Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SCBA

Default SCBA

Ok...Firstly what type of SCBA and does your dept require mask for all interior firefighting duties i.e. actual attack,overhaul etc..I wonder this because I see so many pictures of people goin inside smokey burning homes with the pack on but no mask...Does your dept require mask at all times?

Ours uses MSA and requires for all interior duties to be done with full BA
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

our department's sop's require us to wear pack and mask until we are told by an officer that we can take it off.

Forum Member

We use ISI Vikings SCBAís, we have retrofit our old ISI Magnums to fit the Viking masks. Everyone is issued a mask by the department and has to wear them until the IC gives the order to remove our masks.

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

We use Scott 2.2 SCBAs. We have some older ones also, but they are not in use and we are looking to trade or donate them to a needy department.

Our protocols require full protective gear to be worn when you are within 10 feet of the structure. That means masked up and fully buttoned up.

Between 10 feet and about 30 feet, you can have the mask and/or regulator off, but you still must wear the SCBA. Outside of 30 feet, it is optional.

The use of a mask is a must for our dept. while inside of a structure or any enviroment that presents a hazard to the respiratory system. So that means always while inside a structure.
    IACOJ

We use several different versions of the Scott 4.5. We're in the process of trying to get everyone their own mask, but at the moment, it's mostly people who can't wear the size large mask we have on each unit.

Our policy for fire calls (or other calls with a respiratory hazard) is that you have your SCBA on before you get off the rig (if you're riding in a seat with a holder) or as soon as you get off (if not). Mask goes on prior to entry or going onto the roof and stays on until informed otherwise by the officer. We do have a carbon monoxide monitor in our BC Suburban, so monitoring would be done before making that decision during overhaul.

Masks may also be required for exterior operations if the situation warrants (Captain or Chief's call).
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

WE ARE USING MSA WITH COMPOSITE BOTTLES. SCBA ARE REQUIRE FOR INITIAL ATTACKS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. AS FOR USE DURING OVERHAUL AND SALVAGE THAT CALL IS UP TO COMMAND. WE ALSO REQUIRE SCBA FOR CAR FIRES AND TRASH FIRES.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: SCBA

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    I see so many pictures of people goin inside smokey burning homes with the pack on but no mask.
    What good is the pak without wearing the mask?

Regardless........

Our deptartment uses Scott 4.5's and are in the process of replacing the 75 paks or so in inventory with Pak Fifty's with the intergrated PASS. All cylenders are being replaced with the carbon composites.

Our SOG says that a firefighters will be packed up but off air on ALL fires and reported fires. Yes this includes AFA's.

They are required to be on air when physically fighting fires unless directed otherwise. IE: manning master streams.

I totally agree with what good is the pak if your not gonna wear the mask...Then they wonder why the get all these problems with their lungs
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

We use Scott. Mostly 2.2 steel or aluminum bottles but we got 8 new carbon bottles and they are MUCH lighter then what we have been using. We plan on rotating out all our metal bottles in the next few years.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

We have mostly MSA low pressure with composite bottles. We also have a few very old Scott Air Paks.

Our SOG states the mask must be worn until the Safety Officer confirms a low enough CO level (during overhaul) with the meter.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber Trafficjockey93's Avatar

We use the Scott Next Generation(45 min bottles)with the integrated pass and accountability system.
    We are required to wear full SCBA on interior, exterior(when on the line or working close to the fire) and vehicle fires.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

We use Draeger PSS 100 Plus airpacks with the Sentinel package. They are basically high pressure packs with HUD, RIT connection, an integrated PASS device, and an audible high temperature warning. We use 45 and 30 minute composite bottles.

