Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up It's all good...

April 18, 2004 -- A Bronx firefighter, expecting the birth of his second child at any moment yesterday saved the life of a salvage worker who had passed out inside a giant vat of toxic sludge.
    Firefighter Dan Foley was calm and collected when he plucked the unconscious salvage worker, who is in his 20s, from the 10-foot-deep ground-level vat. "You saved a life and you have one coming into the world all in one day," his boss, Lt. Kevin Williams, said back at the firehouse. Workers at the Drake Street auto salvage yard in Hunts Point called 911 around 8:30 a.m. after an employee passed out trying to clear a drain in the 10,000 gallon, 15-foot-wide tank. Rigged with a nylon rope, Foley was lowered into the tank that contained an explosively toxic cocktail of gasoline, transmission fluid and oil. But the manhole was so narrow he had to take off his life-saving air pack in order to squeeze through as his Rescue 3 colleagues lowered his air tank on a pole behind him. Foley then placed a nylon safety harness on the unconscious man and lifted him out of the pool of slime. The worker, who was not immediately identified, was barely breathing when he was rushed to Lincoln Hospital. He was listed in stable condition.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-09-2004 at 07:32 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Well Done!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

now that is kick @$$ !!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Awesome.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Great job!! and Congratulations
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Good job!
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Congrats

Wow Congratulations~

Its funny, I just read that in the paper and wondered if that was anyone I would recognize from the forums... Nice job! Hope the rest of the day went smoothly for your family!

Well done, brothers!

Thumbs up BRAVEST SAVE TWO TOTS FROM BRONX BLAZE

April 20, 2004 -- A pair of 1-year-old Bronx cousins were saved by firefighters from a blaze that roared through their home last night.
    The tots, Tanisha Narvaez and Jeremy Delgado, were raced to Lincoln Hospital after firefighters grabbed them from their beds. Firefighter Chris Sweeney braved fierce smoke and flames to rescue little Jeremy from a back bedroom in the apartment at 417 East 146th St. in Mott Haven. "It was very smoky, no visibility, I had to feel my way around," said Sweeney, the father of a 7-month-old girl.
    Claribel Mercado, Jeremy's godmother, was standing outside with Yolanda Narvaez, Jeremy's mom, when they smelled smoke. Yolanda went upstairs to check and suddenly Mercado heard a boom coming from one of the bedrooms. Then the distraught mom hollered from a window, "My baby's inside!" Mercado said Jeremy had to be resuscitated at the scene.
    "They [the firefighters] put him on the ground, they gave him mouth-to-mouth - he was all black," she said. Mercado said Tanisha, who also was carried to safety by a firefighter, was recovering after being given oxygen, but the more seriously injured Jeremy was being readied for transfer to Jacobi Hospital for treatment in the hyperbaric chamber. Yolanda said her son was unconscious but stable - and expected to survive. "I felt like I wanted to die," she said of her anguish. The fire was contained to a hallway and several bedrooms in the family's third-floor apartment.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

April 21, 2004 -- A pair of Brooklyn firefighters brought a choking 2-year-old boy back from the brink of death, clearing his throat as he choked on popular candy that's been linked to previous tragedies.
    Carlos Serrano was with his parents in Crown Heights on Monday night when a half-inch-thick "gummy burger" got lodged in his esophagus.The boy's father, Carlos Jesus Serrano, grabbed him and ran to Engine Co. 280 a few doors down. James Turchiano, 26, performed CPR on the boy with assistance from Joseph Montaperto, 42, and cleared his throat.The boy was then fine, Turchiano said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

April 21, 2004 -- Two Manhattan firefighters saved a battered wife - naked and screaming for help on her fire escape as her husband hovered over her - during a brazen midday attack yesterday, authorities said.John Vanderstar and Chris Fischer, of Ladder 9 in Chinatown, rushed to the rescue after a passerby ran into the firehouse to report what appeared to be a rape. The two climbed the fire escape and ordered the man to "back off." The pair helped the bruised woman - whose name is being withheld by The Post - into another apartment. Cops arrived soon after and arrested the husband for sexual abuse.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

It is a damn shame that we hear about all of the bad stuff instead of this stuff. Bring it on Lt... I love it!!!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Thumbs up Quick work keeps gas tank from exploding

