MembersZone Subscriber

Default San Francisco Fire Department Question

Hello all,
    I just finished watching "The Bravest" DVD. There was only four episodes on there, but they were great. On the episode with SFFD, I noticed all of the guys on the fire were wearing long coats and what looked like duty pants, not bunker pants. I watched it again, to see if I just missed anything, and I actually couldn't find bunker pants anywhere on the whole episode.

So, my question is: what is the protocol for SFFD and am I just seeing an isolated incident? Do they ever wear bunker pants?

I'm really not trying to start a 3/4 pants vs. bunker pants thread; it's all been done. Just trying to learn. Thanks guys

Eric

You are not imagining things...

Once upon a time, the SFFD were allowed to wear thier wool "station pants" into a fire. The theory being that they were non-flammable, somewhat heat shielding, and took no time to put on since you were already wearing them (some of the downtown companies spend a lot of time out of the house, and it was faster to go to the fire than change first- in a city of old dry wood structures built against each other, it's not a bad idea). Besides, it's been done this way for 125 years!

Along came a chief from out of town, who decided that this was not safe, and he made changes... One of them being that full PPE is required at all fires.

Here are some of the good reasons to wear wool pants:
    Imagine climbing 15 flights of high rise in full turnouts. Now imagine it wearing a coat and wool pants. Ahhhh. Response times shortened by 20-30 seconds at the door of the firehouse (read about old dry wooden buildings built against each other above.) How many fires do you get vs. the number of alarms, false reports of fire, and bar-b-que's?(not really a good excuse).

And some reasons to not wear 'em wools:
    Your knees can take a beating when crawling in the hallway. Ouch! Turnouts protect you better from heat, and can add enough time to your life to get out of that bad situation. Full PPE's are the accepted standard of fire protection and make the insurance people happy (even in a self insured city). Less injuries and burns (have not verified this one) than before.

EDIT

Oh yeah. The bunker pants were primarily reserved for night use, as they were easier and quicker to get into when getting out of the bunk. I think there was some argument about "most fires happen at night" but I wouldn't give much strength to it.

Forum Member

Hello,

I work for Sacramento Fire Department...and we still wear our wool duty pants into fires. We have an option of bunker pants; grass pants; or duty wools.

Forum Member

...And while Sacramento FD is still wearing wools, they have not seen a higher injury rate for people opting to wear wools instead of bunkers, and I've never heard of any firefighters suffering major lower extremity burns (and these guys see more fire than any other department in the area).

Forum Member

I believe Boston still has a bunker pant optional policy as well, again with no huge spike in injuries.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also noticed that the crew on the "Squad" stood up in the back of a open box truck. Is that common prafctice there? I know standing up on runs, before closed in cabs was a NO NO ( we all did it). But just thought in 2004 wasn't alot of that left. Is there any other cities that practice this?

MembersZone Subscriber

I also noticed the open cab walk-in squad and was thinking that if they had to brake hard or rolled, those guys would be toast.

Eric

Where might one purchase one of these DVD's....Is this the same series that was on t.v. where they went around to places like Camden and whatnot??? I might be mistakin
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

We have an option of bunker pants; grass pants; or duty wools.
    Do the ladies get to wear grass skirts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ndvfdjrff
    Where might one purchase one of these DVD's....Is this the same series that was on t.v. where they went around to places like Camden and whatnot??? I might be mistakin
    Try here on amazon.com

Just so you know, it has four episodes (88 minutes), three of which are FDNY (two 9/11 memorial), and one is SFFD. I don't know if they made a DVD for the episodes on Jersey City, Camden, Billings, Dallas, or all the other episodes.

Eric
    Last edited by EricCSU; 04-16-2004 at 09:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I bought my DVD the other day..should be here on monday (HOPEFULLY) Better hurry up though when I ordered mine it said they only had a few left. Its great that they put those episodes on DVD I miss the show alot that was an awesome show...its to bad they took it off the air. Ohwell maybe somethin else will come along eventually
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Cheffie sent me a book for my birthday, HOOK AND LADDERS, by Larry Shapiro, MBI Publishing Company, 2002.

It features SFFD, with their tiller trucks, and one of the shots is taken in front of "The Dog in the Fog" (not sure if its a pub or what), but they are in 3/4 coats, and station dress. There is one wearing bunker pants, but oddly enough he's the Battalion Chief. Go figure eh. LOL. The shot is a mix of "Truckies" and "Engine" guys.

One thing they all have in common though, is that they all wear "COW" on their heads. No "Tactical Tupperwear" in SF!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Do the ladies get to wear grass skirts
    The real question is what do we wear under the grass skirts?

I also noticed that the crew on the "Squad" stood up in the back of a open box truck.
    I actually saw a truck this morning while I was walking home from the grocery store and there were two guys standing up in the back. Don't know if they had their bunker pants or woolies on though.

Then again, it was around 9 or so this morning, bright blue skies and a beautiful San Fran morning. They also were not on a call and were more than likely just heading back to the station when I saw them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    One thing they all have in common though, is that they all wear "COW" on their heads. No "Tactical Tupperwear" in SF!
    As much as it pains me to say it (since I am a fairly diehard cow man myself) SFFD no longer issues leathers, and there are plenty of plastic lids there as well.... Can't win um all.....
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Thread Information