Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default ground ladder training

Does anyone have any ideas about ground ladder training? I want to do something a little bit different with the guys other than the usual "this is a beam...this is a rung" training.

Thanks

I have taken fdny lt. mike ciampo's ground ladders for dummies class he teaches a lot of comon sense stuff. ALong with some firefighter carrys down ladders. email me if you need more info captain7@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

I have taken the same class at FDIC a few years back. Along with I think his name was Capt. Walter Web or something like that from DCFD Rescue 1. ALL the senarios were based on REAL World Rescues that acutally have happend.

It was well worth it.

For Drill try practicing on having your members pick a building and practice picking out the most correct portable ladder to reach that window and use up all the ladders to the most efficency. (That means don't use the 35 ft on a 2nd floor window when a 20 ft straight will work.)

Practice having the members climbing to rescue a combative victim or one that suddenly after they are half way up produces a baby and hangs it out the window. Just place "victims" in a few rooms and tell them to show up at staggered times.

Place another victim in the room...see if after removing a semi-concious vicitm or one that doesn't speak English by the ladder they continue back up the ladder to VES that room. If they don't show them how they don't just stop after removing people by the ladders that thier job isn't done.

Imagine people threatening to jump..etc. get creative.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Come up with REALISTIC situations that can reasonably be expected to occur that will require use of ground ladders. Things like:

"Ladder the second story window to remove a victim through it."
    "Ladder the roof to perform vertical ventilation."
    "Ladder the roof to reach the chimney at a chimney fire."
    "Ladder the second story window to perform horizontal ventilation."
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Write each situation down on a separate piece of paper, including the number of people you expect to do each task.
    Write each person's name down on a separate piece of paper or just list them all in some order.
    Draw one evolution from a hat. Then draw the number of names assigned to that evolution, or just pick the names in order from the list.
    These people perform the evolution- exactly like they would be expected to perform the real thing. They must choose the correct ladder or ladders. They must properly get it to the location and deploy it. They must properly perform the task required. They must return equipment to service.
    Then draw the next evolution, and the next group of names.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

Perform it just as they would showing up 1st Due...Make it realistic and do it over & over & over & over & over & over. Until they can do it without getting excitted or confused. It should be as easy as deciding what you guys will be eating for the meal that day.

If you aren't sure what you'll do in this situation(photo below)...practice again.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

You've only got one shot to get this one right...make sure you are ready.

There are at least 4 victims (visible) in this photo. One on the ladder, one to the left stradling the awnings, one child on the right side awning and one at the foot of the ladder who prior to FD arrival jumped.

Why did I say "at least" If you don't VES the rooms after removing the visible victims you will not be completing your duties.

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-20-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Thread Information