Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baltimore's Firefighter recruit class is all white

The Baltimore Fire Department has hired an all-white class of recruits for the first time since the department was integrated 50 years ago.
    A fire officials called the 30-member class an anomaly and said the department had followed regular hiring procedures, the Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday.

The department is allowing six black recruits to join the academy on a conditional basis, the newspaper reported. There is also a move to change the department's entrance exam.
    The newspaper cited fire department spokesman Kevin Cartwright as saying the department interviewed several black recruits who had passed the entrance test but those failed criminal background checks or drug screening.

The department in the past has bypassed some white recruits who scored higher than black candidates on entrance exams, with officials selecting the African-American candidates to help diversify the department.

Baltimore's population is about 65 percent black but about 25 percent of the city's 1,700 firefighters and paramedics are minorities, the Sun reported. The current recruit class has been in training since February and should graduate this summer.

Alfred Boyd, a retired black firefighter, told the Sun, "The chief has set this department back 50 years with this group."
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default Re: Baltimore's Firefighter recruit class is all white

Originally posted by DrParasite
    The newspaper cited fire department spokesman Kevin Cartwright as saying the department interviewed several black recruits who had passed the entrance test but those failed criminal background checks or drug screening.
    The department in the past has bypassed some white recruits who scored higher than black candidates on entrance exams, with officials selecting the African-American candidates to help diversify the department.

Alfred Boyd, a retired black firefighter, told the Sun, "The chief has set this department back 50 years with this group."
    I have nothing against black firefighters (or any race for that matter) but this is absurd. Baltimore FD bypassed white recruits who scored scored better on tests in favor of African Americans who scored lower? How is this fair to the white recruits?

The dept interveiwed black recruits, who did pass the entrance but failed the criminal background check or drug screening. maybe it's a good thing they weren't hired based on the results of the drug test or screening alone?

and what's this guy's problem? The chief set the dept back 50 years? no, he just followed the rules, and keeping everything equal, and held everyone to the same standards. gee, how unfair.

I'm all for diversity in the work place, and have nothing against anyone. but this is absurd. forget race, forget affirmative action.

whether it be man, woman, white, black, or any other characteristic you can name, I say let the best person get the job.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Mr. Boyd didn't have a problem with the hiring practice when white people were being discriminated against, but he does have problem with the department not hiring felons and drug addicts. Same old hypocritical BS.

Forum Member

MAY THE LAW SUITS BEGIN

MembersZone Subscriber

Back 50 years my ***. That's keeping them right where they ought to be, RIGHT. Philadelphia skips over whites left and right so they can hire more minorities who didn't score as high on the test. Who's fault is it they didn't score high enough on a test. I didn't score high enough on the test, so can I bypass all the guys ahead of me?? (no...I'm white).

It's absolutely rediculous the hiring procedures and the attempted "diversification" of many metropolitan fire departments.

This type of stuff increases racism and increases tensions between white and other minority firefighters. Many of the whites may develope animosity towards the minorities because they may not have been the best candidate for the job because the best candidate was passed over for being white.

So be it, if that's the order of ranking, than that's the way the recruit academy gets classed up.
    I spose that's my fault because I'm a whitey that they failed this portion. Hmmmm, is personal responsibility only the requirement of certain segments of society, others, especially if they are a minority, are excluded?
    Mr. Boyd sir, you are, in my personal opinion, a racist bigot. I have a gut feeling that if it was fifty blacks, he would still be whining because there might be a white instructor...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Unbelieveable......... That's really all I can say right now...

Ya know, I'm sorry, BUT if you can't make the grade for the testing then you simply cannot do the job. It's no one's fault but your own if you fail a test that you could have studied for, or maybe you just don't have the aptitude for it........ ummmmm wasn't there a post in Off Duty concerning the retrosexual man ........ DEAL WITH IT, MOVE ON, GET OVER IT, BUILD A BRIDGE, PLACE BLAME WHERE IT LIES NOT WHERE IT MAKES LIFE EASIER FOR YOU ....... OH and did I mention GET OVER IT. I don't care what race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation you are, if you can do the job fine, if not get the hell out and find a line of work you can excel in. Peoples lives depend on US being able to do our jobs. I don't understand why "accepting" second rate applicants is ok within the fire service, when it's not acceptable elsewhere. I submit my resume for a job, if I have the qualifications fine, if not then it generally sucks to be me. Instead of crying racism and discrimination why not search within one's self to determine the cause of the failure. Oh and above all else GET OVER IT.

