Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chaplain's List

Forum Member

Default Chaplain's List

Hello,

I am the next person to be promoted to LT. off of a list for my department. Our department does not have anything in place as far as maintaining a list of pastors, chaplains, or priests of the various religious faiths of our members.

I am thinking of approaching the different area churches and see if the pastors would be willing to put their name on a list and be available to speak with a firefighter if he needed such help, counseling, etc.

what would be the best way to make this approach to these churches? I want to have a list available to men under my charge in the event I am promoted off the list or even if I am not promoted. We need more forward thinking on my department and I feel this would be a step in the right direction. I was part of a crew that had to respond to the suicide of one of my own crewmates. I felt that the way we were handled in the ensuing weeks and months was not adequate.

Incidentally, I would also like to add pychologists and social workers to this list. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach these individuals to ask if they would be willing to do counseling either pro bono or for a minimal fee, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check around our hospital is in charge of the CISM team that I belong to. You may have one in your area. Also check at the county level thru community mental health they may have some suggestions for you.

You are off to a great start by preplanning and having the information ready and available if needed. Keep up the great work.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd be very surprised if any church or other faith organization would have a problem with you simply calling and asking just like you did here. You would probably get ahold of the office first, rather than the pastor, but I'd imagine that the pastor would return your call fairly quickly and would be more than amenable to what you're asking. If your department has a Chaplain, ask him/her to help or for ideas (I'm assuming you don't, though, or you wouldn't be looking for this). Another option would be any neighboring or MA department who might have a chaplain -- ask for thoughts or help from them as well. And I hadn't thought of asking a local hospital (we handle our CISM in-house), but lmrchief2 had a great idea for asking there.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way. Good job!
    Tony

You could also talk to your members and find out who they are already connected with (ie, their personal pastors) and then see if any of those folks would be interested in working with the department.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Thanks to all that have repied so far. I was thinking about interviewing each member to find out about the different faiths once I was promoted. However, preplanning may be the best route. why wait.

Originally posted by firespy
    I was thinking about interviewing each member to find out about the different faiths once I was promoted.
    I'd be careful with this... there are some questions you just aren't allowed to ask as a supervisor. One person making a complaint about your interviews and you're a hung bunny.

This may sound contradictory to my last post about asking the members - but there is a difference between asking for recommendations/suggestions for names to be added to a list and interviewing people about their faith.

I don't want to discourage you - I'm all for having Chaplains (okay, so I may be a bit bias on this) - I do want to be sure that you're set up for success.

Rev.
    Last edited by IACOJRev; 04-28-2004 at 08:22 AM.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

When you are looking for psychologists and social workers you might contact University faculty. There are often professional counseling, psychology and social work departments with adjunct or even full time faculty who might be willing to provide supportive assistance. Another thought is to consider looking for mental health providers who would provide support for family members with issues including childhood issues, school problems, etc. This way your staff could get to know the providers and be comfortable if they need the services directly.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you are going to the effort of compiling a list. One idea that i don't think i heard yet is contacting the local ministerial alliance. A ministerial alliance may not be organized in every town, but you might ask some local pastors. I highly recommend that they go thru some type of training. It is not that complicated and you may already have some pastors interested in being fire chaplians. If so, I'd love to help train them. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thread Information