Permanently Removed

Default Rural/Metro's future?

The company is over 50 years old, but pulling out of a city
    in Arizona. What else is in their future?

the 4-1-4

Bankruptcy? ....... hopefully....

MembersZone Subscriber

Flush the scabs!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Parond my ignorance, but...

WTF are you talking about?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Rural Metro is a non-union for profit supplier of emergency workers.

http://www.ruralmetro.com/

Forum Member

Hopefully short and not so sweet
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Answer:"Gee we sure will miss Rural Metro in this town"

Question: What phrase will never be udderd........ever.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

I've never heard much good or bad about Rural/Metro. Saw them on quite a few episodes of Paramedics on Discovery Health chanel. But all I've ever know since I was a child is Acadian Ambulance. Acadian is first rate. My department has a close working relationship with them. At one time, 4 of my Chiefs' daughters worked for Acadian Ambulance. We invite them to many of our events and at last nights Installation of Officers Dinner it was an Acadian Ambulance supervisor who swore in our Officers. It's Acadian who teaches our First Responder medical and CPR/AED classes.
    If Rural/Metro ever hopes to move into this area they will have a fight to meet the standards Acadian Ambulance has in place.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

R/M's New Jersey Central Office is located in my town, I dont think they are staying to much longer rumor has it. I worked for them for about 2 months...Money was good but lets put it this way...I dont like driving a mobile death trap. I got hired during the Union Battle and quit before the voting day. From what I hear the union got shot down...which I feel sorry for the workers ....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm completely in the dark with this whole Rural Metro deal, can anyone give me a backround as to what is wrong with them and if there is actually anything good (although I'm guessing not).

Thanks

Forum Member

I know they're not in the same league as R/M but It seems AMR is dying in MI. They lost Monroe county earlier this year, closed their Western Wayne County office a couple of years ago, and have a shriveling presence in Genesee county.

Hmmm... The death of gigantic national ambulance companies? One can only hope.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down There ought to be a Law...................

A Law Against private for-profit business being involved in any form of public safety. Period. Forever.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I think I'd have to agree with collegebuff on that one. I dislike the gigantic machines that the national companies have become. Seriously like in MI. AMR consolidated dispatch for the detroit metro area (Not sure maybe the state) to one location. So we have dispatchers who have never even come close to the area trying to dispatch to that area. Granted I'm sure they have the state of the art mappingings system. That doesn't beat experience. Or if a client has a complaint the end of the line is a reigonal supervisor?!?! and he doesn't have the power to do jack diddly squat. All of their coverage is by some formula. That is why they lost Monroe county to a tiny company. The owner had the lattitude to do what he needed. The Monroe county govt. had 3 demands out of the companies that were bidding. 3 of them were larger companies. The only one to meet them and not try and tell the govt. what they wanted to do was a tiny company. The owner came to all the meetings and said OK you want it you got it.

Granted he is still a for profit company but he is also part of the community. That's the way it should be.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

CB, you may be surprised but I believe that there is a law in this state that prohibits private ambulances from responding to 911 calls. I don't mean the Bristol Ambulance but ones like yours, Universal and AMR. It stemmed from AMR guys listening to scanners in their trucks and trying to beat the FD into those calls and scoop the patient.

Forum Member

To my way of thinking it is not the size of the company that is wrong, it is the morality. There is something wrong with trying to make a profit from people's misery. I realize an argument can be made that for profit firefighting is no different then buying insurance, but it seems to me to immoral.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Early Adopter

Default Re: There ought to be a Law...................

Originally posted by hwoods
    A Law Against private for-profit business being involved in any form of public safety. Period. Forever.
    I strongly disagree.

The last time I checked, only one community in my entire state maintained it's own ALS ambulance service (not counting the few with FD-based ambulances). The remainder of the cities and towns either contract with an outside company or offer BLS service. Ban for-profit ambulance services and many communities would be left without access to advanced life support.

Forum Member

Default Rural Metro leaving Rochester, NY??

I just got out of a class at the Fire Academy and an individual from the Rochester area said it's starting to look like they are getting ready to pull out. He said as of last week they were down to 2 managers from 8 last year. He also refered to a couple other signs that I shouldn't go into here. I'm not sure what'll happen on the other side of the situation, but I'll keep an ear out for Syracuse, Auburn and Buffalo developments.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Forum Member

Private for profit emergency service providers, are best utilised providing emergency response to industrial corporations, power stations, airports, military bases etc. This is the situation in Australia where companies such as Transfield, Serco, BAE, Tenix, Flashpoint and Deanmac have filled a niche in the market. In the Industrial area in particular, fire, rescue and medical services are usually provided in conjunction with OSH programs and management. Sometimes site security is also handled by the contractor.
    Last edited by pumper41; 04-20-2004 at 10:29 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the original idea behind the for-profit emergency providers was sound in theory: that a private company could provide service more efficiently than a government bureaucracy with all its political webs. A part of the savings was kept as profit and the rest "returned" to the taxpayer.

Problem is, it only works in theory.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

The company is over 50 years old, but pulling out of a city in Arizona. What else is in their future?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The sad part of the whole deal is the line grunt firefighters or EMS personnel that suffer when Rural Metro or who ever pulls out of the contracts. They are left hoping to get on with the new municipal department, but generally they are left with no guarantees of anything. The fact that they are firefighters or EMS for a private company does not diminish their worth in the grand scheme of things.

And no I am not a firefighter for a private company.

smoke20286...

Morality? Profitting from peoples misery? Happens everyday in this country. Hospitals, doctors, pharmacies, tow truck drivers, insurance companies, lawyers...and so on and so on...I think your argument in that regard is flawed. If the private fire department offers quality service and the contracts are continually renewed the owner of the company deserves to make a profit just as any business owner does.

FyredUp

Thread Information