Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What brand is your bar?

This was brought up in another thread and I thought that it would be a good topic. So what logo adorns your bar on your car? Federal, Galls? Let us know and tell us how it compares to other brands you have used. Do you purchase that brand specifically because of postitve results from their products in the past? Or do you buy your bars based on price?
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Cool

WHELEN LIGHTBARS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MINE. MY DASHLIGHT IS A WHELEN TOO.

HVFD2865

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer an Irish bar but sports bars aren't bad either.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Talking oh man ya beat me to it

Originally posted by WTFD10
    I prefer an Irish bar but sports bars aren't bad either.
    Our local watering hole is a biker/farmer/yokel/tourist bar

I have to agree with pfd3501, but as far as equipment I'm just partial to Whelen. I guess for the simple fact the Whelen name in emergency equipment it is very well respected and dependable. I also run some ShowMe grill lights, but siren and majority of lights are Whelen. However when it comes to LED or High Intensity LED's they are all high dollar. I'm curious to know how much on the average do volunteers spend on equipment for their personal vehicles. Radio, lights, and siren I have approx. $1500.00 invested. However my philosophy is you can never have too much and my PV coming down the road could be mistaken for a Rescue Truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pimpin' My Ride

I got a 1989 Ford Festiva, that thing is hooked up.

I got a 48 Inch Federal Aerodynic on top...with a stinger in the middle. Mounted on top of that, I got a 50,000,000CP searchlight with remote control. I got strobes in the headlights, marker lights, taillights, reverse lights and even got one in the upper brake light. I got wig-wags with comet flash and 13, count em', 13 LED slimlighters in my grill. I got LED's on the backs of my mirrors and double flash strobes on each visor. I got 4 double dash-miser strobes in the back of my hatchback and I got a Federal "Q" and a Powercall Siren. I got 3 Radios, one for County, One for State and one with a big ol' antenna that can sometimes pick up Railroad cars in Little Rock! (got me a tennis ball on the end'a that sumbit-h too!)Whoo wee...you ought to see the trunk, got 2 alternators and 6 batteries in there to power it all! I also got me a big, Mirror Vision "I FIGHT WHAT YOU FEAR" on my front window and a "Faar Hall Man" sticker on the back.

Did I mention that I might get my gear next week? Yeah, and by this time next year...I will be a Certified First Responder and Farm Equipment Rescue Technician. I might take me some of them fire courses in a few years, but for now, I am just happy riding observer. Jus's long's I can still respond down to the hall when the whistle blows and show off my Pimped Out Ride!

Sincerely,
    Jethro
    Kumquat VFD, Kumquat Arkansas

Default Re: Pimpin' My Ride

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    I got a 1989 Ford Festiva, that thing is hooked up.

I got a 48 Inch Federal Aerodynic on top...with a stinger in the middle. Mounted on top of that, I got a 50,000,000CP searchlight with remote control. I got strobes in the headlights, marker lights, taillights, reverse lights and even got one in the upper brake light. I got wig-wags with comet flash and 13, count em', 13 LED slimlighters in my grill. I got LED's on the backs of my mirrors and double flash strobes on each visor. I got 4 double dash-miser strobes in the back of my hatchback and I got a Federal "Q" and a Powercall Siren. I got 3 Radios, one for County, One for State and one with a big ol' antenna that can sometimes pick up Railroad cars in Little Rock! (got me a tennis ball on the end'a that sumbit-h too!)Whoo wee...you ought to see the trunk, got 2 alternators and 6 batteries in there to power it all! I also got me a big, Mirror Vision "I FIGHT WHAT YOU FEAR" on my front window and a "Faar Hall Man" sticker on the back.

Did I mention that I might get my gear next week? Yeah, and by this time next year...I will be a Certified First Responder and Farm Equipment Rescue Technician. I might take me some of them fire courses in a few years, but for now, I am just happy riding observer. Jus's long's I can still respond down to the hall when the whistle blows and show off my Pimped Out Ride!

