Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default St. Paul, MN- cave/technical rescue

BREAKING NEWS: Three dead, two hospitalized after cave rescue Watch video
    Updated: 04-27-2004 08:05:43 PM

ST. PAUL - Three teenagers died Tuesday of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning while exploring a complex of caves near the Mississippi River, authorities said. Two other teens were hospitalized.

The three were in a group of five - four boys and a girl - who entered an area known as the Wabasha Street caves sometime Tuesday afternoon, District Fire Chief Martin Ludden said.

One boy managed to get out of the caves and directed rescue workers to his friends, about 600 feet into the caves. Emergency workers managed to resuscitate one of the teens, also a boy, Ludden said.

The two survivors were being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at area hospitals.

"When we first came the readings on our carbon monoxide meters were quite high," Ludden said. "We assumed they would be dead."

Fire Chief Douglas Holton said one of the two survivors was "fighting for his life."

Outside the cave, ambulances waited for the victims to be pulled from the cave. Spent oxygen cannisters used by the rescue crews littered the ground.

A firefighter who assisted with the removal of the final two people told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that carbon monoxide levels were high inside the cave. He also said rescuers were using 60 minutes worth of oxygen in about 20 minutes.

The area is known as the Wabasha Street caves, and is a large network of caves with many branches and tunnels that lies across the Mississippi River from downtown St. Paul. Fire officials said the complex extends for miles along the river.

Holton said the teens entered through a small opening about 3 by 5 feet. Once inside, they could stand up, Holton said.

"The caves are used by a lot of people," Holton said. "Unfortunately, a lot of people start fires. That carbon monoxide just sits there."

The cave complex has so many entrances it's impossible to completely seal it off from the public, Holton said.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Default pictures

My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Default pictures cont.

George Mason

Thread Information