Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Brothers (maybe Sisters) need our prayers

I just got an email telling of an accident between two responding apparatus (two separate departments) in the Chicago area, apparently in the suburbs near O'Hare. One FF went into Traumatic Arrest and there are reports of other Firefighter injuries. Let's pray for our fellow Firefighters, it sounds like they need it right now. According to the information I got the accident occurred at approximately 18:00 CST (I think CST is the Illinois time zone).

My thoughts and prayers are with the members of these two departments.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I echo PFire's statements. It's sad everytime we hear about an incident like this.......

Default Updated News

Just arrived in my inbox.

Hey...

Here is more information on the apparatus collision that occured this evening. 1 Fire Officer is now reported dead and I was advised at least 3 others are reported to be critical.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL
    BillyG
    The Secret List 4-27-04
    FirefighterCloseCalls.com

Fire trucks collide-Firefighter killed

By ABC7Chicago.com

April 27, 2004 (Northlake) - One firefighter is dead and at least one other hospitalized after two fire trucks collided Tuesday evening at the
    intersection of Mannheim and Armitage in the suburbs west of Chicago.

ABC7 Video Clip: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/video/0427ftax.html

The Stone Park Fire truck rolled on to its side in the collision. Multiple ambulances were called to the scene along with a Medevac helicopter. Loyola University Medical Center spokeswoman Sandra Martinez says two firefighters were brought to the Maywood hospital after the accident. She said one of the firefighters died at the hospital. She had no information on the other. The accident occurred at an intersection near the border of the suburbs of Northlake and Melrose Park. Witnesses tell ABC7 News that it appeared both trucks were responding to a call when they turned on to the street at the same time and collided. Mannheim and Armitage were shut down bringing the evening rush hour to a halt in the area. Be sure to tune into to ABC7 News for the latest information.

http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/...04_ftax_st.jpg

-----
    To visit Firefighter Close Calls home page, click here:
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com

To UNSUBSCRIBE, visit the following link:
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...uid=580a903adc
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

It appears that you and I receive similar email.

I'm sorry to hear that we've lost another Firefighter. My heart goes out to both departments involved and to the families of all involved. I pray that the injured have a speedy recovery.

Rest in Peace.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

That's terrible, I hope the other firefighters injured recover quickly and completely

My condolences are with the firefighters and families from the two departments for their loss.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 04-27-2004 at 09:16 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

sad for sure..........even worse...........preventable... ..
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Unhappy

The story is also on the Firehouse front page now.

Here is an article from the local TV station.......

NORTHLAKE, Ill. -- One firefighter was killed and others were injured Tuesday when two fire trucks collided in a crash that a witness said sounded like a bomb went off.

The firefighter died at Loyola University Medical Center in the Chicago suburb of Maywood, said hospital spokeswoman Sandra Martinez.

The collision happened about 6 p.m. at an intersection on the border of the suburbs of Northlake and Melrose Park. A witness said fire trucks from Northlake and the suburb of Stone Park were involved.

Cecil Graham, 39, a mechanic with Pollard Motor Co. in Melrose Park, said he was walking outside when he saw one firetruck heading through the intersection of Mannheim Road and Armitage Avenue. The other firetruck was traveling along Mannheim.

"As soon as (the truck) crossed the first lane of traffic, that's when I heard the bomb -- the big explosion," he said.

Graham said one firetruck landed on its side after the collision.

"I could see underneath the truck, the whole thing," he said.

Investigators believe the Northlake was turning north on Mannheim from the eastbound lanes of Armitage when it struck the Stone Park's only firetruck, which was traveling north on Mannheim.

"Clearly, this is a tragic event for both communities," said Stone Park Village Attorney Dean Krone. "I'm sure that all members of the departments and of other departments feel very deeply about this situation."

Firefighters involved in the accident had to extricate at least one firefighter from the truck and had to extinguish flames coming from it.

Ellen Maslo, a receptionist at Pollard, said the trucks were "pretty mangled" when she stepped outside.

"I thought if anybody came out of there, it would be a miracle," she said.

NBC5's Rob Elgas reported that investigators said both the Northlake truck and the Stone Park truck were responding to the same call -- a garage fire in nearby Lyons Township.

"I don't know whether there was communication between the two departments tonight," Krone said.

The 34-year-old Stone Park firefighter who died in the accident was also a Chicago firefighter assigned to Engine No. 57 at Division and Western, where he was an EMT, NBC5's Amy Jacobson reported.

The driver of the Stone Park fire truck was in critical condition at Loyola Tuesday night and was undergoing surgery for two broken femurs, a collapsed lung and head injuries.

"Considering that we work with these people all the time, it kind of hits home," said 32-year fire veteran Capt. Carl Lite. "There's small fender benders with ambulances and passenger cars, but with two firetrucks like this, no."

A 27-year-old Stone Park firefighter was at Elmhurst Hospital in serious condition Tuesday night, but his injuries were not life-threatening.

Two other firefighters were treated for minor injuries and released Tuesday night.

nothing good is going to come from this ................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

It is unfortunate that this had to happen, R.I.P, rest up and get better the rest.

Weruj1 is right, nothing good can come from this.

Stay Safe everyone.
    IACOJ

Thread Information