+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Lights

Forum Member

Lightbulb Lights

Does your department run red or blue lights on personal vehicles? mine uses red, but iv read about people using blue...just curious.
    Last edited by Firefighter164; 04-30-2004 at 10:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Lights

We run red here in Mississippi. Only police can run blue.
    Hinds County Fire Service District 1
    Pocahontas Fire/Rescue

Cool

FIRE PERSONELL ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO RUN RED LIGHTS IN OHIO, THE POLICE CAN RUN A COMBO RED, AND BLUE

HVFD2865

Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Angry BLOOMIN ONIONS .......................

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKIN KIDDIN ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I wish it was a joke but sadly...It's not.....As if they don't already see the 6 or 7 other fourms on lights...

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Here in Louisiana only Law enforcement can run blue lights. Fire uses red, white, yellow or combo there of.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

It is my opinion that yes there are other threds about lights, but they all seem to be cluttered with the same crap your saying. Maybe if half of you wouldent reply unless u acutualy had something usefull to say that those threds would be able to be utilized. by the way this is for people like
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKIN KIDDIN ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish it was a joke but sadly...It's not.....As if they don't already see the 6 or 7 other fourms on lights...
    Last edited by Firefighter164; 04-30-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Default Lights

Here in Missouri, volunteers run Blue on their POV's. Red is reserved for vehicles that are owned by the departments whether it be fire, police, or e.m.s.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter164
    It is my opinion that yes there are other threds about lights, but they all seem to be cluttered with the same crap your saying. Maybe if half of you wouldent reply unless u acutualy had something usefull to say that those threds would be able to be utilized. by the way this is for people like
    Or if people would just actually read the other threads, they would see that this same EXACT questions has been answered numerous times. If you want more answers from people, you would get them from reading the other threads because most people have already posted answers in them, and will not do it again because it is asked so many times on here........

Its quite simple...We post because seeing the same topic being started day in and day out gets annoying...QUITE ANNOYING...If all you want to post about is whos got the nicest lights or whatever...Ask webteam to start your own little light groupie fourm and go post there...Its been said many times over theres plenty of other topics within the volunteer fire service that we can talk about...Lights in the long run are a very very miniscule part of what we are about..Infact it should be practically non-existent..Too me the only person in a VFD that needs a light in a POV is a Chief Officer...I've said it again and again you can have all the lights you want but what good are you sittin scene with your lit up car or truck or whatever you drive, without water at a raging house fire..I'd rather talk about things that are actually worth posting about and are important to the fire service..Something that might aid others or give people hints or tips..Not bloody whos got what for lights and how they power them..If lights are really this important to you all, You might wanna rethink what your really in this for...

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Default Important

Well for some of use lights are important. How can we get the truck with the water as you say if we do not have lights on out POV's to get the vehicles moved out of our way to get the whereever the truck is. Also on a medical call we don't need to water but just someone with the expertise to administer care or even CPR. Lights cut down on response time and when lives are on the line minutes mean alot. You tell the person that was just saved because someone was able to get to a call a minute faster with their light than without and that minute saved their life that lights are not an important part of the fire service.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I love talking about lights.. I wish every forum had pov lighs and light bars and super duper sirens everyone has..............

You really think you need lights to get to the station quicker to get the trucks...What a joke...Come here....Our average response time is 7 minutes from time the first page starts till we're on scene..Nobody except the chiefs have lights and they rarely ever use their lights...And the same with medicals..Our response time is even faster on medical calls...I'm sure if you responded without your lights to the station or a scene you could get there just as fast as if you responded with..I could probably accomplish as much with my 4-ways and people seeing my volunteer firefighter plates as you can with your lights...I go to almost every call with 4-ways on and people pull over for me all the time...Unless its 3 am where i just drop the 4-ways and go..

On a house fire..Well like i said its gonna be a house fire whether your there with your truck that looks like something out of the Twilight Zone....Maybe the odd medical you might be able to make a difference, but i know on the medicals i see and we get a lot of them, the patient would be in the same condition as if all our members went in POV...we usually have one member at the most that goes in his car..

