Unhappy Who Has Command ?

IM A LT OF A FIRE COMPANY AND THE OTHER DAY I HAD A PROBLEM ON A SCENE WHERE WE WHERE IN THE MIDDLE OF EXTRICATION AND ONE OF THE POLICE MEN ON LOCATION DECIDED TO TAKE COMMAND . LATER TO FINDOUT HE IS INCHARGE OF THE FULLTIME EMTS IN OUR TOWN. HOWEVER WE HAD NO IDEA OF THIS. WE ARE A VOL FIRE COMPANY.
    WHO HAS COMMAND OF A MVA? FIRE OR EMS DOES TITLE 40 HAVE ANYTHING TO DOD WITH THIS ?

Thats retarded...Here....It wouldn't matter if he's the Prime Minister...If he's working as a cop he's in charge of cop matters..Your on the responding FD therefore if your senior officer your in charge...not him....But hey your lucky you get police response...our cops come if theres a drunk involved or someone dies...Otherwise it takes them 30 minutes or longer to get there
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

The 1st FIRE OFFICER on the scene assumes command, until a higher ranking officer arrives, but keep in mind that you only change command once, this way the interior teams and other units on the scene don't get confused on who the IC is. I the interior officers or acting officers have enough to worry about other then how many times the IC changes over. As for the local PD taking over, I don't think so. They can have the scene when fire or ems operations are completed. Atleast this is what we do in my department.

Forum Member

this may help some. Also check your State laws, it is usually clearly defined in there. If not, will need big POW WOW with police and fire chief's.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=57566
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default ????

The PD is in charge of the accident. Fire is in charge of the patients. Interesting the PD has control over the EMT's Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Well If it's an MVA and Fire & EMS are seperate it falls into a whole other mess and the way I always look at it is the cop has the gun so he can take charge :-D j/k but seriously under a split responsbility type situation it becomes almost a joint command with Fire doing Extrication and EMS handling anything and everything to do with the patient.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

In South Carolina the highest ranking fire official has control of the scene (i.e. Extrication and all related activities) EMS has control of patient care while PD directs traffic. We work closely with EMS to cut the car from around the patient... many times with the Medic inside dealing with the victim.

It depends on what state you are in. I know how it is here.

Fact is you are there for one reason and one reason only... to extricate the patient and get them to the hospital before they expire. Train with the local agencies and get to know them. You are only hurting yourselves when you bicker.

Sounds like this dude has a conflict of interest going on.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Per the Ohio Revised Code, the Fire Chief or his designee shall be incharge of the incident, until they turn it over to someone else.....

Forum Member

sounds like a tough situation. The originating IC has to relinquish command to the new IC so if you don't give up command then he don't have it. And not to sound petty or anything but we own the tools so sounds like our scene.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Who Has Command ?

Originally posted by drew12

WHO HAS COMMAND OF A MVA? FIRE OR EMS...
    Rather than hashing this out on the Firehouse Forums, your department's leadership should schedule a meeting with the PD and EMS officers to establish the chain of command. Your own state's laws dictate who is in charge. Each state may have different laws that pertain to your question....so the responses in this thread may, or may not apply to your situation. Sit down with all of your local emergency services now...and avoid confusion and arguments in the future.

Good luck...be safe!
    NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post We Can't Help...................

Again, for the 345,786,987,453,008.5th time, someone has posed a question without providing the crucial bit of information. So, I'll ask.......WHERE ARE YOU? There are fifty states, and fifty sets of laws, procedures, etc. So, knowing where you are is a vital bit of info when it comes to answering your question. I will tell you that in Maryland, even God does not take command from the FD. Period. Cops go direct traffic, FD handles everything else. Well, almost everything else, we don't write ticketrs.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

hwoods I think you need to switch to decaf, man. Don't worry be happy.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Harve:
    YOU'RE IN MARYLAND!
    Here's the deal, folks. It doesn't matter what state you're in. The cops are in charge of roadways. Period. If there is a wreck on the roadway, the cop is in charge of getting the roadway opened. Period.
    They have NOTHING to do with vehicle extrication or patient care.
    If you have a good relationship with your local cops or cops that often respond locally, they already know this. Why does everything have to come down to LAWS? If you have good relationships, everyone can do their job and realize the best outcome.
    Here in Illinois, the highest-ranking responding officer of the fire department has control of an MVA. As it should be.
    As far as the cop switching hats; that's not allowed on our department. You commit at the time of the alarm. You either go as an EMT or you go with the fire department. Once there; if they have enough EMTs, then you must notify the OIC that you are available and if you have your gear with you, you MIGHT get to help tear a car up!
    It's not rocket science. But it does take a little effort.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Like I said in the link that was posted up from the volunteer forums, IC belongs to a Cheif, a Police Officer will come into play not as command, but in matters like reconstruction, etc..
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

CR's right about Illinois or anywhere else. The highest ranking fire office has the scene as long as there's rescue or fire concerned. Get that done and let the cops have it. As far as the cop having the gun, let the cop have the scene, but make sure he knows that he's responsible for everybody working there. We have a couple of good cops and a couple that wouldn't let us shut down the interstate for anything. I think I've said it before here, but if the cop wants to haul me to jail for trying to keep our guys from getting run over, let them do it AFTER everything's settled. I doubt that any self respecting states attorney would file charges. Of course, I haven't had to find out either. I also voted for ours and he knows it, too.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Question

Where is George when we need him?

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your state's laws. In Connecticut, the ranking fire officer on scene is in command of the entire scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the deal, folks. It doesn't matter what state you're in. The cops are in charge of roadways. Period. If there is a wreck on the roadway, the cop is in charge of getting the roadway opened. Period.
    I bet you will find a few ESU crews in New York that will argue this fact.

I saw some of these yahoo's on Cops the other night cutting up a car with no gear and rubber gloves...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Thread Information