+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread: May FDNY class

MembersZone Subscriber

Default May FDNY class

Letters for the May class go out Monday May 3rd, good luck to everyone whos waiting by their windows looking for the mailman....

Just a bit of curiousity (spelling?) - Has anyone heard from the investigators if they'll definatly be in the May class??

Forum Member

No I have not heard anything from my investigator on the may class, probably because I am not that high on the list. However I am going in on may 12th for my psych exam! Anyone else here going on that day??
    Also, does anyone know if you fail the stair master do they still schedule you for the psych exam?? I passed but there were like 35 guys in my group that did not pass the stair master, I was wondering if they still got scheduled to take there psych exam???

MembersZone Subscriber

No, if you fail the stairmaster then you can't go on with the process. You do have a 2nd chance to pass it though. Good luck on the 12th

I have my medical Wednesday May 5th. Muttly, how much time do you have to rest in between the 3 mins and the 5 mins with the vest? Does it pay to get there early so I'll be one of the first one's to go?

Forum Member

First of all get there early for everthing! But it won't help you get through the medical process any faster... there is alot of paper work you do in the group. As for time in between the 3 minutes and five minutes they give you as much time as you want. Well reasonably anyway. Try not to look at the heart monitor on the stairmaster because it only makes your heart rate go up even more.

Question Why did I get my Psych?

Thats weird because I got scheduled for my psych on may 3rd but I still haven't went for my medical, anyone have any clue why?

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesnt surprise me that your taking the phsyc. before the medical, they have changed alot of the process for the new exam because they're rushing to establish the list..... I have heard before that some guys took the phsyc already and not the medical... Plus it takes a little while to get the results for the phsyc then it does for the medical. good luck anyways

Thanks Muttly! How do they determine if you pass on the stair master? Does your heart rate have to stay bellow a certin rate? If anyone took the medical before could you please describe the process in detail?

Thanks,

MembersZone Subscriber

220 minus your age x 0.9 = the highest your heart rate is allowed to go.

Example: A 40 y/o's Maximum heart rate would be:

220-40 = 180.

180 x 0.9 = 160 - So the 40 year olds highest heart rate would be 160.

Drink plenty of water or bring water w/ you - Dont look at the heart monitor it will only increase your heart rate (nervousness).

The rest of the medical is drug testing, hearing, sight,and the TB test. @ the end you meet with some doctor he signs off on you and then you do some facemask test, I never really understood what that was for. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

also a tip for those taking their medical...try to avoid caffeine and suger (soda-juice) that morning and if possible the few days prior, itll cause a spike in your heart rate...also, you can take the psych if you fail the medical, b/c i took the psych first, but i recieved both dates the same day so it shouldnt matter, and you get 3 tries to pass the medical, with a 30 day stint in between each try...its not to bad just make sure you prepare yourself (run run run!)...anyways, good luck to everyone hoping for may, hopefull well all see each other there

Hey fellas-

I want to get on just as bad as everyone else, but I kinda got some news that left an unsettling feeling in my stomach...=(
    I spoke with Investigation at Metrotech, and the guy who I spoke with told me that the May and September classes will barely use list 2043. Most of the class will still be from list 7029. I got my estimated list number, which he told me was in the mid 500's, and my score was 2 wrong written/100 physical/5 pts residency. In his words, I should be in the academy by the December class, or the latest by early 2005. I knew May was out of the question for me, but I was really hoping for September. I guess all good things come to those who wait. As with all NYC job info, things change in a heartbeat, so I'm just trying to share any info I come across. Either way, good luck to everyone, I mean it.
    If you would like to talk to someone in Investigation, call 718-999-2213...that was the # where I got my info. Give them your social security #...they can check the database and give you your estimated list number and class date.

DB
    "Luis, we miss and love you. Can't wait to see you again, my friend."

Luis Jimenez
    11/17/75 - 9/11/01

Get used to it, the investigators only tell you what you want to hear. THey build you up that you'll be in the next class then a week before letters go out- oh sorry we dont think we'll be reaching that number...

Forum Member

Hey proby2be thanks for the extra information eve if it is not the best news in the world... I was just wondering when did you go for your interview and med?

Did anyone put down any arrests on their application? I got arrested in college for getting into a fight at a bar and the case was dismissed, but I still put it down! I wonder if this will hurt me! I told one of the investigators about it and they told me that I had nothing to worry about.

Forum Member

ScsuFootball84
    nothing like a fight at the bar with the rest of the team..lol just have to get out quick enough so the cops don't show up..hahahaha

But Seriously you should be fine just like the investigator said. They don't have any reason to lie to you. Besides you are much better off telling them about it rather than them finding out on their own.

Default firefiftyfive

My interview was a little over 3 weeks ago, and my medical was on April 22nd. Everything went well, so now I'm just waiting to be scheduled for my psych.
    Boy do I wanna leave my current job...ASAP!!!!
    lol

DB

MembersZone Subscriber

haha, don't we all... Isnt it funny how much you cant stand going to work everyday because all you can think about is getting that letter in the mail telling you that your in the next class... Geeze....

MUTTLY92094-

you just described my life. That letter will free my soul....LOL

DB

Forum Member

Ditto proby2be, the only difference is that I just want to get out of school! Looks like me and you are pretty close to each other on the list.. I had my interview only like 2 weeks before you so we have to be somewhere within 100 spaces of each other!

I went for my interview on april 1st but I never got anything about my medical yet. I did however get a letter for my psych on april 21st, I am going for my psych on April 3rd (This Monday). I hope I didn't miss the letter for my medical!!!! I am also stuck in school and I can't stand it any more!

MembersZone Subscriber

whats goin on guys...i just have a question for you...you guys are saying you got letters for the psych but not the medical, did you guys recieve those letters in the mail or at your investigation? just curious b/c the day i had to hand in all my papers they gave me my date for the psych and the medical so i was just curious

Default Att: Muttly

Thanks for the great info bro! Just a couple of more questions. What is the exact order they do the Medical? Is it the stairmaster first then the rest or the other way around? Can you wear shorts or do you have to wear sweat pants? (I'm sure its pants) And is the weight vest 50lbs or is it the same weight vest that we used for the physical? I think that one was 25lbs. I'm just trying to get all the information so I get no surpises then I get there which will make me nervous. Thanks again and best of luck to you!

MembersZone Subscriber

The 1st thing you'll do is the paper work, make sure you write down all of the medication(if any) that your taking, even over the counter stuff. The last things you have eatten in the past few days shi* like that, then you'll be taken into the bathroom in a group for the urine test (drugs). After thats all done you'll get assigned by a fire officer which station to go to, you'll have a sheet with you with all the stations on it. I pretty sure there is no order. As far as the stairmaster goes, its the same vest as the one in the physical. I thought you had to wear long pants, but there were ALOT of guys/girls, there who had shorts on. So, I don't think it will matter.

Good luck bro!

Thanks for the info. I feel a little bit better now that its the same vest as the physical because I have been practicing with a 50lbs Vest. No SCBA Pack, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread Information