Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default "TURBODRAFT" Feedback

I have been seeing and hearing about people using a product named "TURBODRAFT". This seems to make a ton of sense for department to access additional water supplies not within the tradional 20-30' from the pumping unit. It is my understanding that Turbo draft allows for the utilization of the fire pump to be fed from the discharge side of the pump into a suction box at the water source and a return line to the suction side of the pump, and effective for drafting up to several hundred feet away with the larger model? Not many people using them here in the Northeast, but can anyone share the good or bad experiences they have had on the product? Any additional pictures of it in use would be very nice also.

Stay Safe and good fishing,

Fish

Forum Member

Default Turbo Draft Pic

This is the picture I found and info from their website, but I would really like to know what "real life" scenarios are posing verses sales information.

www.turbodraft.net

Thanks and Stay Safe,

Fish
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

On the isoslayer.com website, on the front page at the very bottom there is a bright green link to photos showing its use. Larry was a big proponent of their use. I think some of the fire department links on that page also show its use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is Massachusetts Northeast?

Perhaps we will have to get Resq14 and Fire304's department to start using them - I guess they're a little bit more 'Northeast' than us.

The TurboDraft takes a little bit of getting used to, but they're very simple and quite effective once you have the basic concept. Every department I've been with from Virginia to Texas say the love them, so I guess you can't go too far wrong.

We should be carrying two per rig once we get our new engines.

Here's the photo I posted in the "Large Tankers" forum. This one's only 50' from the water source - I'll post again when I get some shots from a 150-200' drill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the rookie pump operator flowing 630gpm first time out with the TD.

MembersZone Subscriber

A view of the TurboDraft itself - in operation:

MembersZone Subscriber

The TurboDraft's view of things:

MembersZone Subscriber

Overhead view:

MembersZone Subscriber

Dry hydrant conveniently bypassed for a more reliable method of drafting:

so hows it work ? like a jet siphon ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We have a similar device. it connects to a hard suction vs LDH. it has a connection for a 1 3/4" hose. It can be used for shallow water suctioning. I'll try to get some pics of it. We mainly use it w/o the feeder line to draft out of a portable tank. It can be used to draft from one portable tank to another...hook unit on to hard suction, place in far tank, put other end of suction into near tank (make sure you secure suction so it doesn't go flying on you)...connect and pressurize feeder hose...and it pushes water from far tank to near tank. We've used it quite a few times with good success.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

or like a jet siphon !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default An old idea reborn

Ahhhh I love it when something comes out in the fire service claiming to be the "newest, latest and greatest" innovation out there......

The US Navy has been using these devices for years to de-water ships. Just older models...If I remember correctly, they were called "Peri-Jets". They were made of cast aluminum.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Basically, yes, it's a jet siphon.

It's easy to use and pretty effective. We don't have to use ours that often becuase we have 10,000 gallons responding on the first alarm, but it's there if we need it.

A couple of things if you have one or plan on getting one:

If you're running it on an engine and you don't have immediate tanker support, get the turbodraft in service and flowing water before you start your attack--you have to have water to get water.

Attach an empty foam bucket directly to the turbo draft handle using a small carabiner to keep it up off the bottom. This reduces the small debris that can be drawn in.
    www.gvfd.org

Exclamation

Ummmmm....

From what I see and what I have read on the web site, you are only getting around 670 GPM! Why not hook up the hard sleeves and draft like you would normally do and you would probably get full capacity from the pumper.

I could see where you had only one firefighter on the pumper and this is all he or she could do was to hook this thing up and gwt some water.

When I learned to pump, we was showed how to hook up hard sleeves by your self for drafting. We actually had to do this task. It did take some time and some raw strength, but is was done and we did draft.

Just my thoughts on this.

allineedisu, the Turbodraft allows you to draft from much farther distances than hard sleeve, unless you have lots of hard sleeves. We looked at one but did not see a need for it as our drafting locations are always within 10 feet of the truck. If your locations are more than 30' away, a Turbodraft would be a help.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I see your point. What I was concerned was the lack of full capacity, but what ever water you are getting is more than nothing.

I think dry hydrants would work in most cares and if you could get the highway guys to shore up the road and shoulder near a lake or water source, you could get closer to draft. I know there are places where there is no way to get close enough to draft. In this case this turbodraft thing would help.

MembersZone Subscriber

One big drawback, like Scott said, is to make sure your people are familiar with its setup and operation. I have seen first hand a department that wasted the 1st dues tank water trying to prime the TD and had to sit until the next due arrived with their water. ITS A TOOL, USE IT AS SUCH, ITS NOT THE END ALL, BE ALL. Just a thought.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

The following is from their on-line operating manual. It looks like they made the Navy's equipment.

For many years Schutte & Koerting has provided portable eductors to the U.S. Navy. These eductors were used for fire fighting onboard ships. The units were used to increase the volume of water available for fire fighting. They utilized the high pressure pumps onboard to supply the motive flow to the eductor which was placed overboard. The design of the unit was for high discharge head and typically had a two-to-one flow ratio. (i.e. 100 gpm of motive, 200 gpm of suction, with total flow of 300 gpm.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Spring, Texas has Turbodrafts that have either 4 or 5 inch inlets (I can not remember what size for sure bit I know they are Storz) and 6 inch outlets.

Thread Information