Default industrial firefighting

What size LDH do industrial firefighters use on their rigs. 5 or 6? I am looking for some logistical info. Feel free to respond to me personally also, info@rollnrack.com. Thanks.
    Last edited by rollnrack; 04-19-2004 at 10:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

5" is the norm that I have seen along the Houston Ship Channel but you have to remember that the apparatus they use have multiple intakes so they can move a lot of water. Shell has or had 10" LDH but I'm not sure if they still use it, they did have some problems with it holding together.

Forum Member

if you do some checking in the apparatus forum here it was discussed, there was a refinery I believe that was running 6 " hose.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

There is a large volunteer fire department north of Houston who carries all 6" supply hose. You don't want to be the last mutual aid company on scene to help pick up that heavy stuff.

Forum Member

We have 500' of 5" hose on a UPF foam trailer. I would like to have an engine, but management would not go for it. We are the largest coal fired power plant in the Southern Co. electric system (3500 MW).

MembersZone Subscriber

The power plant near here uses 5" but ridiculously high pressure, something like 145 psi.

Eric

Forum Member

Our plant uses 150 psi, We have 4 fire pumps each rated at 2500 gpm. They are set with pressure switches when pressure falls another pump comes on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, 5" @ 150 psi, you do the math. You could definitely kick some butt with that flow.

Eric

Forum Member

5" with 175psi hydrant head pressure here.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

you almost dont need an engine do ya ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Oldandwise,

Which Dept went to 6" up north? When I was up there (5 yrs ago) everyone had 5" in the area. Just wondering.
    chris

Forum Member

All the plants in Texas City have 5" most have Industrial Pumpers(2500 gpm plus) with multiple inlets. Chris

Forum Member

We're kinda industrial (About 120 buildings with 3 milion sq ft of area but, mostly vehicle garage workspace and office area), We use 4" at 150 psi (Don't ask me why 4") but we have 2 pumps at 2500 gpm set up with pressure switches too
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a FF/EMT at a large chemical manufacturing plant in Carrollton, KY. We use 5" hose on our 2 engines. The first out carries 2000 gal AFFF concentrate and 1000 gal water, with a 2000 gpm pump. Second is 500/500, 1000 gpm. We have 2 electric and 4 diesel fire pumps with 2.5 million gal. dedicated fire water (1 mil tank, 1 mil pond, .5 mil tank). Hydrant pressures are consistently around 170 psi. Ninety percent of our hydrants have monitor nozzles on them, along with two 2 1/2" and a 5" connection. It's a very impressive system.

You can view our apparatus at http://www.cincyfirerigs.net/dowcorning.htm
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    you almost dont need an engine do ya ?
    Almost...

We don't even have to set the pump when working off the hydrant, just hook up the LDH and gate down with the line valves.

We have had the occasional car fire in the parking lot where the 2001 E1 FL112 with a 500 gallon tank and 2500gpm pump would come in pretty handy. But we haven't had a car fire since we bought this engine. I think the cars are scared.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

In your industrial depts are the depts located close to a paid dept? Do the fire brigade members have other jobs? like operators, mechanics, electricians or are they full time firefighters? thanks

Forum Member

In our area most people are in the plant performing other jobs that you mentioned. They are notified by siren, radio, or whistle of the emergency. Also, they are mostly protected by POC departments that may have 1 FT person, but not always the case.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Originally posted by Flochief
    In your industrial depts are the depts located close to a paid dept? Do the fire brigade members have other jobs? like operators, mechanics, electricians or are they full time firefighters? thanks
    They have other jobs.

We used to have a contract paid staff during construction that handled industrial safety issues, rescues, EMS and fires outside of the physical plant.
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

In the county in which we're located, all the surrounding departments are 100% volunteer. Unfortunately, like many mostly rural, small, underfunded counties, our ability to rely on these depts. for a strong mutual aid turnout is hit and miss, at best.

We have 3 FF/EMT's on site on day shift (0600-1800) and 2 on nights. Our on site fire brigade is made up of volunteers within the plant whose primary jobs are within the production areas. All production techs, fire brigade or not, are trained to HazMat Tech level, as are the 10 firefighters. As FF's, we're also trained in confined space rescue, high and low angle rope rescue, and some water rescue as we're located on the Ohio River. We're responsible for maintaining and inspecting the site's over 1000 fire extinguishers and all of our sprinkler systems.

It's a good job that pays great money. The only problem is that there aren't alot of "bells and smells." But in this place, that is definately a good thing!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose

Up here in Prudhoe Bay Alaska we use 5inch lined with heat tracing tape so it wont freeze, works well just a pain to roll up and is a little heavier, and we have watch out for shock hazards.
    Burn
    Prudhoe Bay FD
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Forum Member

We have a 12 min response time for our local FD. As far as our brigade goes we are all pvt Security that are trained to FF/EMT level and we also reach out to the people with other jobs to support us. some are FF/EMT some just have Fire Brigade training. Most of them are great help whether it be for a hydrant man, or for traffic control or we have a local batallion chief for one of our surrounding FD's, and several other oficers for surrounding departments that we respect their advice greatly.

Our fire brigade

57 Security Officers (50 trained to FF/EMT or higher)
    18 "other" people (around 5 trained to FF/EMT or higher)
    3 million sq feet of buildings (approximately 120)
    125 miles of Road
    1 engine, 2 fixed diesel pumps and a minipumper just for fun. and thats just fire supression. we also have a BLS ambulance, a hazmat/ command truck and a confined space rescue truck.

It's just a whole lotta fun
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Forum Member

When you use security officers as "Fire Brigade" members if you need outside resources doesn't this cut into the security officer primary job function as a security officer? Another words they would have to revert back to security instead of fire brigade. just curious.

MembersZone Subscriber

Which Dept went to 6" up north? When I was up there (5 yrs ago) everyone had 5" in the area. Just wondering.
    Spring VFD. They run 6" on their heavy rescues and 5" on their quints.

There are a number of municipal departments running with 6" for the 'big ones'. Industrial departments commonly run every size up through 12"

6" LDH isn't that bad if you need the flow - ask the boys from RTFC out of Corpus Christi - they called it "user friendly" the last time I talked to them. That was shortly after they made the switch from 5" and 6" to 7 1/4".

Thread Information