FDNY contains damage to Mariners Harbor metal shop after acetylene cylinder catches fire
    Firefighters managed to avert an explosion yesterday inside a Mariners Harbor metal shop after gas from an acetylene cylinder ignited.No one was hurt and damage to the industrial structure was limited.
    Compressed gas from a 4-foot-high portable tank ignited before 3 p.m. in a steel hangar toward the rear of Grandview Structural Steel Corp., located at 243 Grandview Ave.One worker said he was in the shop, when all of a sudden the tank went, "Poof, just like that," he said, throwing up his hands.Describing acetylene, a volatile gas used in welding, FDNY Battalion Chief John Calderone of the 22nd Battalion said, "The fusible links, which are the safety valves, let go and the tank ignited." The flame was allowed to burn itself out.
    The situation was highly dangerous because the flare-up was "exposing other compressed gas tanks, a natural gas line -- and electric wires," which did catch fire, Calderone said.Firefighters extinguished the sparking wires.The firefighters were seen dousing the concrete floor of the hangar with water, while also concentrating spray onto the tank, as well as the ceiling and other equipment.
    The real danger was the possibility of acetylene vapors igniting and causing an explosion that might have turned steel beams, window casings and remnants of metal stairway railings into fragmented projectiles, Calderone said.But damage was limited for the most part to contortion in a portion of the steel wall next to the tank.The shop was current with all of its permits for the use of combustible gas on the premises, according to Calderone.

He said the fire was not suspicious.
    Calderone indicated the fire apparently was caused by defective equipment on the tank, which was vendor-supplied and not the property of the shop.Acetylene has a wide flammable range and the friction of the leak leaving a broken safety valve could have ignited it, he said.Shop owner Mario DiBiase said the manufacturer would retrieve the tank, which was to be temporarily placed in an empty area in the shop's yard.Workers at the shop were finally allowed to return to the hangar at about 4:18 p.m."Everyone's OK," said DiBiase.
    Responding units included Rescue Co. 5, the Hazmat Team, Engine Cos. 157 and 158, Ladder Cos. 79, 80 and 86, Battalion 22 and Division 8.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

May 4, 2004 -- A fearless firefighter crawled through a burning Queens house to rescue a frail 90-year-old man who'd fallen out of his wheelchair and was minutes from death.
    Thick black smoke was pouring out of the two-story Colonial at 148-11 35th Ave. in Flushing when Ladder 129 arrived at 10 a.m. - and veteran smoke-eater Jim Walther raced into action, smashing down the back door. "You couldn't see your hand in front of your face the smoke was so thick," Walther, 37, told The Post. "I began crawling on the floor of the kitchen, feeling in front of me, and I felt a wheelchair and realized someone was in there - somewhere. "The heat was intense. I went in another 10 feet and found a body lying face-down. "I pulled him out and down the stairs and saw that he had burns on his face and his breathing was labored, so I took my mask off and increased the oxygen flow and put it over him." Suddenly, the elderly victim, Dominick Scaperotta, "began choking and went into cardiac arrest - so we began CPR," said Ladder 129 Capt. Pat Lyons, who was assisted by firefighters Louis Capozzi, Fred Hess and Fred Bischoff. Meanwhile, firefighter Rob Chiolo and a team from Engine 273 extinguished the intense blaze, which gutted the living room and caused heavy smoke damage. Scaperotta, who lives alone, was rushed to New York Hospital of Queens and later transferred to Jacobi Hospital in The Bronx, where he received hyperbaric oxygen therapy. He was listed in critical but stable condition last night. Investigators believe the inferno was sparked when an electrical cord under a rug became overheated. Lyons called the lightning-fast work by Walther, who's a 5 1/2-year FDNY vet, "an excellent rescue. "He went into a totally unprotected area without a hose line and with zero visibility. And the victim couldn't have survived in that smoke and heat for much longer." But Walther - the father of a 3-year-old girl who's expecting his second daughter this July with wife Jennifer - insisted it's all in a day's work. "This is what I'm trained to do, but it's a little humbling," he said. "I felt like did something that was one of the reasons I took this job - that maybe I could help somebody." The victim's grandson came to the scene minutes after his grandfather was whisked off by ambulance and emotionally thanked Walther and his fellow heroes for their life-saving actions.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

