Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Federal Firefighters

Anyone know how the pay scale for the federal firefighters works? If a position is a GS-4 @ 24666, What is your final pay for the year. I know there is a 72 hour work schedule. Is additional OT added in to pad the amount? Anyone out there who can help would be appreciated. Especially if you a fed yourself. Thanks.

Forum Member

check out www.dodfire.com - there is a good forum on it for federal stuff, also there is an excel download available for the pay scales.

your pay depends on your locality. the base pay for a GS-04, step 1 is $36,701 based on the "rest of US" locality... you can find specific localities on www.opm.gov and search for 2004 gs pay charts.

your pay is based on 144 hours (72 hrs. per week) and 106 of that is regular time and 38 is OT...

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

I know it's a little different, but a Department of Interior (BLM, USFS, USFWS) firefighter you also get hazard pay when you are on an uncontrolled fire. That is 25% above your base pay, makes the checks nice when you spend two weeks out on a fire.

Thanks. DODFIRE.COm had exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for you help.

Thread Information