Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfire7
    Where I live, one of the quickest ways to hang out your "I am a MORON" sign is to put a light bar on top of your POV! We have worked hard to overcome the MORON factor but there are still some holdouts. The only way to mitigate the factor is to issue brains with your turnouts.
    We don't usually have a problem with the "home grown" guys....you know, they guys who started out in our department. The only ones who we sometimes have a problem with is new guys who transfer from another department, where that was the norm.

We had one guy who joined about 12 years ago, a transplant from Denham Springs. Had a lightbar on his pickup (I think it was a Datsun or something like that). Chief made him take it off first day. He's outgrown a lot of those "whackerish" tendencies since then (most, but not all ) I made him a captain last year.

Another guy just joined about a month ago. About 2 weeks ago he told me he had just installed strobes and a siren in his Suburban (not a nice new Suburaban, mind you, a 15 year old beater)....

FNG: "Man, I just put a siren and lights in my ride....it's sweet!"

Me: "That's nice. Don't let me catch you using them in my district."

FNG: "WHAT? Why not?"

Me: "Because I don't allow sirens in POV's....I'm the chief and I don't have a siren...and you can run lights when I say you can run lights."

FNG: (Looking like I just shot his dog.....) "Oh.....OK......"
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Why not just move closer to the station?
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 01-20-2006 at 06:13 PM.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Default Wacker Alert!!

This thread doesnt do much to dispel the "wacker persona" ........

Forum Member

I just laugh at how much people spend on lights when 90% of the time the people don't see them anyway. Driving like a hellion with 8 thousand lights flashing while tailgating the person in front of you till they move gives a bad name for yourself AND your dept.

EDIT: This is my first post. Hey everyone.

Forum Member

I have to say that in my experience in our town with my bluelight I also get people to move for me. I dont tailgate people, i dont do stupid **** otherwise our chief will find out and will have us remove the blue lights. but during the times that i have used my blue light i have also had a good success rate. People always move out of the way, whether its changing lanes or moving to the side i never had a problem getting to a call.

Forum Member

Nope thats just cell block again, If you look through history this is the biggest loser ever. All he talks about is lighta for pov's. The funny thing is he comes from a dept that runs like 50 calls year.
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

50 or 100,000 calls it matters not.
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer Irish bars, where you can get a good black and tan!

Light bars, hummm.... Got a blue light, the only time it gets used is when my kids are playing in my rockin vw passat wagon!

Oh, I forgot to mention that when we make budget for the week my company(Investment Bank) rolls out the beer carts on friday afternoons after the market closes!
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Forum Member

You guys became vollies really for the "wacker" effect right- your probably scared of fire and blood- Hey at least you have your wacker lights
    NATRGBH83

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You really hate Vollies dont you

Quote Originally Posted by johnboycan
    You guys became vollies really for the "wacker" effect right- your probably scared of fire and blood- Hey at least you have your wacker lights
    JB,
    Your like the mother in law that would not leave! And yes when I was in my first structure fire I was scared, but the adrenaline kicked in and 2 minutes later all I was concerned with was making sure the hose did not get kinked on me. Blood doesn't bother me, unless its my own. Then I might be somewhat concerned>

As far as wachers go, my english counterparts have another term, JB your a wanker! Go back to stealing kids lunch money.
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Forum Member

Default johnnyisnt

I have my doubts as to whether he is a fireman at all.

Forum Member

Some towns only have volly departments cause that is all they can have. They don't have the money or call volume to have a staffed station. I know we don't and there are plenty others. Are you "that guy" every forum has.

On topic: leed lights makes a nice LED dash light.

Forum Member

Default I'm a vollie with no lights

Ok, the only light I have EVER and I mean considered purchasing for my POV is an amber roof light to be used for stationary purposes. The reason being is that I drive a black car and my response area contains numerous darkened areas. I have had complaints about my vehicle not being visible even when I have my hazards on and my vehicle parked. Johny...as far as I am concerened I became a volunteer because A) I care about others...you must not since you act like you are superior. B) I like to give back to my community and finally C) With or without lights and siren I am going to get to the emergency alive. So, if you have any other grievences with the volunteer fire service, which may I remind you is where the fire service began V-O-l-U-N-T-E-E-R! Than please stop bashing us vollies! We are all on the same team here!

Guys: Can we stop the bickering bout to use bars or not... thats not what this thread is for, theres another thread that we're arguing over that...

My dash is a Predator II LED - The grill houses Nova linears and the taillights use Whelen 60w strobes.
    Adam, EMT-B

Default Wow...was I mislead!!!

Here I thought I was opening a thread on the type of bar (as in alcohol serving) that your house had (as it seems to be prevalent in a number of volunteer houses to have a bar installed).

I had intended to post here stating that these don't belong in the station (yeah, I'm a vollie and no alcohol in the station)...then I see we are on the topic of lights on POVs again.

You guys really need to find something better to do with your time....this discussion of lightbars and lights is getting old...especially when there are other front page threads discussing this very thing...why do we need another?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    ...and partly because I think it just looks stupid.....
    AMEN!

(I couldn't post because: " 1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." How retarded. So now I should have my 10 characters.)

Forum Member

Talking Polish Bars

I never understood how come there is irish bars but not polish bars with men playing "role out the barrel" and "polish blood going through my veins" besides polish people are known for there beer.

Thread Information