Thread: Refurb

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Refurb

My company has a 1951 Ford F-7 engine, it was just sitting in the back of one of our stations collecting dust until one of our ex-chiefs and member for 37yrs past away last weds. and he loved this truck so we got a water pump next day aired to us from South Carolina and did a quick fix of it to get it running and did some touch up painting and a nice coat of wax all in 2 days to get it ready for is funeral...Now after doing this the company wants to get it refurbed and be a parade truck of sorts but i really don't know any places in the New Jersey area that specialize in doing this...So basicly I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that does this...Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Fire1839; 04-28-2004 at 09:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't all respond at once...can't keep up with the response

I dont know any places but i'm curious to see pictures of this truck

I read through quick the first time and missed (some how) that your ex-chief just passed away. Sorry to hear about that and I feel like a idiot for missing it the first time through.

MembersZone Subscriber

yea no problem i can get the pictures tomorrow and get them posted asap...

MembersZone Subscriber

You might could check this place out.

http://www.delmarvafire.com/

I've never actually seen any of there work but the pictures look nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you!

Forum Member

There is a company in PA named Schwab. They refurbed my other depts. 2 pumpers. If I can find their email address or more info, I will post it. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 1940 Ahrens Fox that I sent them picture to give an estimate on refurbishing a few years ago. It was between 80 and 100,000.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Check out Valtek up in Patterson. They specialize in body repair and refurb. We've used them for our trucks and they do amazing work. Less than a 2 hour ride up the Parkway for you guys down there at the Shore.

http://www.valtekinc.com/fire.html

As far as mechanical repair, your best bet is to call your local apparatus dealer and ask for suggestions. Or ask whoever services your apparatus. Since it's a Ford, there's a good chance you can track down surplus parts for it.

We had a similar situation in our dept. when one of our longtime members died at the WTC. He bought and was working on an old 1939 Mack firetruck. The thing was in HORRIBLE shape when he bought it, but he was a mechanic for years in his father's shop before FDNY, so he was in the middle of restoring it. After 9/11, many of our guys and his friends and family spent almost every single day for months working on it so it would be ready to carry his casket when they found him. Here are some pictures of it at various stages:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/sikorsky/gregstruck.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/sikorsky/truck.html

Forum Member

There are different avenues you could follow. There are numerous fire apparatus repair facilities who could do the work. Swab Wagon Company of Elizabethville Pa. does really nice work. They refurbed our engine 14 years ago and it came out pretty nice. Another probably less pricey option is to have a local body repair shop handle the paint & bodywork. A local mechanic who has experience in older ignition systems would be able to handle any drivetrain issues. One of our members bought back our 1950 Mack and he was able to get alot of the work done locally at reasonable rates. The only major problem you may run into is replacement parts for the pump gear. There is a company not far from us that had a hard time getting a replacement for a transfer case in a tower that wasn't even 20 years old. Perhaps if you contact your local SPAAMFAA group they could assist you with parts or advice.

Forum Member

PL Custom Body has done some refurbs. They are in Manasquan. They are also a Ford dealer so parts should not be a problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default refurb

You might want to try Lees Fire Apparatus right around the corner in tuckerton. The do all kind of refurbs from repairing newer stuff to doing ANTIQUE RESTORATIONS. We had a job done by them about 7 to 8 years ago repairing rust and such on an 1985 Hahn. still holding up well. If you need more info e-mail me or put a post here and I will get back to you

Thread Information