Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default any female firefighters having problems?

I was wondering what problems female firefighters face here in Canada.
    Sleeping arrangments to pregnancies...

I'm a volunteer and new to firefighting. I've experienced a bit of feather ruffling...

but so far it has been a good experience!

Prior to having the gals dorms they use to use curtains around the bunk that the gals were sleeping in. Right now there is only one firehall in my department that doesn't have a girls dorm. Usually the gals don't get transferred there. Wouldn't bother me though, I am there to do my job. I would probably ask the guys there if they minded me working there and if they did they could find someone else to transfer there.

As for pregnancies...usually you can work up to the point where it is physically impractible or your doctor suggests you should go to another area of the dept. Our dept accommodates gals on the floor and places them in community relations or somewhere until they are ready to go off on mat leave.

Things are pretty good here, I have no real complaints. Welcome to the Fire Service Sister.

Cheers
    red

No girls dorms or curtains here for the ladies. To be honest, why should there be? The men don't have a separate dorm, or curtains
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

I hear you Smoke20286 but when you have someone complain about gals being in the mens dorm ..... you have to change. It isn't like I haven't seen a man in his undies before and visa versa. I thought it was kinda odd myself when I first started. But hey what can you do, at least I sleep better cause I don't have to listen to all the guys snore

Cheers,
    Red

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

I have had very few problems but then again, I'm a VFF. The DC is my husband and I get to listen to him snore but that is as dorm-like as it gets in my world........
    My biggest problem is getting TO gear that remotely fits. "A small dept doesn't have a big budget to spend on TO gear, especially if they will have trouble re-assigning the gear later on." said DC Zacharias. Who was looked firmly in the eyes and told "I have 3 years in already. What makes you think I'm gonna quit now?" (by yours truly) The subject has been temporarily dropped for the sake of maintaining friendly relations. (It will re-surface when the gear wears out and THEN, my friends, I will have a better bargaining stance).

Forum Member

The shift I work on right now has 4 females . So there is that issue going around right now about seperating everyone. The town is talking about building them there own dorm. But as of right now we ar all getting along well. We will see what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber SafetyLighting's Avatar

I think female firefighters are hot, and I will leave it at that, LOLOL. I don't think I need to give my thoughts on bunking situations.................... ...........

-John

Forum Member

Rookie, as far as the turn out situation gear goes you need only mention 5 words..........Occupational Health and Safety Association..........or maybe try these three....... Ministry of Labour..........

Being a volunteer organization does not release them from their obligation of ensuring your health and safety on the fire ground. The gear has to fit properly in order to protect you properly.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Tell your DC that if he wants gear thats not over priced and fits decently to look at a set of Chieftans for you, they come in small sizes and are as good as anything out there.
    Cost versus personal safety should not be an issue...or he could have to explain to the insurance investigators when they come asking "why so and so wasnt issued proper fitting gear" after they sustain an injury do to penny pinching...Im fairly certain he will opt to go splurge on a set of proper turnouts for you, given his choice of those two options.

Igni Obstare!

Originally posted by fieryred943
    at least I sleep better cause I don't have to listen to all the guys snore

Cheers,
    Red
    Hey! I resemble that remark
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

In your Nation's Capital (Ottawa, of course) all FF's bunk in the same dorms. So far no serious problems. Interestingly any of the initial complaints about females in the dorms were from male FF's wives.

In stations without separate bathroom & shower facilities a simple slide bolt on the door solved the problem.

Pregnancies have not been an issue as of yet, 3 of the ladies were already mums when hired. Policy is work on the line until you & your doctor decide to go light duty, then maternity leave until you come back (Paternity leave available for dads too)

Rumour has it that the next recruit class hired in a few weeks will have all 16 females from the hiring list in it. Seems a local politician inquired as to why there were so few female firefighters...

Improper fitting PPE and Safety gear is a very serious issue. In Ontario the employer must provide proper PPE for the employee, that means gear that meets the standards and fits properly. I suspect every other province has similar Health & Safety legislation on the books. Volunteer or full-time it makes no difference, you have to be properly outfitted. When all else fails, follow LadyCapn's suggestions.

As for snoring...sometimes rank does have it's privileges...

Oops, almost forgot, The US Fire Administration has a couple of good publications on & for females in the fire service Publication FA-195: Many Women Strong, A Handbook for Women Firefighters and FA-196: Many Faces, One Purpose: A Manager's Handbook on Women in Firefighting. Should be able to find them at this link:
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/application...&sp=&sr=6&rp=5
    Last edited by CANFF2706; 05-11-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Wink

im not a f.f.f but i wanted to mention i think its awesome that females are joining the dept. my b.f. is a f.f out here in canada and his dept. had 3 1 left to be a doctor, 1 was pregnant and the other she is still there shes nozzle and i have met her and she is so sweet and works really hard... so i just wanted to say u guys rock i would love to apply but im too scared and my beau said i would hvae to physically train hard to get in the dept. is that true or is he being a brat???

Thread Information