May 4, 2004 -- Two Manhattan firefighters battled strong winds and driving rains - along with a victim who didn't want to be saved - in a dramatic rescue in the Hudson River last night.
    Firefighters Joseph Stark and Jim Donovan, who are assigned to a fireboat, were in their station at West 12th Street and the river when they heard a commotion outside. They ran out and saw a man floundering in the water. They dived into the choppy waters and swam to the victim. "They were having a tough time," said Lt. James Ahern. "The man did not want to come out. He was struggling, fighting and combative." At one point, the 39- year-old man broke away from them and went under. "They had to go back under and get him," said Ahern. After a desperate 15 minute struggle, they finally forced the man into the 27-foot Boston whaler their colleagues had positioned to pick them up. "They risked their life without a doubt," said Ahern. "They did a great job. . . They were well prepared." Ahern said the man, identified later as Ricardo Gonzalez, either jumped or fell. It was not clear if he fought his rescuers because he wanted to commit suicide or if he just panicked. The firefighters, who suffered from hypothermia, were treated at St. Vincent's Hospital. Gonzalez was taken to Bellevue.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

May 24, 2004 -- Firefighters pulled off a pair of daring rescues yesterday, racing into two separate blazes to save a handicapped man and a 78-year-old woman. Flames were blowing out the front windows of a cluttered, garbage-strewn Queens home around 9:40 a.m. when the Bravest from Ladder 133 and Engine 314 arrived.
    "There was heavy, heavy smoke everywhere," said Lt. James Bert, a 19-year veteran. "People on the front lawn [were] screaming that there was an invalid trapped inside." Security bars blocked every window, but firefighters battled their way into the two-story home at Murdock Ave. and 175 Place in St. Albans. "We were crawling on the floor, looking for the victim," said Firefighter Eugene Nickola. They found Leonard Washington, who uses a wheelchair, on the floor at the back of the house. He was barely breathing. "I took my mask off, gave it to him and we carried him out," Nickola said "There was fire everywhere." Washington was rushed to Mary Immaculate Hospital, where he was being treated for third-degree burns. His wife, Arbru, was also at home, but was not injured in the two-alarm blaze, relatives said.

Three hours earlier, Brooklyn firefighters carried an unconscious elderly woman out a fourth-floor window of a burning building in Sheepshead Bay. Firefighter Dan Gerrity of Ladder 169 quickly maneuvered his rig behind the Batchelder Ave. building. As smoke poured from the back of the eight-story building, firefighter John Kroczynski climbed the rig's ladder, stepped through a window and found the woman lying on a bed. "I called for help and told Gerrity to meet me at the top of the ladder," Kroczynski said. "I passed her out headfirst. He grabbed her shoulders and I grabbed her legs." The firefighters placed the woman - the mother of a city cop - into the bucket of another tower ladder and lowered her to the ground. She was taken to Coney Island Hospital, where she was being treated for burns and smoke inhalation.

The causes of both blazes were under investigation.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 05-24-2004 at 07:33 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

not that I want to take anything away from the rescue but a couple things that were said by the firefighter quoted don't make sense:

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    May 4, 2004

"I pulled him out and down the stairs and saw that he had burns on his face and his breathing was labored, so I took my mask off and increased the oxygen flow and put it over him." Suddenly, the elderly victim, Dominick Scaperotta, "began choking and went into cardiac arrest - so we began CPR," said Ladder 129 Capt. Pat Lyons, who was assisted by firefighters Louis Capozzi, Fred Hess and Fred Bischoff.
    last I checked, we had compressed air on our backs not oxygen. also, why would he put his mask on the patient, instead of calling for EMS to treat him with 100% oxygen on a non-rebreather? also, the victum started choking...on what? all the air he was getting? now if he stopped breathing, that I could understand, but for the company captain to say he was choking?

either both the firefighters were misquoted (which is a possibility), or they need to refresh about the basics
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by DrParasite
    not that I want to take anything away from the rescue but a couple things that were said by the firefighter quoted don't make sense:

last I checked, we had compressed air on our backs not oxygen. also, why would he put his mask on the patient, instead of calling for EMS to treat him with 100% oxygen on a non-rebreather? also, the victum started choking...on what? all the air he was getting? now if he stopped breathing, that I could understand, but for the company captain to say he was choking?

either both the firefighters were misquoted (which is a possibility), or they need to refresh about the basics

NEWSPAPER QUOTES....It sells newspapers...
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40