Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default "You only spend 1% of your time on emergency calls!"

Just curious how many of you have ever heard that uttered from the mouth of your chief? It runs like a scratched record I don't understand his obsession with this phrase. It makes me think his motive is try and make the crews feel guilty about something (maybe we get paid) I don't know.
    One time he brought this up during staff meeting which had no bearing on anything I could figure. I politely told him his "1% of the time" is 100% of the reason myself and every other shift firefigther was here and it seemed to me that without us he would have no reason to be a paid chief (simply be no one to manage).
    What's wrong with this chief? In my department it appears that the moment you put on a White shirt and a Gold Badge there is an automatic mind change of "What's in it for me" and the rest of you are necessary evil.
    I get the impression this is far more common occurance than it should be.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Nope, never heard that phrase.

We have a great chief, the only proble is he gets realy frustraited trying to keep 28 volunteers motivated and such.

He has been know to proclaim:

"It just doesnt matter."

"NO F&*KN' WHINERS!"

"You have a fire truck, you have a responsibility, so you get your ***** out there and you fight that F*&KN' FIRE!!!"

"I feel like I am banging my head against the wall, and the only way to get things done is to keep it up until my head comes out the other side."

"You can lead a firefighter to a drop tank, but you cant make them draft."

"That sounds like a training officer issue to me."

"That sounds like a safety officer issue to me."

and my personal favorite...

"Your breaking my heart *****wipe."

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES
    Nope, never heard that phrase.

We have a great chief, the only proble is he gets realy frustraited trying to keep 28 volunteers motivated and such.

He has been know to proclaim:

"It just doesnt matter."

"NO F&*KN' WHINERS!"

"You have a fire truck, you have a responsibility, so you get your ***** out there and you fight that F*&KN' FIRE!!!"

"I feel like I am banging my head against the wall, and the only way to get things done is to keep it up until my head comes out the other side."

"You can lead a firefighter to a drop tank, but you cant make them draft."

"That sounds like a training officer issue to me."

"That sounds like a safety officer issue to me."

and my personal favorite...

"Your breaking my heart *****wipe."

Another fine example of leadership.....

Posted by bfcf623

Just curious how many of you have ever heard that uttered from the mouth of your chief? It runs like a scratched record I don't understand his obsession with this phrase. It makes me think his motive is try and make the crews feel guilty about something (maybe we get paid) I don't know.
    One time he brought this up during staff meeting which had no bearing on anything I could figure. I politely told him his "1% of the time" is 100% of the reason myself and every other shift firefigther was here and it seemed to me that without us he would have no reason to be a paid chief (simply be no one to manage).
    What's wrong with this chief? In my department it appears that the moment you put on a White shirt and a Gold Badge there is an automatic mind change of "What's in it for me" and the rest of you are necessary evil.
    I get the impression this is far more common occurance than it should be.
    Remind him that he is only leading the department 1% of the time and dealing with the politicians 99% of the time... then ask him who makes him look good!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Your on to something CaptainGonzo

After thinking about it (very briefly) he actually leads the department way less than 1%. Easily 70% of are calls are handled at a level no higher than Captain. So lets see .03 of 1.0% maybe that is why he meddles so much and creates chaos. That could be a whole topic on its own.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Another fine example of leadership.....

Truthfully it seems to be rather effective...I think it goes back to some sort of reverse psychology theory or some such thing.

True, it is not exactly what you would call a textbook approach, but there have been few troubles over the last few years, or so it seems.

Our group of voly guys have rather thick skin (and skulls ) and are pretty much unphased by most things. I think the chief has to be forcefull in his leadership style to get through to the troopers. They just love it when he "sweet" talks them, I think it might have something to do with there being a significant numer of former military guys on the VFD.

We used to have a "Sarg" on the department. He was a retired army drill sargent and realy could use colorfull phrases so to speak. I do believe he cursed a few fires out over the years. It was difficult for him to break the habit when talking on the radio. Scanner land had some good entertainment when Sarg was IC.

Sadly he passed away 2 years ago, he is much missed.

There is a lot of complaining from the guys, as I am sure there is in most fire departments. For instance complaints about how a brush truck is set up or some such thing.

Usualy the chiefs responce is (paraphrase) "If you dont like it, you know where the tools are, do your thing and report back."

More often then not nothing is done by the complainer. But, sometimes they do break out the tool box and make changes...then they get complained to by the other guys that dont like their hanywork.

