Thread: search event

Default search event

i've taken a PAT once already and got turned all around. can anyone give some sound advice? i know one mistake i made was taking my hand away from the wall. but are there any other secrets that could help?

Forum Member

Default Physical Agility

Physical Agility, CPAT, Biddle What Ever

This is a segment from an article on the physical agility. The complete article is available in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8

Often, candidates don't realize that it's not just strength in the physical agility. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip. If you are uncertain or having problems in the physical, take advantage of any college or academy programs to learn the techniques to practice pulling hose, throwing a ladder, dragging a dummy (not you), etc. Many departments offer practice "run-through" sessions for their physical test prior to the actual date of testing. Don't pass up this opportunity.

You don't want any surprises during the physical agility. You need to have practiced hands on with every segment of the agility. Too many candidates think they are in great shape. One who did not take advantage of the practice session told me, "Hey, that 75 pound hose pack was heavy. Humping that hose bundle up the tower, hosting and other manipulative skills, then back down the tower steps made my lungs burn (they were still burning days later) and caused the loss of valuable seconds." The best way to train for this event is to up the cardio by going up and down bleachers with a backpack with weights or a weighted vest from www.WeightVest.com

Here is a tip on the Search:

#6 Search: Get in and get out! You may not move like a greased pig at the fair but you do need to move. One candidate wrote: Here is where I lost about 15-20 seconds. The event itself is pretty fun if you are not claustrophobic. Be aware of the obstacles inside. I could not figure one out, and I got disoriented and lost precious time figuring it out. Crawl fast as there are no abrupt edges that you'll run into. All the walls are tapered so as long as you keep your head down you can fly through. Doing the practice "run-throughs" will take away all doubt of what and where the obstructions are in tunnel crawl.

Always remember to stay right, and come back to your right after an obstacle. The event is shaped in a horseshoe, so there are two right turns. This can be a good time to catch your breath as well in preparation for the dummy drag.

The complete article is available in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8

“Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”

Fire "Captain Bob"
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information