Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Wool Vs. Brush Pants

This is for the 3/4 boot/coat guys and anybody who is interested in that PPE issue.

What would the better duty pant be?

Wool or brush pants.

I dont know much about wool pants, I cant imagine wearing them, they seem that they would be very itchy and hot.

What I do wear on a daily basis is wildland brush pants. I have upgraded to Advance pants as opposed to nomex. Cargo pockets, roomy, low leg closures, etc... Nice pants.

I would imagine that the Advance brush pants would give more protection then the wool, but I dont know if there have been any such studies.

So, what is the more protective/comfortable/effective type of pant to wear for use with 3/4 boots and coat for structure fire suppression?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Where did you buy your pants from? I am intrested in this.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Originally posted by BLSboy
    Where did you buy your pants from? I am intrested in this.
    I bought my brush pants from a local guy. They were made by a company called Western Shelter Systems.

http://www.westernshelter.com/

I have a kaki and a green pair of the Crew Boss pant, both in Advance fabric.

http://www.westernshelter.com/product.php?ID=120

There are a number of places that carry these pants, IIRC National Firefighter Corp, maybe the Firestore.com.

The Advace pants are 7 oz, well made, comfy, and they seem very durable. I am very pleased with them so far.

I have never wore wool pants, but I cant imagine them being better then the advance pants.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Wool Vs. Brush Pants

I have upgraded to Advance pants as opposed to nomex.
    You do realize that Advance™ is 40% Nomex®?

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

The Advance pants are wildland pants, they are Nomex/Kevlar. They added the kevlar to give them more rip resistance.

Default Confused here...

Bro- Are you looking strickly for a brush pant or station uniform?

Default Re: Re: Wool Vs. Brush Pants

Originally posted by jpsmith2

You do realize that Advance™ is 40% Nomex®?
    Yes, I realise that it is 40% Nomex.

From Morning Pride Website:

(Advace)

Kevlar 60%/Nomex 40% - This Kevlar Nomex blend product is probably the most durable outer shell and offers 300% improvement in char length over Nomex IIIa outer shells. Kevlar/Nomex stays flexible and supple, maintaining it's integrity after moderately severe thermal exposure. While Kevlar/Nomex is a superior product to Nomex, customers are cautioned that the premium outer shells (PBI and PBO) offer strong comparative advantages. Kevlar/Nomex should be considered a Nomex upgrade rather than a PBI/PBO equivalent. Nomex/Kevlar is priced between Nomex and the premium shell alternatives. We believe Kevlar/Nomex is one of the best of the new products positioned between the premium shells and Nomex with very good comfort and durability characteristics. Kevlar/Nomex is our recommendation for knee and/or pocket reinforcements; it wears like iron. Kevlar/Nomex is also now available with an enhanced water repellency treatment and in a choice of weights and pics. The Kevlar/Nomex product has traditionally been available as a three pic (three strands form the rip stop box). But two pic cloth is also available now. While three pic rip stop should be more durable than two pic, the two pic product here is an ounce heavier so that should compensate. Two pic products will generally be more supple and less likely to become nappy or fuzzy with wear (one less thread strand 'presented' for abrasion in the box weave).

From the Southern Mills Website:

Advance

A Nomex/ Kevlar Blend Outer Shell Fabric
    The best VALUE in outer shells - hardworking, durable and dependable. As its name implies, Advance represents a textile engineering feat. Advance is a unique blend of Nomex and Kevlar (the same tough fiber used in military ballistic vests and helmets) that offers outstanding, uncompromised performance structural firefighters require everyday. When Southern Mills created this unique combination of two proven, inherently flame resistant aramid fibers, we dramatically increased the thermal strength of the resulting blend. In the process, we also accomplished a durability breakthrough, yet the cost of the fabric remains economical. The formidable strength of a meta- and para-aramid blend along with its special rip-stop weave gives Advance its excellent tear strength and puncture resistance. These important features, as well as Advance's flexibility, are maintained even after extreme thermal exposure, which helps increase the wear life of garments made from Advance.

Advance is available in 7.0 oz rip-stop weave in Black, Navy, Yellow, Gold or Khaki with Shelltite or Super Shelltite finish for more durable water repellancy.

Forum Member

My career dept recently changed from a 100 percent superwash FR wool lightweight trouser that we wore under our bunker gear at structure and similar fires, or wore as outerwear if the circumstances dictated it, wildfires, MVA's etc.
    Our new trouser is a BDU style FR Cotton (Proban, similar to Indura) trouser. It has had mixed reviews, it is a better wildfire pant, but is hotter than the wool, when used as duty wear. Myself, I dislike them, I ( and a lot of others) found the sizing unusual, and when 2 pairs arrived that fitted me, one was defective due to poor quality control. As a result I'm still wearing the old wool trousers until these matters are rectified, it's taken over a month so far....

Thread Information