But you keep on thinkin all these lights are such an important part of a call and keep on doin what you do

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

you need to get a 60 inch LED/Strobe light bar (either red or blue, depending on the state). some states use red for PD, others use blue. After you get the lightbar installed, you will need to put either blue or clear strobes in your headlights, and you can't forget about the strobes/LEDs in the grill. got to have those. after you do that, then it's time to work on the back. clear strobes get put in your brake lights, and you can also put clears in the reverse lights as well. you also need to make sure you get a huge strobe pack, to power all those strobes. you might even want to invest in a second battery, to power all the lights. and dual dashmisers on your deck will ensure your visibility. you should also put 2 red halogen lights inside your trunk, so if you stop on the road, and your truck in open (which is where you store all your EMS equipment and your spare set of turn out gear), you will still have flashing lights to your rear.

now, since most states do not permit you to have a siren, you should install an air horn. and you need to get the biggest speaker, so everyone knows you are going down the road.

the last thing you are going to need is me. I'll be the one laughing my *** off when you get pulled over for speeding as you blow by a cop and he writes you a ticket for speeding.

btw, I'm not against having lights on POVs (I do have one on my dash), but after a while, it does get absurd as to how often it is mentioned.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by ndvfdjrff
    I could probably accomplish as much with my 4-ways and people seeing my volunteer firefighter plates as you can with your lights...I go to almost every call with 4-ways on and people pull over for me all the time...Unless its 3 am where i just drop the 4-ways and go..
    ok, i don't know what the laws are in Canada, but in the US, it is illegal in most states to drive with your 4-ways (aka hazards). The only exception is when you are driving at a rate slower then traffic is moving. Then it's used as a warning. But "responding" to a call with your hazards on is foolish, dangerous, and confuses the hell out of other drivers.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by ndvfdjrff
    You really think you need lights to get to the station quicker to get the trucks...What a joke...Come here....Our average response time is 7 minutes from time the first page starts till we're on scene..Nobody except the chiefs have lights and they rarely ever use their lights...And the same with medicals..Our response time is even faster on medical calls...I'm sure if you responded without your lights to the station or a scene you could get there just as fast as if you responded with..I could probably accomplish as much with my 4-ways and people seeing my volunteer firefighter plates as you can with your lights...I go to almost every call with 4-ways on and people pull over for me all the time...Unless its 3 am where i just drop the 4-ways and go..

On a house fire..Well like i said its gonna be a house fire whether your there with your truck that looks like something out of the Twilight Zone....Maybe the odd medical you might be able to make a difference, but i know on the medicals i see and we get a lot of them, the patient would be in the same condition as if all our members went in POV...we usually have one member at the most that goes in his car..

But you keep on thinkin all these lights are such an important part of a call and keep on doin what you do
    So you are telling us you respond to calls on with 4-ways on??? That is illegal in most states. Then you are telling me that people actually pull over for you? That is extremely rare because if I drove through a town and some car pulled up behind me with 4-ways on I would not pull over and if he passed me with a solid yellow line, I would report him. There is no way I would see your license plate if you were behind me to see if it was a fire dept. one. No one can tell unless if they know who you are.

Second of all, without lights, you cant pass people, you have to wait for all cars to go through 4-way stops so if you are three cars back on a 4-way stop, it will take a minute there alone. At red lights you got to stop and wait enspecially at all those lights that you will sit at and wait 3 minutes at if no one is going though. Then if you get some slow grandma on the road going 10 MPH under the speed limit, you cant pass her unless you have warning lights.

If you really believe that responding to the station or to a scene without emergency lights is just as fast, you are crazy. Without emergency lights, you have to wait at all stop signs for every single person to go, you have to wait at the dumb red lights at 3 AM since you dont have emergency lights, you cant pass people going 10 MPH slower than the speed limit, parking you car at a MVA is unsafe if you dont have lights.

To me, it sounds like you can cut at least 2 minutes off your response time if you have lights and that is still driving under the law. No speeding, no reckless driving, no nonsense. Did you forget about the golden hour? In our rural areas every minute DOES MAKE A DIFFERNCE. If you dont know that, then you need get retrained or trained. The hospital isnt 1 minute down the road in rural areas like an urban area. Every minute does count. You must reach the patient ASAP and start giving care then get them to the hospital ASAP if it is life threatening. In our rural areas, it may take 30 minutes just to get to the hospital from the scence and that drastically reduces the patient's GOLDEN HOUR.

Dont forget we are the ones that drive the trucks to the scence so we need to respond to the station first and thats why we need the lights on POV's. I just dont see how you can get a call, respond to the station with NO LIGHTS, and then get the trucks and respond to the scene in a RURAL area in 7 minutes. There is no way that is possible in a rural area.

IF YOU DONT THINK WARNING LIGHTS HELP RESPONSE TIMES.....THEN WHY DO FIRE TRUCKS, AMBULANCES, AND POLICE CARS USE THEM?

LEDlightbar

Ok..another thing different from the States then...Here we have visibly different license plates for VFF's than regular license plates..So thats how they see...And the way they see..Is that little thing in your car called a rear view mirror...And our people must have more respect for us if they pull over for us comin with 4-ways..Which here is also against the law..But the law overlooks it..Trust me...I've drivin by numerous cops while going to the hall and they don't pull me over..They wave and keep goin..

