Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diabetics??Need Info

Does anyone know of any case rulings or does anyone have any city policies against hiring someone who is a known diabetic (insulin dependant) for a firefighter job? And....how do you feel about this, lets say you are a part timer in a paid dept...passed all tests that are the same for a full time position...then you apply full time and are denied based on a "new" doctors idea that you can not perform the job being a diabetic..therefore you are not hired full time..yet are told you can remain a part time employee???? What are your thoughts??Trying to help out a friend..Thanks

Need a little more information. Has this individual had many diabetis incidents. Has he had any problems while on scenes of calls. My father and former chief of my dept gave up as chief and just supplys support for inside ff.This all after he was running a scene and was given a regular pepsi. Causeing his sugar to rise he then chose to step back and let some one else be in charge because he feels his life and others could be at stake..
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Not sure how the insulin-dependant part would factor in, but we have one FF on our department who has diabetes resulting from a bout of pancreatitis when he was a child. He doesn't take insulin, and while he's been hypoglycemic several times, he's never had any serious symptoms from that.

The only restriction he has is that he can't drive the ambulance, but that's because he can't get the medical clearance for the California Ambulance Drivers Certificate. He won't be able to serve as an Engineer either because he'll be unable to get a Class B license for the same reason.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

We have two type 1 diabetics on our department. They both use insulin pumps, are on very tight control and are as buff as anyone on the department. The concern about driving is moot, they both have drivers license and one has cdl haz mat endorsement. It depends on the indiviuals ability to control their disease process and their committment to maintain tight control. Tight control is testing upwards of 6 -10 times a day, use of an insulin pump which provides for a steady basil rate that mimics the normal pancrea functions. Providing for quick sugar boosts from high carb drinks to give enough fuel to perform safely the tasks on the fire ground. Is it a lot to do? Yes, but the ability to prove to the uneducated fire and medical officials that you are no different than any other person with the exception that your pancreas is on your belt! Keep the faith, others have fought the biased exculsion from a full time carrer and have won. It take an enormous effort but if you want it bad enough it's worth fighting for the best job in the world. Good Luck and Godspeed. Stay Safe and Keep Low,jack.

Sorry, one more thing have your "friend" check out www.childrenwithdiabetes.com and jdf.com. Also i do remember a web site that had information about this very subject but it escapes me at the moment if i remember i will post again! (I'm 49 so cut me some slack!) I do remember a thread on firehouse.com about diabetics and the fire service. Don't give up, some old time ideas die hard. The two FF on our department have never compromised either themselves or their crew due to their disease. Stay Safe and Keep Low. jack

We started a new group over on yahoo it's called
    thediabeticfirefighter in the groups section, hope this will help those of you who are interested in a carreer in the fire service! Check it out, thanks. Stay Safe and Keep Low, jack.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I know in some places a person with diabetes is prohibited from wearing SCBAs. Mostly depends on the department's policies and procedures.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

where i work if you insulin dependant you are put out of the job. you are only allowed to work if you can control your diabetes by diet.no medication allowed.thats are jobs policy hope this helps.

We have a diabetic. He met all the requirements for the position so we had to hire him per ADA.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I'm concerned being a diabetic is not a problem as long as the individual has it under controll. The only problem I could see with a diabetic on the job is if they had sensory deficite that is characteristic of some diabetics.

Forum Member

i am a type 1 diabetic. i am just about to be 15, then in a year i can become a cadet. he cannot be discriminated against because of his diabetes just to answer your question. he can wear the scba suit and do everything else. and that goes for the entire u.s. because this is a federal law. "Americans With Disabilities Act of 1994."

Thread Information