IACOJ Agitator

Default Police Union Decal Sparks Dispute

Not fire related, but I know of all those "union sticker debates" regarding people who have them and shouldn't. I figured you career guys (and some vollie's) could appreciate what the police officer did...

Police Union Decal Sparks Dispute
    Officer Suspended For Removing Decal

POSTED: 11:40 am EDT April 21, 2004
    UPDATED: 11:55 am EDT April 21, 2004

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- The New Haven police union is appealing the one-day suspension of an officer for scraping a union decal off a car driven by a drug suspect.

Earlier this month, Police Chief Francisco Ortiz suspended Officer Dave Rivera for one day for conduct unbecoming an officer. The union has since filed a grievance to overturn the penalty.

"I don't think it was conduct unbecoming," Sgt. Louis G. Cavalier, the union president said Tuesday. "I thanked him for actually retrieving that sticker for us. I wouldn't want to see any Local 530 sticker on the back of a car that may be used in any kind of criminal activity."

The chief said Rivera did not have the authority to go into the car to remove the sticker.

The decal debate started last year. According to an internal affairs complaint, Rivera had approached the car owner, Graydon Myers, about removing the sticker last May. Myers refused.

In July, Rivera pulled over Myers son, Garrett, driving the car. It was then that the officer removed the sticker.

Graydon and Garrett Myers filed complaints in October, two days after Rivera arrested the younger Myers in an unrelated case.

Garrett Myers has two pending drug cases in Superior Court, including a case in which he is accused of selling crack cocaine to an undercover police officer with the statewide narcotics task force.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

More interestingly where did this guy get the sticker? I was recently made aware of people selling IAFF stickers on EBay
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

You can get anything you want on ebay. I recently saw an ad for "professional firefighter union" clothing. When I wrote to the person asking to find info on why they feel fit to make money posing as a proffesionl firefighters union the person informed me that since they have no affialtion with the iaff or fmba it was perfectly fine and that they were not trying to pose as any type of union. It is s**t like this that just agrevates the hell out of me. The rest of us bust our asses working towards things and then other people come and mouch off the reputations that we build. I appauld the officer for removing that sticker, I am sure that many persons worked very hard to make their union respectable, not to have some louse go and ruin their rep.s.

Forum Member

Go to John Kerry's website, there is a link there that allows you to purchase all kinds of IAFF stuff.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't even get to the link unless you are an IAFF member. I guess if someone got your log-on info, they could purchase stuff. but then again, who in their right mind would waste time trying to break someone password to a John Kerry website?

Forum Member

I'm glad to see they added that. Last time this was brought up, it was free entry. They had quite a few items listed for sale. Maybe someone is reading these forums!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

These were actual IAFF window decals forsale on EBay
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information