To your without lights you can't pass people..Do you pass people on the highway driving normally?? Why can't you responding to a fire..If i see the road is open ahead for a ways...Or safe enough distance to pass..I'm gonna pass em...Also where i'm from no traffic lights...but thats beside the fact...Once again..Grandma goin 10 mph or in my case km/h...I'd pass her if it was safe..otherwise i'd wait behind her until it was or i reached the station

You don't beleive me about the 7 minutes..This is average response time...Some calls yes may take a little longer to get too but the majority...By all means...Come up and visit..And i'll gladly show you...We got about 10 or more members who live within or under 1 minute of the firehall....Hell 2 of them can run there in 15 seconds or less..Now if you can honestly say you don't speed goin to a call you full of it...You can do just as much good responding to the station..getting on the rescue..and going code 3 to a scene..The time it takes you to drive to the scene....stop at all these stop lights and get there..get inside and start you could just as easily go to the station...jump on the truck and go...

Med calls..Yes the golden hour is very important...But as i said..On the medicals i've seen..The patient will be in the same condition even if you and your other members take that extra minute to go to the station..grab the rescue and go...I have yet to see a call where the person has said well she got 10 times worse since i've phoned 911...As sad as it is sometimes your not gonna be able to do anything as it is...

Plus havin 15 vehicles on the scene would make for one giant cluster f**k...

The reason the trucks have lights is because they have the water or the essential medical gear....Yes you may have a bag in your truck..But do you have AED or Drug Bag if you can carry drugs..Thats why they have lights to get you and the gear to the scene quickly

Also...Yeah sure drivers need to get there quickly...But if you got all these people with lights who decide to go to the scene...Drivers aren't worth anything without a crew...

As for this:"If you really believe that responding to the station or to a scene without emergency lights is just as fast, you are crazy."...Yeah i guess i must be crazy..But I get there quick and efficiently..As does the rest of my dept and we go...Do our thing and do a damn good job of it...

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Wink

LOL !!!

my department in california discourages volunteer response in pov's. also to the best of my knowledge the only vehicles that are allowed to have the flashing lights and stuff are the ACTUAL fire department vehicles, Police and Ambulances in california. my point being: we have rural communities, too, and our vollies get to the scene in time to get the "field save". has anyone read the reports of all the volunteers responding to the scene of MVA's in their pov's either getting run over by passing vehicles on scene or causing accidents en route? my experience is that flashing lights on the big red engines confuse people enough without adding honda's and lifted pickups into the mix.

also anyone who says they don't speed when they flip on the ricky rescue lights is full of it. if you don't speed then what do you need lights for? you shouldn't be exceeding the flow of traffic and going through red signal lights is hazardous enough while making all sorts of noise with sirens and air horns let alone with just a few strobes and nothing else. but hey if you think putting more code 3 vehicles on the road for what most of the time is a stubbed toe and endangering everyone because you think 1 more minute will save that person go ahead i'm just glad that you're not working near me.

Thank god..Another person with the same views on things as i have....

California sounds like NS....Except only people allowed with lights in POV's are Chief,1st and 2nd Deputy...And if your pulled over and the cop sees a light on your dash..You best be able to prove your a chief or the hammer comes down..

As for the rescue ricky lights and speedin with em...I see it enough..If my chief leaves his vehicle at the hall often times its taken to the scene by other FF's...And they go all crazy while drivin with his lights and sirens...

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

It is a courtesy light, and trust me it does lower my response time, because when/if people see the light they pull over, and when u have an open road ahead of you it lowers your response time. Granted people dont have to pull over, but most of the time they do. I don't run any red lights or stop signs because iv got the light. I still must obey all traffic laws. But when you do have that granny in front of you doing 10 MPH it helps when she pulls over. And also its not just responding to the calls that its needed but when your at a scene it clearly marks your vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Lights

Originally posted by Firefighter164
    Does your department run red or blue lights on personal vehicles? mine uses red, but iv read about people using blue...just curious.
    Gee a new topic!

My department doesn't use red or blue lights, it would make everything too dim in the engine house. We use plain old white flourecent lights.

FTM-PTB-DTRT

Default Speed

To answer the question about speeding, I do exceed the posted speed limit when responding with my blue dash light, and that is exactly why I have it. Here with it you can legally exceed the posted limit by ten miles per hour. With out it you would be breaking the law to exceed the speed limit.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Why dont all you whackers have a pov light party and hump each others legs... Theres like 36 forums on here about lights. Why dont we talk about real issues that might affect us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information