MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up RIT - We're gettin' there!

Heard Jerusalem Twp. request Allen Clay JFD as a RIT at their working house fire Saturday night. The request was made while JTFD was still enroute.

First time I've heard one of the smaller departments in this area request a RIT.

I'm glad to see the RIT / Firefighter safety idea starting to take off.

(37Chief2, I'll be really glad the first time I hear it up there in Monroe County!)
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thats great !! Thats good to hear Jeruselum and Clay JFD working together on this, must have took some planning and training together to make this work, its good to see their on the up and up on this.

Forum Member

well............let me say this ............they may have called for RIT..........but it was uhmmmmmmmmmm fun to listen to and they NEED to let their dispatchers know to call them, amongst other things as they originally requested the RIT team the JTFD dispatcher called Ottawa County for the RED team and that led to more not so meaningful radio traffic.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't gonna mention that....like I said we're gettin' there.

Could it be a symptom of local governments making a police dispatcher slide over to the fire radio between running wants and warrents? I don't know...

Thank God for those competent and professional EMS dispatchers this county has. They could try to make them dispatch the LCSO road patrols too
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey don't pick on the Poor OCSO Dispatchers....they were working on their nails
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

oh ya ............gettin there .......sure !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Heard Lake Twp call for them on Monday for a house fire also. Very late into the incident though.

Forum Member

Lake Twp has been using Allen-Clay (Genoa ) as a RIT team for a while. Hopefully when we get everything in place for our FAST team, more people will be calling for one, since we have a few departments who don't have one responding through their own department or a MA one.

As for the LCEMS Dispatchers........ you gotta watch them sneaky SOBs sometimes....... Actually there was talk a while ago about taking over dispatching for some FDs, but it never went anywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Actually there was talk a while ago about taking over dispatching for some FDs, but it never went anywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.......
    Neither would I...

The LCSO Dispatchers are very nice people and are definitely overworked. They do a good job most of the time but some of them have no grasp of FD or EMS operations and I've heard they receive no training in it.

For example: We got dispatched today for an "ana shock". (I thought for a minute she said "a man shot" but then I remembered I was in Washington Twp.)
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

You are very correct. They receive very little training when it comes to Fire/EMS. I believe they did one 8 hour day of training with our boss for EMS, and probably the same or less concerning Fire. It's pretty sad. I hear a lot of them say they don't really want to dispatch Fire. I would do it in a heartbeat. Add a little more to our workload, but the pay would be better, and the FDs would get better service...

Forum Member

they are not underworked............they are like almost any place without a dedicated FIRE dispatch center...........they ARE a dispatch center that DOES NOT care nor have training to do fire/ems ops, henceforth PD functions rule the roost.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually we wouldn't add much to your workload. All we need is the initial alert (and a call to Monroe County for Morin Point on auto-aid call types). Our dispatchers take over and do everything else once they get to the station.

Not sure if other departments dispatched by LCSO operate the same way or not.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Maybe a certain Chief on here could put a bug in someone's ear to look at changing things. (HINT HINT )

Forum Member

Originally posted by WTFD10
    Actually we wouldn't add much to your workload. All we need is the initial alert (and a call to Monroe County for Morin Point on auto-aid call types). Our dispatchers take over and do everything else once they get to the station.

Not sure if other departments dispatched by LCSO operate the same way or not.
    Actually, most departments wouldn't add a whole lot to the workload due to the amount and type of runs they get. It could be fun, that's for sure........

MembersZone Subscriber

Trust me guys...from a guy who has to dispatch other departments at times it STINKS!!!!!!!! But it shows you who the people who have no clue what they are doing are.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe a certain Chief on here could put a bug in someone's ear to look at changing things. (HINT HINT )
    This was kind of a hot topic a while back at some of the county chiefs meetings in regards to the LCSO dispatchers dispatching some of the area volunteer departments. I talked to a few chiefs who were dis-pleased with the way they are dispatched. There is a big turnover rate in LCSO dispatch, and the new dispatchers hardly recieve any training on FD lingo or operations, the only training they receive is how to set our tones off and what to say. I personally would love to see LCEMS dispatch or Toledo Fire dispatch take over the dispatching of some of the area VFD's. That was my suggestion and some of the other chiefs agreed with me, but the problem was nobody followed through with it and its kinda died off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well it sounds like if this was brought forward from both directions (Chiefs and Dispatchers) it could happen.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I don't think it will do any good for the dispatchers to bring it up again. I think it needs to come from the Chief's of the FDs. Nothing can be done unless they want it to happen, so I think if it is pursued by them, it is very possible to do. Then again, I know some Chiefs are very busy and don't have a whole lot of time to pursue things like this when they have more important issues going on within their departments.

Thread Information