Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 months

1 4.35%
  • 6 months

5 21.74%
  • 12 months

7 30.43%
  • Privileges: Meetings, Bunker gear, uniforms, ride alongs, etc.

3 13.04%
  • Other (please note)

7 30.43%
    Forum Member

Default Probationary Period and Priveliges

how long is ur xplorer probie period, and what priveliges do they have

Forum Member

I think we have a 6 month and/or a year for probation but I'm not sure. I never went through it. It was added long after I joined.

When an explorer joins they get a set of bunker gear (whatever we have left) and once they pay their fees they get the patches for their shirt.

During probation, the rules say they are not allowed to travel to out of state events.

As for privileges after probation, I can't think of any.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 04-26-2004 at 05:27 PM.

We have a 12 month probationary period for our Explorers.

As far as "privileges " (Using that term loosely) go, we get full turnouts, we can go to meetings, but not vote until your 16 (That all revolves around a unique program that we have here, long story, plenty of by-laws.) Idk, there is much more, just all your "basic" things that any FF gets. Except for blue lights, etc. etc.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Lets see...I didn't have a probationary period and I had only one restriction...No hot zone..Otherwise I was fair game for all
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Probation for our Juniors is 6 months. There is no command structure, just the Juniors (which I used to be) and the advisor(s), which I am now. They get full turnouts and can go in the hot zone once certified.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

HNFC FF/President

we actually have 2 periods

1st: 3 months, truck response will be limited. This period will be used for learning the layout of tools on the trucks, learning procedure, etc. Access to the building is restricted to having a senior member or a junior member that is off his/her probie period with you. Perfomance is evauluated and talked over with the probie.

2nd: 1 year, after the 3 month period the junior will have the access code to the engine room but should still go up with another member. member is still learning layout and limitation start to be lifted. Junior may ride 1st out pumper more often if room is available.

Probie is issued gear either when he/she first joins or when it becomes available. Probie may respond to calls after he is presented to the body at the monthly meeting.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

here our probationary peroid is 90 days. it may take longer, but NEVER shorter. in that time they have to learn all of the equipment on the trucks at all of the stations, and learn all of the officers. after they do that they have to take a written test, have to pass with an 80%. then and only then they get their gear and get to ride out on the trucks.

their privalages are verry limited, meetings and comming to the station for runs (can not go on scene).

once we are off probation we can do any thing except go in a hot zone.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

We had no set period. We all started the same time since our post was new. We had one member join up for a summer then leave for college but we didnt bust his balls much because he was that new . His first meeting we told him what we do and the rules and let him help in a drill.
    I am of the opinion that since explorers are volunteer and there is so much else to compete with a teenagers time you shouldnt have long ball busting probie periods. I think if you slowly allow the new person to do stuff as they learn more you will retain far more people than if you said "hey probies cant do anything for first________ months".........the person is more likley to lose interest.

Just my 2 cents.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I forgot to make a point that our 12 month probation period does not have any restrictions as far as what they can and cannot do compared to Explorers/Juniors out of the prob. period.

I would have to agree that saying you cannot do anything for x amount of months, or x whatever is a negative thing for recruitment and retention. I think that a probation period is essential in some respects, but only to limit, not prohibit the actions of an Explorer/Junior. As far was what to limit, that depends on the things that NPPE (for now I will refer to Non Probation Period Explorers/Juniors, as NPPE, not to say everyone is an Explorer, but a reference point) can do regularly, and all that stuff.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Probation period is one year.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

thanks
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Proby for 6 months
    Priviliges:
    The right to earn the privilige of being an explorer with a department.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

My department has the following rules and setup. We have three stations. We run 4 engine companies, 2 truck companies, a heavy rescue, and three ambulances. I am a Cadet (Our name for explorer). We have our own captain, 1st and 2nd lieutenant picked/voted in by our own members. We do not get ride alongs or allowed to go to scenes. We are allowed to go to company training with the cokmpany we are joining as well as our own. We do not get pagers but most of us bought ourselves scanner at the friendly neighborhood "Radio Shack". We are allowed to go to the station if we hear a call, I frequently go to my station and hang out whenever my company has a call. We do not have our own truck but we use the truck our advisor is a ex captain on. We do full training but cannot do training in a REAL fire even if in controlled conditions....Too much insurance regulations. We do march in parades and all. In short:

-No Pagers Or Ride-Alongs (Except Parade/Training)
    -Turnout Gear (Blue COnstruction Hats and No Boots)
    -No Key To Firehouse So We May Familiarize Ourself With Trucks
    -Weekly Training
    -Elected Officers For Ourselves
    -Reduced Proby Period When We Get In At 18. We Get 6 Months Instead Of 12.

Any questions?

Default Probationary period and privaleges.

I am in the Ansonia Fire Department in Southwesteren Ct.
    In our Juniors program we have a six month probationary period which can be extendend no more then three extra months. In our six month period we are to particapate in meeting and drills held monthly may ride on trucks if you are 16 and vote on subjects when u get off probation. When you join you get gear and you can go to calls. The only thing we are not allowed to do on a scene is wear SCBA packs and enter the hot zone only after it has been extinguased and then we can perform salvage and overhaul. That is what we do in our program.

cam

Forum Member

Lets see...I didn't have a probationary period and I had only one restriction...No hot zone..Otherwise I was fair game for all

DITTO
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

At our post, you have three weeks to prove to us you are worthy enough to be in our post. Then you go through and interview and initiation process. When your done with that you are not allowed to go on ride out until you have completed our ride along certification program which depending on you dedication can take 4 months or your whole time as an explorer. Once you have gotten your ride along certificate you can do 14 hour ride alongs from 8am to 10pm on either the ambulance or the engine. Your are allowed to do anything that the Firefighter/EMT are allowed to do as long as you have been trained properly and have proof of training.

Ashley Meyer
    Senior Explorer with Big Bear City Fire Explorers Post 232
    Firefighter/EMT-I

MembersZone Subscriber

Our post works rather loosly on issues of probation. We do our best to issue everyone gear and make sure everyone participates equally in training. After a year (give or take) the instructor gives us a written and practicle test if he/she feels that we are ready for ride alongs. After some permission from the cheif we are all good for some rides!

Forum Member

We have a 6 moth probationary period but all it basically entails is that you donít have a uniform shirt (light blue ) until u reach the 6 mouth period. Then after 12 months you get a dark navy blue shirt. It basically is just to be able to tell who has more experience. Since we have a group of older kids that have been there for a while and a group of newbies we also use the uniforms to split are groups for drills. But other than that there really is not a probationary period.

6 months thats it, turnout gear issued right away for drill, and can respond once given premmision to pending on knolege of all trucks and tequniques

6 months thats it, turnout gear issued right away for drill, and can respond once given premmision to pending on knolege of all trucks and tequniques
    Bud, I think you need to be back in class to concentrate on your studies before you worry about your probation.

Forum Member

Cool probie period

In champaign our probationary period is 6 months then we get uniform clothes and we get to do ride alongs. We meet at the the illinois fire service institute so we go alot of burns and stuff we dont have to wait to do that we can do that at out first meeting we attend! We also just had a Explorer Cadet fire School!!! The best time I've ever had. I was like one of the only girls that partisapated to haha how cool!
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

Thread Information