Vicious cycle.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Samson, kind of reminds me of a chief I had when I started. All vinegar on the outside, but the guy had a heart of gold and could damn near IC any scene better than any Career Chief the county had in management.

It's unfortunate that you gotta be so "gentle" with people these days. I wouldn't dare question any of my superiors when I started. Now, these little PC, Sawed-off Punks come in and disrespect everyone, question anything you ask them to do, act like you are disturbing them when it's time to clean up or wash apparatus and so on. And if you yell at them or use a little bit of forcefulness, you are violating them in some way.

Let's go back to the Handlebar Mustached, Tattoed, Chain Smoking Chief or Loo who will put a foot in your *** for screwing up, but is fair and would rather die than sell his crew out or see anyone in trouble. That's the kind of guy we need these days.

Dennis Smith talked of a Chief in his book, "Report from Engine Company 82," who was a "Real Ball Buster, but would never hurt ya."

I think the chief is tryin to remind you that you have other duties besides just emergencies. As a public servant you have to deal with people. Obviously you have to take are of the house. Or if there are other things to be done then just quit whining and do them. as far as the way people get talked to sometimes you just have to toughen up. People want to be big bad alpha male big dog lead the pack firefighters till they get bi#$hed at, then they become whinier than my 3 year old. Yes everyone has a right to be spoken to civily (I can't spell) and not to be cerbally abused. but if a CO is just fed up and pops off once and a while be a man and suck it up. You'll get your day too.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    It's unfortunate that you gotta be so "gentle" with people these days. I wouldn't dare question any of my superiors when I started. Now, these little PC, Sawed-off Punks come in and disrespect everyone, question anything you ask them to do, act like you are disturbing them when it's time to clean up or wash apparatus and so on. And if you yell at them or use a little bit of forcefulness, you are violating them in some way.
    So it's not just me that's noticing this?
    Not isolated to my part of the country?

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Originally posted by TillerMan25

Let's go back to the Handlebar Mustached, Tattoed, Chain Smoking Chief or Loo who will put a foot in your *** for screwing up, but is fair and would rather die than sell his crew out or see anyone in trouble. That's the kind of guy we need these days.

Amen to that!

Originally posted by TillerMan25:
    BINGO!! Well said. See it around here a lot. Heaven forbid they take an *** chewing as a learning experience instead of a personal attack.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Default Clarification on my post

Methinks my post was "misconstrued" a wee bit.

In reference to Samson's post..it sounds like his Chief likes to "pass the buck" and when the defacation hits the oscillation he feels it's necessary to call his personnel "defacational remains on tp".
    "That sounds like a training officer issue to me or" "that sounds like a safety officer issue to me" is bullscat. The ultimate responsibility lies with the Chief. If there is training and/or safety issue, it's up to the Chief to munch a few butts to get it resolved!

There's nothing wrong with giving an *** chewing once in awhile..and sometimes getting one puts things into perspective.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Tillerman you definitely got that one right. Theres seems to be an epidemic of little snot nosed rookies, that don't have any respect for more experienced guys or officers.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

All we ever hear around our dept is:

"Why do i have to do everything"

"Everyone here is nothin but a bunch of pig farmers"

"Nothin but a bunch of thieves".....

Thats what our Chief says to us
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Default PC/whiners/5/25's apply here!

Whiners?Yep! Softtails?Yep!5/25's? OH YEAH, my favorite meal!This grizzled halfbroken line bull is about as Anti all the above as you can get.Looky here pup,this is my pedigree(papers/years).When you can meet/exceed my expectations you can run the show.Since you be a bit lawn colored,and a few schools short of fully qualified,I think we will be doin' it my way for a while longer.If you care to discuss it we can do it back at the "house"but DON'T YOU EVER CHALLENGE me on the Fireground.You won't like the results.My job,despite all the modern training,is not necessarily to be gentle and perfectly PC.My JOB,pure and simple,is to keep my personnel healthy and make sure they make it back at the end of every job.No small task today.Unique to your part of the world?I sure hope not!The next generation needs to have it DRILLED into their being that this isn't a cushy 9-5 job.It is(or can be)a grueling battle with elements who have no respect for what you think is right or wrong,and who's ONLY purpose in being is to kill or maim you.NEVER let your guard down,and make sure everyone around you has the same concern.Not as many of us as there once was but the survivors,the "crusties"owe it to those coming to show/lead the way by setting the example before it's too late.I had great "old world"line officers/teachers;many have passed now but I still remember what I was taught.And the ones that "bit"my tail a little are the ones I remember best.T.C.

Thread Information