Thread: psych exam

Forum Member

Default psych exam

I was wondering if there is really any way to prepare for a written psycholigical exam? Or is it just take it and answer the questions as honestly as possible

Forum Member

Default Yep!

You should be concerned because up to 40% of firefighter candidates fail the psych. That's right 40%!

You have been testing for three, five, or seven years to get a firefighter job, or you are testing for a promotional position in another department. You are finally in the hiring process. Youíve made it through the background check. Then, youíre conditionally offered the job pending the medical, which includes a psychological test. You take the test, no big deal right? Then the phone stops ringing. You are out of the process. You are told that you didnít meet the profile. What profile?

What do you mean I didnít meet the profile? Iíve got training, experience, education, every degree, certificate, merit badge, and a paramedic certification. Iíve been a volunteer, paid member of another department for 10 years, and lived and breathed this job. And, I donít meet the profile?

The Personnel Department wonít talk to you. They say it was the psychologist who passed judgment. The psychologist wonít talk to you. You canít see the results of the test. You are devastated!

The psychological test is changing the fire service. Sure there are some folks who have a lot of baggage and shouldnít be hired. But most of the red-hotís, the backbone of the fire service, canít make it through the process. Surprisingly, the evaluations are based on the performance of those already in the fire service.

More and more agencies are using the psychological test in their hiring process. Psychologists are competing for this lucrative business and agencies feel they need this service to hire the right candidates. In one large department forty-percent of candidates were eliminated from the hiring process through the psychological tests. Fire administrations feel theirs hands are tied and get frustrated when they see that a high percentage of their superior candidates who were eliminated by their psychological test are being hired by other agencies.

Trying to Psych the Psych Written

The written portion of the test is up to a 1000 questions. They may also use a personality test. The aim here is not to pass the test but to go into the job fully prepared. Put your pride and natural defensiveness aside. They ask a few questions in several different ways. You want to answer questions ďstrongly forĒ or ďstrongly againstĒ instead of being in the middle undecided. Answer questions to present yourself as a more social, interactive, team playing type of person, i.e., you would rather be in a conversation with others than reading a book alone.

Many candidates drive themselves crazy trying to psych the written. You canít. Just take the test as best as you can. Remember no one item means anything. Your answers are being compared to successful firefighters. The doctor can tell you how your personality make up can embrace or undermine your performance as a firefighter. The test is designed to alert the testers if you are trying to psych the test.

For more on the psych written check out www.fireprep.com

For more on the dreaded interview with the psychologist check out
    http://www.eatstress.com/psych.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks a lot captain bob....so basically answer the questions honestly , don't try to figure the question out to try and out smart the psychologist. And try to be open minded to all the questions. It seems pretty easy! I just ordered that one book off of Don McNea's site that you posted.....I only have 3 1/2 weeks till my pysch but that should be enough time to read up a little bit and take some practice questions to see how I'm doing...I think the test for the department I am applying to is a Minnesota Multi phasing personality test..

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 04-16-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Forum Member

Default Yes

Yes, the written that is most used is the MMPI.

For more on the dreaded interview with the psychologist check out
    http://www.eatstress.com/psych.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information