We are required to wear an airpack whenever we are engaged in fire attack/suppression operations. Also required to wear them during overhaul.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up SCBA

We use MSA with redundant PASS, and stealth 3000 cylinders, and the ultra-elite mask with the firehawk regulator. Works great. When working an interior fire, the mask is always on, and does not come off until the safety officer determines the carbon monoxide level is low enough to do so (each departments SOP may vary as to what that level is). In addition to interior work (atttack, search, overhaul, etc.) we also mandate that all personnel involved in suppression on a vehicle fire also wear their pack AND mask (hydrogen cyanide gas). Have you ever responded to an old quonset hut or barn with galvanized siding or roofing? Galvanized metal when heated produces deadly cadmium vapors. Wear your mask! Your personnel should also be QNFT fit tested annually or more frequently if needed to ensure they are wearing the correct mask. Do I sound like a safety freak? I better. I'm the HSO/ISO.

If you don't already have them, develop clearly defined SOP's that not only reflect offensive and defensive schemes for firefighting, but also keep firefighter safety at the forefront of all your operations. These SOP's shold be exercised on the training ground as well as the fireground. Fight like you train - train like you fight.

Thucydides, when writing of the Peloponnesian wars (circa 404 B.C.) said, "For they had learned that true safety came from long previous training."

Good luck.

Ken McNaughton, Captain
    Colfax Fire and Rescue
    Colfax, Washington

we use scott airpacks. some are issued thier own mask if the fail the fit test. but we are required to wear them anytime while in the hot zone or if conditions are to bad. ie- we had a fire about 2 weeks ago that was so bad with smoke they had to evacuate the whole street and the neigboring street. but we also in the process of upgrading our everything to buddy breathing and the nfpa upgrade with heads up display on the mask and a rit conection. and a new search rope in a bag on the belt.

chris
    FF/EMT

We use the Scott 4.5 system with integrated PASS, and have 30, 45, and 60 minute (composite) bottles.

Though I don't have the SOGs in front of me, I believe it is printed in the Structure Fire SOG (among others) that we use SCBA during attack, mop-up, and overhaul (i.e. while we're in the hot zone).

Even if it's not called out in the SOGs, we wear SCBA in any IDLH atmosphere: especially with what is given off by today's materials when they burn. HCN and Phosgene don't sound too pleasant.

Most guys pack-up when the situation has the potential to be nasty, even if it's not bad yet.

Forum Member

We have Interspiro 4500 with intergrated pass and RIT hook ups. Our department requires you also to wear breathing protection when in a IDLH atmosphere. Do we always do it, no. Should we, Yep!

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use MSA MMR Extremes..........high presure bottles.........integrated PASS. Anytime you are in an IDLH need to be masked up unless cleared by Safety with a meter.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We are using MSA with 2216 psi stealth bottles, with a pass system, also have the RIT connection, and the heads-up display, each FF has been issued a mask-if you don't clean it after using it, you'll be the one with a dirty mask next time. Every call out for an alarm at a structure the 2 guys riding the jump seats of the 1st out pumper are packed up enroute, additional FF will pack up on scene. We also require SCBA at all vehicle fires, anhydrous calls, and any other situations that have been tossed out by previous posts. My dept. also purchased each FF a full face respirator with replaceable filters to be used on wildland fires, when a full SCBA is not needed. These also work great for overhaul after it has been ok'd to take off SCBA's-the respirator keeps you from inhaling insulation, and other debris that still create a hazzard.

Here in South Australia we use Sabre Centutrians, we mostly use aluminium fibre wrapped cylinders but our front running pump has carbon fibre cylinders on its sets, we don't have the resources to fit out all members with masks but we all have the medium masks, I have a boof head so I don't need to tighten the mask straps but some others need to pull tight to get a good seal.

We wear them for all interior calls and defensive when there is heavy smoke present, also wear them for all car fires and industrial waste bin fires due to the fact you have no idea what is in them. For interior attack we must use guidelines unless we are using attack lines, that way if the worst were to happen we can find our way back. For any interior attack we must hand our tally to the entry control officer who records our names and cylinder contents, also the time we entered and on a slide rule works out when we are due out. We have a safety team outside that will enter at either the due out time or if a Distress Signal Unit is set off. We also must never commit to an interior attack unless we are in a pair. The ECO will not allow entry if the cylinder contents is less than 170 Bar.

We are very big on controlling the entry of crews, we have never had a death from interior firefighting from 430 stations in this department.

Darren
    SA Country Fire Service

Thread Information