Forum Member

Lightbulb Windshield Removal???

Which method do you use for windshield removal...

chopping with ax?
    sawing with a recip saw?
    using a winshield saw?
    other?

Why do you think your method is better?

Have you tried the 'shaving cream method'?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

In my dept we either use the GlasMaster saw or a sawzall to remove the windshield.

'shaving cream method'??????? never heard that term before.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

We use GlasMaster also. Chopping with axe takes too long. Our sawzall is in a box in a compartment, it's just quicker to grab the GlasMaster. Other- we used to pry the moldings off and use a glass removal mastik cutter thingy but that took way too long.

Have seen the shaving cream, never saw much need for it. We just throw a sheet from one side to the other inside and cut.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

In the past, we would use the sawzall...

But in the last few extrication classes we've sent people to, they strongly suggested not removing the windshield at all. Instead, use an axe to make a crease at the base of the windshield and flap the whole roof forward onto the hood area.

We did several and it seemed to work well. Haven't had an opportunity to do it in the field yet.

"chopping with an axe"...anyone ever heard of the Rescuer Induced Fear Factor? Who want to be sitting in a car and have someone swinging an axe at you through the windshield? We us the glassmaster or the sawzall. I am not a fan of flapping the roof, I find it just as fast to remove the roof as to flap it.

Shane

Well, we usually end up using a sawzall. But if that gets delegated to another assignment, we have used an axe.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I feel a bad joke coming on but what's the shaving cream method?
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Forum Member

Here is the like to the post about using shaving cream to aid in windshield removal.

We use the GlasMaster or Sawzall. I have never seen the "shaving cream method" used.

dazed and confused

Default Why bother with windshield removal?

Originally posted by nutty17
    "chopping with an axe
    Usually that method is used simply to weaken a line between A-posts so that the windshield can fold onto the hood more easily.

It's more like short little chops just to weaken the class, not full swings through the windshield.

We've talked about this a bunch in the past... usually there isn't a good reason to remove a windshield. If you're taking a roof, just take the windshield with it by cutting low across the windshield a-post to a-post. Or flap it all forward. When flapping, be cognizant of the wind catching the assembly and flipping back over. When removing with the glass intact, try to avoid carrying the roof over the patients as it now has a big piece of sharp glass dangling from it.

If we're removing the roof, we use the GlasMaster and cut low between a-posts. Most of the glass dust remains outside the vehicle when using this. It's quick, easy, and requires no cords or batteries. It can also remove tempered glass windows using the notched T, the hammer, or the integral window punch in the handle.

If we're flapping, we normally just cut low on the a-posts (and into the windshield) with HRT cutters on each side, and simply force the windshield to act as a hinge. If necessary, we sometimes use the axe to further weaken the windshield between the "bites" of the HRT cuts.

Yes, there are times when you might not be able to flap the roof. There are times when you might not be able to completely remove the roof. And there are times when you might need to remove all the windshield glass to gain access or something. But for your "routine" collisions where the windshield glass is being removed to assist in a roof removal, it's probably not necessary.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-17-2004 at 02:38 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Shaving cream huh ?????? wonders never cease, next drill will have to see about it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Ok so thats what the shaving cream method is. In some cases I have used duct tape to get the same results, plus it would seem a hell of a lot less messy.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

That shaving cream method sounds effective, we are having an ext. drill soon. I will tell the officer in charge about it, and bring some with me.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We try and remove the windshield before we remove the roof. I know it takes just a bit longer but we control the glass all the way to the ground much easier. Can’t remember the last time we flapped a roof on a call, its usually safer to cut the roof off and not having to worry about it blowing back onto us (never know what kind of knot someone may use to tie it down). We still train doing the flap just in case. In regards to removing the glass we mostly use the Glasmaster saw, works very quickly. We may also use our reciprocating saw, we cut thru the a post, thru the windshield and out the other a post. If by chance we have some extra time we will use spreaders to remove the glass. Lot less glass debris that way.

Forum Member

I prefer to use the Glass Master for the windshield. Some people swear by the cip saw, but by the time someone gets it out, generator running, and the cord reel ran, I can have everything cut that I need.

As for the shaving cream, I've read about it a long time ago, but never used it. Usually just cover the patients with a sheet/blanket......

Forum Member

Finally, a replacement for the smooth bore/fog debate.....to cream or not!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FIGJAM

Windsheild removal can be so slow- just learn to work around it

Flap to the front of the vehicle instead of the rear, etc
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Windshield

We used to take the whole windshield out then we started to use the a-post to a-post on the bottom. Lot less fragments flying around and alot less chance of injury moving glass around. We used to use a Excalibur to do all our cutting, but now we mostly use the Glassmaster, a excellent tool. The Excalibur is a excellent tool also, very good if there is anything like a head threw the windshield or limb.We have it pre-hooked to a air bottle on a shoulder harness pack and holster for tool. We never flap forward, usually take it off, not much more time involved, unless it is not necessary.
    Burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Forum Member

Glass Master all the way.

Forum Member

My company uses a glasmaster. However, on older cars, I used to strip all of the metal holding the windshield in and then remove the windshield as a whole unit. Can be done with one guy.

Forum Member

Our dept.will normally use a recip saw taking the bottom of windshield and both "A" posts in one evolution. We have 3 saws, one being a 24 volt cordless. We used pvc pipe to construct a holster for it mounted in a compartment, just grab and go. We also mounted a nylon sheath to the top of the saw that hols extra blades. The saw has two batteries and an adapter to run it by 110 volt when your batteries poop out.

Thread Information