MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Default jplastic factory explodes?

Anybody know anything about the Illiliopolis explosion? (Did I spell that right?)
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

The only thing I have seen was a small article in todays paper. Not many details in it. Did not mention any injuries or deaths. Hope that was correct.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default found the answer

Found a story about it - and how to spell Illiopolis. Anybody with first hand knowledge?

ILLIOPOLIS, Ill. - A series of explosions rocked a plastics plant in central Illinois, killing at least two people and injuring a number of others, authorities said.

Four more people were missing early Saturday, believed to be in sections of the plant where fires were still raging, said Sheriff Neil Williamson.

The explosion happened at about 10:45 p.m. Friday in a chemical reactor at the Formosa Plastics plant, said Illinois Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Patti Thompson.

Illiopolis residents living within a mile of the plant were evacuated and a nearby interstate highway was closed. Emergency sirens were sounded in two nearby communities as well, where evacuation was recommended but not required, Williamson said.

"We're treating it as a worst case scenario," he said. "We feel as if the cloud of smoke is toxic."

Two bodies were discovered early Saturday as small crews of firefighters began to surround the plant, which was "60 or 70 percent destroyed," said police Capt. Jeff Burkler. He did not identify the victims.

Many evacuated residents were taken to a Decatur mall, while a Kmart in Springfield was also being used as a staging area.

Fires were still raging in several areas of the plant early Saturday and Williamson said over 150 fire and rescue workers were expected on the scene.

A short time after the explosion, Interstate 72 was closed in both directions, from Illiopolis to Niantic, which is between Springfield and Decatur in central Illinois. The blast also knocked out power in both communities.

At least three injured people were taken to Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, but the extent of their injuries was not immediately released. Four others were treated for smoke inhalation.

A witness who was driving on the interstate said he initially saw an orange flash similar to lightning, followed by a muffled boom, then an enormous fireball 100 feet high.

Illinois Farm Bureau spokesman John Hawkins, who said he lives about five miles from the plant, said he felt the explosion.

"We were getting ready for bed and we heard this loud boom and the house shook," he said.

A telephone call to the plant Friday night went unanswered. The plant manufactures polyvinyl chloride used in PVC pipe and other materials for construction, medical supplies and automotive parts.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

From what I've heard on the radio in the past few hours, I believe they found 2 more bodies, which would bring the fatalities to four. I am not completely sure, being from the area, the radio stations seem to report something different every hour. For those who are not from Illinois or are not familiar with the area, Illiopolis is about 20 minutes east of Springfield, in the eastern part of Sangamon County.

Almost forgot to mention that in the article it says the explosion knocked out the power to Illiopolis and Niantic. It has not been determined if the power went out before the explosion or after, not that it really matters. Just thought that should be clarified.
    Last edited by outoffocus; 04-24-2004 at 04:26 PM.

Forum Member

it even made ABC news...and confirmed 4 dead now....I lived in that area for 14 years

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040424_1422.html

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I ran across the story as I was searching for email providers for my data entry work .... came in to post it

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/new...25iq500&src=ap

I wonder why Jack's thread didn't show up for me under new topics
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

About two weeks later, I come across this thread. I was there, not on Friday night though. We got called in on Saturday to relieve firefighters who had been there all night. The damage/destruction/devestation to the plant was, in a word, awesome. I don't think I will ever forget that, especially anytime I smell something even remotely like vinyl chloride. We hauled about 8,000 gallons of water, helped pick up equipment, search for, and locate, three deceased, then recover two of the deceased. There really wasn't much else to do after that, especially for me as I poked a hole in my boot somewhere/somehow.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard on the news this morning that a fifth victim has died as a result of the explosion.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information