Edited to add a further thought: When are the powers that be going to realize that we are going to "PC" ourselves to death ....... in the most literal sense of the word. Hiring underqualified individuals not only endangers the public but most importantly it endangers the Brothers and Sisters who must work along side them. PC my ***, grow thicker skin and GET OVER IT.
    Last edited by PFire23; 04-20-2004 at 08:42 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default Re: Re: Baltimore's Firefighter recruit class is all white

Originally posted by PFire23

Ya know, I'm sorry, BUT if you can't make the grade for the testing then you simply cannot do the job. It's no one's fault but your own if you fail a test that you could have studied for, or maybe you just don't have the aptitude for it........ ummmmm wasn't there a post in Off Duty concerning the retrosexual man ........ DEAL WITH IT, MOVE ON, GET OVER IT, BUILD A BRIDGE, PLACE BLAME WHERE IT LIES NOT WHERE IT MAKES LIFE EASIER FOR YOU ....... OH and did I mention GET OVER IT. I don't care what race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation you are, if you can do the job fine, if not get the hell out and find a line of work you can excel in. Peoples lives depend on US being able to do our jobs. I don't understand why "accepting" second rate applicants is ok within the fire service, when it's not acceptable elsewhere. I submit my resume for a job, if I have the qualifications fine, if not then it generally sucks to be me. Instead of crying racism and discrimination why not search within one's self to determine the cause of the failure. Oh and above all else GET OVER IT.
    Because then some people would actually have to work harder, instead of having something handed to him/her

Yeah. Playing by the rules and hiring the first 30 firefighters that (a) applied, (b) tested, (c) did well on the test, (d) passed the drug & background tests and (e) aced the orals is a terrible thing. What the heck were they thinking in Maryland? They should have picked people based on skin color instead. That would have been so much better.

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Would they have let WHITE FF join the class?

Now if it was an all black class nobody would be saying a word. So what if it was an all white class. They were the top scorers who could pass the background and drug tests. Unbelievable. Now who is going to win the race down there to represent the people who are inevitably going to sue Geoff Figer or Johnny Cochran?
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

The answer here is the same one that has been repeated over and over...

the best qualified candidates should be hired... period...end of story!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I'm with you on this one, Captain Gonzo, the best qualified people for the job should get the job and race should not come into it.

MembersZone Subscriber

It does not matter what special provisions are made, you will never appease the minorities in this country. I am still waiting for my taxes to increase so I can pay my part of the "reparations" for slavery. Funny thing is, most of these people could not trace an ancestor back to the days of slavery, simply because they had none. But I guess we are just supposed to pay them because they are black?

I think before the Government gives anyone a dime, the need to have proof beyond a resonable doubt that the person was a direct descendant of slaves.

Back to the subject at hand.....

This is another attempt by the PC Police to "diversify" everyone. I guess they were just supposed to give jobs to people with criminal convictions or positive drug tests? Sometime sI wish I had it as good as some of the minorities in this country. Affirmative Action needs to go.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

FYI,

Chief Goodwin has been throughly reamed by Mayor "I want to be Govenor" O'Malley, forced to eat PC pie, told to "fix it", gin up a new test, and probably is in danger of being fired.

Moral of story - Politics comes first.

Originally posted by oldman21220
    FYI,

Chief Goodwin has been throughly reamed by Mayor "I want to be Govenor" O'Malley, forced to eat PC pie, told to "fix it", gin up a new test, and probably is in danger of being fired.

Moral of story - Politics comes first.
    So what can Chief Goodwin do about drug screening and criminal background checks? Absolutley nothing. You do dope and rob and steal, you screwed yourself, that's the deal!

Mayor O'Malley, IMHO, can choke on his politically correct pie.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Stay tuned Cap. This will probably get very nasty before it's over. The suggestion has been made that they test monthly to keep minorities on the list. Long term they have already proven that they must "reach down" to have what the politicos want. Balitmore - We buy votes with your safety.

I wonder what a monthly test will cost the taxpayers in an attempt to appease the minority population, who as a whole do not apply for ther job in the first place?

The last two civil service firefighter entrance exams in Massachusetts had to have their application dates extended due to a lack of minority candidates applications... this after being advertised in all of the major newspapers and posted in the city and town halls of the Commonwealth...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I just heard on the news this morning that they are changing the testing procedures to mirror the police departments. I have no idea what those changes consist of, or how the police department testing policies are different.

Do they allow criminals and drug users on the police department??

Thread Information