Thread: FDNY E40/L35

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY E40/L35

I recently read the book "Firehouse" by David Halberstam. It is about FDNY E40/L35 and the men that gave the ultimate sacrifice on 9/11. So, the point of the post is two fold:

1. What is the FDNY comment about the book? Was it accurate? It seems like the author was very close to the survivors and did hundreds of interviews, but how did the final product turn out?

2. Barring any protest of the book that I'm unaware of, I'd recommend the book. The author Frank McCourt ("Angela's Ashes" and wrote an intro to the book "Brotherhood") said about the book "If you have tears, prepare to shed them." I think that was pretty accurate. I finished the book in two days and am not a cryer at movies or books, but this one definitely forced a couple of tears because of the incredible stories. It's definitely worth the $14.

Eric

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thanks Eric...In 2002, Halberstam published his national bestseller, Firehouse, a moving portrait of the brave men of Engine 40, Ladder 35 in Manhattan, which lost 12 of its 13 firefighters in the attacks on the World Trade Center on 9/11/01

". . . acts of uncommon courage by ordinary people."

We call our Stations in the City of New York Firehouses. We all know a house is a home. Well 40/35 is my home where my other family lives.
    Firehouse was written by David Halberstam. David hit the nail on the head when he wrote this book about my Firehouse and the Guys I work with. If your looking for details about 9-11-01 this is not the book. But if your looking to see what a FDNY Firehouse is like read this book.It is a GREAT tribute to my friends who I miss, ALL GOOD MEN.

1. What is the FDNY comment about the book? Was it accurate? It seems like the author was very close to the survivors and did hundreds of interviews, but how did the final product turn out?
    All the family members endorsed the book.
    FDNY endorsed the book.
    It was very accurate.
    David took his time to talk to all of us.
    The final product turn out better then we thought.
    And now comes the Movie...
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 04-22-2004 at 08:06 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

I was hoping that you would reply to this post. It was definitely tough to get through some parts of the book, it was just really heart-wrenching. And I don't know any of the guys. I'm really glad that it is endorsed by the FDNY, it makes me feel better that I bought it. The final product was incredible.

Eric

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

"Firehouse"....as written by David Halberstam, tells the story of the "Brotherhood" from inside the firehouse...not a view from the outside. It's the story of our family, our firefighting brothers, who live a close knit life at Amsterdam and 66th Street, in Manhattan.

God bless them all!

From your brother at 66th and Columbus,
    NJFFSA16
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default I haven't mentioned this before....

...but I think this particular thread might be the right spot. It's amazing the way things get connected in this business. I've been trying to track down a copy of the book ever since I heard about it. Kevin Bracken's brother Bill is a Sheriff's Officer in my County. I had the chance to spend last Halloween checking candy with Bill at my Firehouse. I was also involved in the fund raiser held up here to replace one of the tools E40FDNYL35's company lost on 9/11. (still using the rabbit we got you?) I also wanted to say I was sorry I had to miss the party at the Dark Horse (some bosses just don't care )
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read this when it came out and did not put it down till I finished it. It is an incredibly moving book and tribute to the men of E40/L35 and many tears were shed as I read it.

Sherry

Forum Member

I read this when it came out and did not put it down till I finished it. It is an incredibly moving book and tribute to the men of E40/L35 and many tears were shed as I read it.
    I couldn't agree more, as well as Dennis Smith's "Report from Ground Zero" Tripperff you still lookin for a copy? If so, let me know.

cheers

Red

Never forgotten FDNY

Thread Information