Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Location of K-mart Fire

I was wondering where the 1982 Kmart Warehouse fire occurred. I know it was Pennsylvaina or somewhere in the northeast, but that is about all I know. Could you guys give me the direct area, township, etc.

I once viewed a fire departments website that went into detail about it and I am trying to find there website again, but am unable to. Can you guys give me some help?
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default K-Mart fire

It was definitely in PA, I'll have to do some digging to try to find the town name again.
    Captain/EMT-P

According to my copy of Industrial Fire Prevention and Protection by Thomas Ladwig, the fire occurred June 21, 1982 in Falls Township, PA.

The suspected cause was a carton of carburtor cleaner that was knocked off of a rack by an electric forklift and ignited by the forklift's motor. The 1.2 million square foot warehouse was sprinklered, but the high combustible load allowed the fire to spread anyway. As I'm sure you know, exploding aerosol cans became projectiles, further spreading the fire and hindering fire attack operations. The interior fire walls which divided the warehouse into four sections also structurally failed during the fire. Total loss was approximately $100 million.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Default Industrial Fire Prevention & Protection

SafetyPro,

Is there any way you could fax, post, or email that information for me. I am currently doing a report on this fire, but am unable to find enough resources and could use all the help I can get. The reason I chose this topic was specifically because of the sprinkler situation and how it affected the fire suppression efforts. Our reports had to be on a fire where the sprinkler systems stopped or failed to control the fire and why.

Thanks,
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The BC stands for Bucks County (PA). While I was only 8 when this fire happened, my dad worked witha guy that used to be Asst Chief at PennDel FC and was at that fire. Heard about it a few times. Lots and lots of overhaul.

If you go to http://www.buckscountyfire.com/links.asp?s=42&c=Bucks

there's the links to the Bucks Departments. Although nearly every department in the county as well as Montgomery County (PA) and many NJ departments showed up over the week, the main ones that would have been there would have been Falls Township, PennDel, Cornwells, Croydon, Eddington, Parkland, and Trevose. There were scores of others, but if you hit their web sites and email them I'm sure there's at least a few people still around that were there that day.

There's also a yahoo forum for the county. Rather than have you jump through the hoops to join the forum and then post, I'll stick your email address up there and ask for anyone that has any info to email you so you can ask specific questions.

Good luck.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Default Keep em coming guys

C'mon, I know theres gotta be more pennsylvania firefighters out there that know SOMETHING about this fire, have a link they could give me or even just mail me info. I have checked all of the fire department websites on the bucks county links page and none of them match this. I appreciate everyone's prompt replies!

Thanks!
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

If you can find the 25th Anniversary Issue of Firehouse they have something in there about it
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Default Kmart NFPA report

on this website u can buy (for $30 bucks) the full report that the NFPA did. They'll send it to u.

http://www.nfpa.org/PDF/FIreportsdate.pdf

Thread Information