+ Reply to Thread

Default Fiery Fatal Crash in Lewiston

Further charges pending in crash
    By BILL MICHELMORE
    News Niagara Bureau
    4/16/2004

Click to view larger picture

LARRY KENSINGER
    State police arrested two people on charges of driving while intoxicated in a fiery crash late Wednesday. A female passenger of this car died; another is hospitalized.

NIAGARA FALLS - One of the drivers in Wednesday night's fatal collision in Lewiston may be charged with vehicular manslaughter, the Niagara County district attorney's office said Thursday.
    The two drivers, Kelly P. Chellino, 35, of Gasport, and Jason D. Jakubek, 22, of Lockport, have been charged with driving while intoxicated. Jakubek had been drinking earlier at a bar in the Village of Lewiston, state police said. Both men are scheduled to appear in Lewiston Town Court on April 27.

The district attorney's office is investigating which driver crossed the center line on two-lane Ridge Road, causing the fiery 11 p.m. crash. That driver may be charged with vehicular manslaughter, the DA's office said.

Christina M. Jones, 18, of Lockport, a passenger in Chellino's car, died in the collision. Jones' friend Mary Sears, 21, of Newfane, a passenger in the same vehicle, was in critical condition Thursday in the intensive care unit of Erie County Medical Center. The two are former students of Newfane Senior High School.

State police said the Jakubek car was heading east on Ridge Road when it collided head-on with the westbound vehicle driven by Chellino. Jakubek's vehicle was then sideswiped by a car driven by Danielle L. Walker, 21, of Barker, police said.

Chellino's vehicle burst into flames after the collision, said State Trooper Anthony Larock.

"When I arrived, there were still people trapped inside," Larock said. "The car was absolutely twisted, and the passenger side was demolished."

Larock fought back flames as he cut Chellino and Sears out of their seat belts and pulled them from the vehicle. He said it was one of the worst collisions he has seen in his 10 years on the force. Larock was assisted by fellow Troopers Jeffrey Schneggenburger and Danny Cullen.

Jones was lying in a watery roadside ditch with the car on top of her, Larock said. She was pronounced dead at the scene by Niagara County Coroner Russell Jackman.

Jakubek, Chellino and Walker were treated in Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston and released.

Judy Sears of Olcott spent much of Thursday telephoning churches and convents, asking nuns and ministers to pray for her niece.

Mary Sears' father, Lawrence, a retired Delphi Thermal Systems employee, and her mother, Tammy, took turns keeping vigil at the hospital Thursday. The couple have three other children: Lawrence Jr., 19, Benjamin, 15, and Elizabeth, 14.

e-mail: bmichelmore@buffnews.com

The vehicle in the picture is a Geo Tracker. Two companies responded to this one with my company called MA for an ambulance, but we were disregarded enroute. A good job by Lewiston Fire Co. No. 1, and Upper Mountain Fire Company.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Default Re: Fiery Fatal Crash in Lewiston

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    The vehicle in the picture is a Geo Tracker. Two companies responded to this one with my company called MA for an ambulance, but we were disregarded enroute. A good job by Lewiston Fire Co. No. 1, and Upper Mountain Fire Company.
    I'll second your 'atta boy'. I heard part of the call....that was one frantic trooper when he arrived on scene and requested the FD expedite because he had a vehicle on fire with people trapped in it. A tip of the hat to the Trooper for being able to get two of the victims out. I am familiar with one of the drivers (we ran some EMS calls for a family member who had terminal cancer)........I'm not surprised. Too bad an 18 yr old had to learn the hard way and end their young life in a muddy ditch.

Default Re: Re: Fiery Fatal Crash in Lewiston

Originally posted by TCFire

I'll second your 'atta boy'. I heard part of the call....that was one frantic trooper when he arrived on scene and requested the FD expedite because he had a vehicle on fire with people trapped in it. A tip of the hat to the Trooper for being able to get two of the victims out. I am familiar with one of the drivers (we ran some EMS calls for a family member who had terminal cancer)........I'm not surprised. Too bad an 18 yr old had to learn the hard way and end their young life in a muddy ditch.
    Definitely a big tip of the leather for the Trooper that pulled two from the vehicle on fire and attempted to rescue the third, but was driven back by flames.
    This year seems to be shaping up to be a rough one for Niagara County teenagers. I hope I am wrong.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information