART FAST team

Originally posted by backdraft663
    RIT RAT FART FAST team
    You do that, you'll clean it up...

In my area its RIT. My dept most commonly trains on SCBA pack conversions, SCBA pack knowledge, lifts, drags, carrys, forcible entry, and team operations. The two drills that we use as the "fun" or advanced level of RIT training are the Denver and Nance drills for extricating a downed FF.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Around here it depends on the dept. preference. Here we have FAST, out towards the west end of the county, its RIT.

As far a training goes, I believe it is search techniques, victim removal (manuual, with a tool, with rope, combinations), breaching walls, and some other stuff.

I hope to get my FAST cert. soon. There is a class coming around in the fall that I hope to attend.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default NFPA RIT training standard

Just so everyone is aware, NFPA is currently establishing a technical committee for a new RIT training standard. What the time frame will be I do not know.
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Forum Member

We call them RIT teams. Usually staffed with 4 members, 1 being an EMT. We haven't done as much training as we should. We use members from different depts to fill out a RIT team at a scene. Since we have mutual aid anyway at all structures, the ciefs thought it would make more sense that way.
    As for the FART team....that is my assist chief after eating a bowl of cheerios. Sometimes I think HazMat is needed
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Originally posted by LeuitEFDems
    We call them RIT teams. Usually staffed with 4 members, 1 being an EMT. We haven't done as much training as we should. We use members from different depts to fill out a RIT team at a scene. Since we have mutual aid anyway at all structures, the ciefs thought it would make more sense that way.
    As for the FART team....that is my assist chief after eating a bowl of cheerios. Sometimes I think HazMat is needed
    FART means

Fast
    acting
    responce
    team
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

MembersZone Subscriber

My farts are definitely fast acting, but unfortunately can be long lasting too.

I'm sorry, I would laugh if I heard someone ask for a fart.

Eric

Forum Member

Originally posted by EricCSU
    My farts are definitely fast acting, but unfortunately can be long lasting too.

I'm sorry, I would laugh if I heard someone ask for a fart.

Eric

Hey Dispatch, Can you send me a FART Team?

Well sure FART team will be on its way.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by backdraft663

Hey Dispatch, Can you send me a FART Team?

Well sure FART team will be on its way.
    "Big FART coming your way!"

Forum Member

By me it is known as RIT or FAST. My department has a set day of the month we do RIT training. We train on our own most of the time, but we do invite other departments to train with us on occasion. We try to mix the basics with extreme stuff. One month you can be doing drags the next month you can be cutting your way through a collapse scenario. Our training includes: Drags, SCBA change over, different harnesses, patient assessment, area assessment, radio procedures, bailouts, ladder removal, high point ladder removal, up and down stairs, Denver Rescue, Nance drill, entanglement hazards, wall breaching, power saws for RIT (exterior wall and floor cutting), RIT collapse scenarios (Try cutting through a mattress one day), and the list goes on. We find if you mix the training up people stay a little more interested.

Backdraft
    If you are going to practice bailouts make sure you have a safety line attached to the person. People have been hurt bad practicing bailouts without them.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Possibly overheard on fireground radios in the future:

"IC to SO, gimme a PAR on the FART on the C side ASAP!"

Man, I thought 10-codes were confusing.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

Well we wouldn't have anything to do with F.A.R.T. since it is a police function.

Fatal
    Accident
    Reconstruction
    Team

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is raining, is it a WET FART?

Eric

Forum Member

If thats the case, it is going to require a higher level of expertise. You would need

Special
    High
    Intensity
    Training
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information