Sincerely,
    Jethro
    Kumquat VFD, Kumquat Arkansas

Jethro,

Boy, youse triin to steel my ideer. I have a totally Pimp'd out 82 Yugo. Except I have 2 Whelen Liberty Bars on mine (Front and Back). And nothing looks sweeter than a Q in the middle of the hood on my Yugo. My car has more light on it than all our trucks combined.

Cletus,
    Chief Explorer
    Lower Podunk VFD, Podunk Arizona

CFR-AED, Red Cross Instructor, Swift Water Rescue Tech
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default My lIghtbar

the lightbar i put on my 1992 Chevy blazer is a Federal Signal Streethawk with the 5 rotator option, take downs, alley's, and 6 flashing lights (2 in front and 4 in back). Its blue for the rotators and the front flashers then red and amber for the rear and obviously white for the alleys and take downs.

Forum Member

no lightbar... would look kinda stupid on an 05 grand prix and i've got a sunroof i like way too much too ... but i do have a whelen talon red/white in the windshield, an able 2 red/amber/red led bar on the back deck, and 6 hidden whelen 90watt strobes (2 in front, and 4 on the back in the brakes and reverse lights) ... will eventually put my old federal pa300 in there, if i can figure out where to mount the siren without it being in the way of everything (probably wont happen though) and no radio just use a portable because there isn't really anywhere i can find to mount one... want to get one of those dials though for the strobes that lets you instantly select what lights are strobing and high/lower power etc.... i get mistaken for the popo here because our detectives use them, and considering i aprk in the police deck at nights ..... yea....
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

Isn't having a full size lightbar on your POV a bit of an overhaul guys? I've got a dashlight, and I don't think I would ever need anything else.
    Then again, I encounter maybe 4 cars on my way to the FH...
    Montgomery Township Vol. Co. #1
    Station 45, Belle Mead, NJ

Franklin District #2 Fire
    Station 35, Griggstown, NJ

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by BCVFD121
    I'm curious to know how much on the average do volunteers spend on equipment for their personal vehicles. Radio, lights, and siren I have approx. $1500.00 invested. .
    Ummm.....about $85.00 for a dashlight, about 10 years ago. That's it. $1,500 worth of equipment on your personal vehicle? Are you serious? Do you really need all that?

Face it, people are either going to get out of your way or they're not going to get out of your way. Unless the laws are very different where you live, lights only request the right of way. Usually when people see me coming with my little red light flashing, they'll move over. If they don't, then they wouldn't have moved for a Whelen 100 bazillion candlepower whatever, either.

I don't allow lightbars or sirens in POV's in my department, partly because previous chiefs never allowed it either and partly because I think it just looks stupid.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCVFD121
    I'm curious to know how much on the average do volunteers spend on equipment for their personal vehicles. Radio, lights, and siren I have approx. $1500.00 invested. However my philosophy is you can never have too much.
    Umm... I bought a real nice flashlight I keep in my trunk. So mark me up for $40.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Topless all the way!!

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

I do not even care what kind of light bar any of the apparatus has, let alone what kind of lights a wacker has...
    FTM - PTB

You guys should see my Pacer.....
    Giggity - Giggity!

This is the lamest topic I have ever heard of. What type of gratification do you receive discussing a lightbar?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I drive a Ford F-250 Crew Cab Diesel. A set of wig-wags and a dash light does just fine for me. I can find a lot better deals to spend $1500 on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unbelievable, Un-frickin-believable.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

It is one thing if you live in Ohio where you are considered an emergency vehicle and can have lights and a siren.

It is different if you live somewhere like Illinois where people do not have to pull over for you if they do not want to.

Why buy all that junk when you cannot legally pass someone, speed, not wait for traffic lights, etc.?

I live a little over a mile from the station and it is all in town. For the first couple of years I had a light. I finally came to my senses and realized it does not help.

Even when I had the light I did not always use it. This guy told me I had to use it to warn everyone that I was going to a call. Why? What am I going to do, drive 50 through my subdivision? NO. 30, 35 sometimes, but when everyone who lives around here drives 35...
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Where I live, one of the quickest ways to hang out your "I am a MORON" sign is to put a light bar on top of your POV! We have worked hard to overcome the MORON factor but there are still some holdouts. The only way to mitigate the factor is to issue brains with your turnouts.

Thread Information