Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: videos

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

Default videos

we just bought so FF 1 and 2 videos and after watching a few of them, we have decided that they are terrible. you would think that paying 4500 bucks for 35 videos we would get something that is worth it, but each DVD is only 10-15 min long. the content is only so so. it just gives you a summery of what ever topic that DVD is about.

does anyone know of any good video series out there? we want to get something to update our video libary. we have some extra trainning money and we needed to spend it. any success stories and or helpful info would be great.

NO ADS PLEASE. PLEASE DONT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A ADVERTISMENT.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am no expert in the subject, but I have liked the "bread and butter" series. Don't know who makes it or anything else.

Eric

The solution to your problem is simple: Don't buy videos.

Seriously. I think there is a law out there somewhere that prohibits educational videos from being entertaining. Now, granted, there is the rare exception to this rule. However, 99.5% of the videos I've seen in the fire service were enough to lull a meth addict to sleep.

Identify some of the imporant subjects in FFI & FFII that you want to teach and practice. Use your money to purchase/construct training aids to help teach those topics. Your guys will appreciate you for getting them out and doing hands-on training. Popping in a video and saying "watch this" is the wrong approach, I believe.

If it's for initial training, I would tend to agree with coz (although I believe we just got a bunch of IFSTA videos on not too long ago and haven't really watched them).

If you are looking for refresher training and such, I would suggest looking at the "Working Fire" Video series. We get a new one once a month. Don't get me wrong, some are boring, but you'll have that with any video. For the most part they cover new stuff every month and a good portion of it is actual footage, not staged stuff.

Plus there's always the opportunity for another College Credit from Kramer vs. Kramer

My dept subscribes to "Working Fire" as well. Some good videos to watch on incidents around the country. Suprsingly, for a rural area like here, there has been stories on neighboring depts featured in the series a few times.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

When i was taking my EMT-course(a little off subject) they had these videos that were filmed like the show COPS. A camera crew rode along with a unit and filmed everything, then at the end would point out mistakes and asked how would you do things diffently, and this lead to some good class discussions, too bad there is anything like that for fire. Although my FFI class had some videos, i dont think any were really designed specificaly for that class.

I don't know, a good video can be helpful. But not only a video. Take some classroom time, teach the subject, show a video example, then some hands on practicing. Even better, make your own videos of drills and use them for reference and refreshers.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

The Vincent Dunn Flashover and Backdraft videos are very good.

Another good thing that we have done is to find different structure fire photos from the internet, make a Powerpoint slide show with them and then discuss what tactics we would use and also what our initial size up & radio report would be.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by WTFD10
    The Vincent Dunn Flashover and Backdraft videos are very good.

Another good thing that we have done is to find different structure fire photos from the internet, make a Powerpoint slide show with them and then discuss what tactics we would use and also what our initial size up & radio report would be.
    Moe, how are the IFSTA videos you guys are watching in your class? I vaguely remember the one when I was there for your salvage class. I know they did the folds and deployments like 3 times each, but other than that I don't remember a whole lot.

MembersZone Subscriber

They pretty much suck.

Granted, alot of it has to do with the subject matter. How exciting can you make a salvage or sprinklers video?

The "fire control" video advocated fog streams for interior attack, which I personally think is nuts (see Fast Attack thread in the Fireground Tactics forum).
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Moe, how are the IFSTA videos you guys are watching in your class?
    Not Moe, but I'll give you my thoughts. They are pretty basic and kind of boring. I think they would be more benificial for a 36 hour class.

Moe do you agree?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by NFD159

Not Moe, but I'll give you my thoughts. They are pretty basic and kind of boring. I think they would be more benificial for a 36 hour class.

Moe do you agree?
    Yep

(We were replying at the same time looks like)
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Ahhh. So I guess they are pretty out-dated, huh? I think those are actually older videos that the Chief had copied from the neighboring FD to our north/northeast, that they use at their training center

And I guess I replied at the same time both oif you did....

MembersZone Subscriber

no offense to those who make the videos out there, but they all suck... all of us know that theres a book way and the real way things are done... the best videos i have seen to show how actual fire ground tactics are done is to buy videos of actual fires, i have 2 awesome videos from dc, fdny and ive learned more watching these videos than any stupid training book. (practice makes perfect, not watching tapes) best thing is to put the probes to work...

Thread Information