Thread: EMT-B Testing

Exclamation EMT-B Testing

Hi everyone, I am currently in a EMT-b class and i am not going to be able to take the state test that my instructor has set up for the class because i am going to colorado for a summer job. i was wondering if anyone knows on how to find out the testing dates for emt-b. i have looked on the IDPH website, but all i got was confused. thanks, eugene martin

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

geeno, what part of the state are you in?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Default NREMT Website

If you are wanting to test in Colorado durring your summer job you can check test sites on the NREMT website at http://www.nremt.org/about/nremt_news.asp

Go to locate an exam, click on colorado then search basic level.

Here are the test dates an locations

5/12/2004 Longmont, CO Basic Written 5/19/2004
    5/15/2004 Westminster, CO Basic Written 5/22/2004
    5/20/2004 PUEBLO, CO Basic Written 4/29/2004
    5/21/2004 Arvada, CO Basic Written 4/30/2004
    6/4/2004 Colorado Spprin, CO Basic Written 6/11/2004
    6/18/2004 Gunnison, CO Basic Written 6/25/2004
    7/24/2004 GRAND JUNCTION, CO Basic Written 7/31/2004
    8/20/2004 Pueblo, CO Basic Written 7/30/2004
    8/21/2004 Pueblo, CO Basic Written 7/31/2004
    12/16/2004 DENVER, CO Basic Written 11/24/2004
    Pueblo, CO Basic Written 11/25/2004
    12/17/2004 Pueblo, CO Basic Written 11/26/2004

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would sday talk to your teacher. When I took mine it was at the community college in Sugar Grove,IL. As for the national registery it is usually held in Rockford from what I know. Hopes this helps

Forum Member

if he tests in colorado, he'll be licensed in colorado. and if the job there is just a summer job, that's not the way he wants to go. how much time is there between your last class date and your leaving for colorado date? you can probably find a test location in there somewhere. when i tested, just last summer, we had 4 choices of locations all within a week of where we wanted to take it, and if none of those worked, we could take it the week after that in 3 other places. so they really try to accomodate you as best they can. your teacher can find out all your testing options, and you DO NOT have to test where/when the rest of your class does. good luck!! and whatever you do--don't be nervous--it's not a bad test at all!
    Laura : )
    p.s.--where are you in school at?
    p.p.s.--if i remember correctly...most states have different curriculum requirements for licensing, so you probably can't test in Co if you took your schoolin' in IL...(of course there are exceptions to this)
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

ok, im at Elgin Community College, which is in elgin a NW burb of chicago. yea, I have thought about taking colorados tests but i talked to a college out there and they said that id have to take their states classes all over to be able to sit for their test. AND... if i was to take the NREMT test, will i have to take the illinois test first, or no? thanks for all the help
    Last edited by geneo18200; 04-22-2004 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

yeah....you have to be state licensed before you take the national test. sucks huh? i still think that you can find somewhere up there to take it before you head off to CO.
    elgin huh? i have friends in glenview, northbrook, wilmette, and all over the place up there! been to elgin many times.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was also kind of confused about this. I am from central Illinois. If I get a national EMT license, could this be used in lieu of a state one, for example if I went to St. Louis, MO, would the license be applicable there? If not, what is the point of a national license if the state one overrides it? I can understand some firefighter certs. not being applicable due to different climates/scenarios in regions, like an Illinois one might not focus on some things needed in Los Angeles since we don't usually have earthquakes, or hurricanes like Florida.

Forum Member

the state test does not override the national test, the national one is good for all continental 48 states. when you go somewhere like LA with earthquakes, or NYC with more stuff like stabbings and shootings, than say, nashville IL where most of our calls are car accidents, you get trained more by that particular agency that you'll be working for on how to handle things like shootings. any place will try and get you more familiar with the thing you'll be handling the most. HOWEVER: i have heard that the national test is much harder than the IL state one. everybody i have talked to about it says to take the state one, if you pass that, read your course material word for word twice, then you might be able to pass the national.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

The way I understand the law is something like this:

ALL states must follow the federal DOT curriculum as a minimum. They can add certain things, like certian content, but the curriculum must be followed pretty closely.

You must be licensed/certified in the state in which you originally took your class. After that, the National Registry gives you kind of universal reciprocity. For example, Colorado and Illinois have reciprocity in their licenses. You still have to take the Colorado state test, but you do not have to go through a class in CO. THEN, you must test into whatever EMS system you will be operating in (we still operate under a doctor's license). HOWEVER, if you go to another state that does not offer reciprocity to Illinois, then you must take a class in their state; UNLESS you are NREMT. Then, same deal as if they offered reciprocity. Either way, you'll still have to be testing like crazy.

I don't know of anyone, personally, who is NREMT, but I have also heard that the national test is quite difficult.

Don't know if that helps you any or not. I'm kinda confused myself, now.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

The "head" of our EMS system is actually a NREMT-P. He was the first paramedic to get that job which was previously held by a RN. I know he works for St. Louis FD sometimes as a paramedic but I don't know he had to test there before he hired on or not.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

The NREMT-B test isn't that hard. I don't think it was any harder than the State test. If anything it is only 10% harder, and you should have learned more than enough in your class to pass the national test. As I understand it if you have your NREMT-B that automatically qualifies you for an Illinois license through IDPH. The people in our class who only took the NREMT-B class were garaunteed a State licence if they passed, but if the didn't pass, they couldn't take the state license exam, they had to retake the national until they passed. I know people that took their class in Iowa and then took the NREMT test and were given their Illinois license when they started to work in Illinois. So taking yours in Colorado shouldn't be a problem.

Lee

thx, about the difficulty, i have heard that it is more numbers ie. you have to know how many G of epi are injected w/the auto injector. does anyone know if this is true or a rumor? thanks again

Forum Member

yep, i had to know the epi pen question. a lot of it is numbers. but a lot of it is scenarios, and most of the scenario questions are common sense.

Thread Information