Thread: Foam

Default Foam

I was wondering how many Volunteer departments use foam when battling car or structure fires. My department does not use foam yet but I think it is a great possibility that we will in the near future since our new pumper is equipped with foam capibilities.

MembersZone Subscriber

We occasionally us an eductor, but we are trying to get into discharge side systems.

When our rescue pumper gets here in December, it will have a Hale FoamLogix (similar to FoamPro) system on it.

we will be starting to add foam to the tanks of our brush rigs, aka "dump & pump" this year. We are trying, through grants and whatnot to scrape up the money to put CAFS on our frontline engine.

Foam is a great tool, especially for rural departments that have to truck water to fires.

I now this is gonna sound mean but: WAKE UP ITS 2004, using foam in fire situations is a commonly accepted practice. I fight the old guy network that believes FFing is unchanged since 1972 and an from the Northeast where "150 years of tradition unimpeided by progress" is a way of life for some, but you have to stay current and foam one of those things.

once again sorry to sound mean and vent.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

Derek, it's sad to say but on of the impediments of getting started with foam is the cost involved. Not just the cost of the equipment to mix and spray, but the cost of the foam itself.

Suggest to your chief that you bill for the cost of the foam. most insurance carriers will pick up that cost.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thumbs up

FOAM is one of the best things ever in my opinion. My engine has and it is used on most building fires. Nothing knocks down a fire then anything better then a smooth bore nozzle and some white stuff running though it.......

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you will find that you are not alone in your limited use of foam. Our dept's only engine is 25 years old, and did not come with on-board foam capabilities. We had an old in-line eductor for many years, but there was so little room on the engine to carry pails of concentrate, that it was never used. The general pain in the *** that eductors create often discourages dept's with older engines from using foam regularly.

We recently bought a POK Handy Foam portable unit (shoulder carried reservior with a 1 1/2" discharge), and it is used off of the old engine for vehicle, brush, and garbage fires. Our new engines due this fall will all have on-board foam and I am certain it will become one of the main tools in our box.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Like you said all the foam equipment is very expensive. Right now we are concentrating our funds towards new gear since ours is very outdated. We had just purchased new SCBA's for the truck which needed updating very badly. We also purchased the new pumper with some new hose so we dont have much money to be spending on the foam yet.

Forum Member

We use foam on all car and structure fires. The first out pumper has a 30 gallon foam tank so all the pump operator has to do is get the lines charged then push a button to get Class A foam running through the lines. The percentage of foam to water is controled with an electronic guage (FoamPro).
    Our Mutual Aid from Baton Rouge, St George engine 653, pours a 5 gallon bucket of foam concentrate straight into the water tank when filling the truck. So it mixes enroute to the call.
    Last edited by cellblock; 04-17-2004 at 11:37 AM.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=57413

Thought this could help with your question, I gave my answer in that thread.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 engines that have 30 gal. pre-plumb class A foam systems. Both work very well. Our new engine has the Foam-Pro. Our response area is fairly well hydranted so waters not that big of an issue.

Now replacing the foam is a different issue. We do not have any extra at the station because we are told it cost to much. Now! if the foam is going to cost to much to replace then we should have saved the money spent on installing the Class A system and purchased other items of need.

Rural areas? CAFS CAFS CAFS

About 10 yrs ago we used to have a foam pump on our main pumper until the foam ruined the pump by corroding the inside of the pump and destroying all the gaskets to the pump. However, that was not the end to the Foam we looked in to portable foam units and then we found the PROpack by Scotty and have had it for about five years and love it. We use it to mop up structure fire, barn fires (for hay and straw), vehicle fires, and illegal brush fires. We keep at least 20 gal of foam on our main pumper. When we have to call the State Fire Marshal in, they like to see that we used foam to mop up because it does not destroy evidence

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a link to a previous statement I made about using foam. I hope it helps.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=58992
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Both of our engines carry eductors and foam concentrate but we never use it. Like others have stated, the time and labor involved to get evrything set up is the main impedement. If we had an onboard foam system I'm sure we would use it more often.

We drill on it regularly and would use it for something like a gasoline tanker fire but for everyday car fires, etc. it's not worth the hassle.

I also agree with the others that CAFS seems like the way to go for non-hydranted areas.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

We have just recently started using foam more often (last couple of years). WE don't have a foam system on the truck yet, we use an eductor. We are starting to use it after knockdown to help prevent rekindles. Just bill what we use to the insurance company. I think I'll start a new thread about which foam most people are using.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Thread Information