Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Soda Ash Extinguisher Question

Does anyone know anything about soda ash fire extinguishers. I saw one at my local junk store and they are in excellent condition. Are they of any value? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Forum Member

They are soda-acid fire extinguishers. They contained a mixture of water and soda with a small bottle of acid in the top. Inverting the extinguisher allowed the acid to mix with the soda creating carbon dioxide to expell the agent.

I don't know the value as a collector item and it would vary by manufacturer and condition. I have seen them made into table lamps and other decorations.

Don't try to recharge one as they are a soft seam cylinder and would probably rupture under pressure.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Don't know the value either, but if you can pick one up cheap, why not?? I bought one a few years back. Might be worth something later on.

Q6cap

Old chuck & ducks?I've trained on them(a long time ago),know how to recharge them and I used to have a couple of the recharging kits kicking around.They make excellent lamp bases or a place to put your beer.Restore one to operational?No thanks! I've got one in my living room,nice conversation piece.T.C.

Clean it up, slap a plaque on it, and it makes a great traveling trophy. Perfect for waterball competitions.

I've seen prices on those in the area of $70-80.

Exclamation

I would take the top off of the extinguisher and empty all the contents and wash out the thing. Clean it good in and out and put in your house by the fire place so all can see. Don't paint it, don't screw any plaques on it. Just leave it like it is after you wash it good.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you can find one with rivits that is in good shape you have yourself a prize. Some of the copper ones are very nice also.
    You could make a run of the mill newer extinguisher into a lamp. or just display it next to the fireplace.
    I'm with everyone else DO NOT try to recharge it.

Thread Information