MembersZone Subscriber

Default Recue Divers Need assistance.

I was wodering if you guys have any input, suggestions, resources for a recue dive team desperatly in need of funding/equipment. The dive team in our county has been living on peanuts for decades (as have we all). It has come to the critical point.

Their current diving rigs are all 20+ years old and they have been informed by the dive shop that helps them out with maintenance that their systems are so obsolete that they are beyond repair. The dive shop instructor also urged them to NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the gear in open water at depths greater then you can stand up in. That is not a good situation by any measure.

They have estimated they need to raise about 10,000 to replace the minimum about of dive gear to remain a viable dive rescue team. This may not sound like much to most people, but this is a major amount given their budget and the current situation in our rural community.

This is also the only dive team for 200 miles in all 4 directions. They get a significant amount of use, but the way things stand right now...

So, what I am asking is for information. Anything you can think of that might help out. This is not exactly my area of expertise, and I am sure some of you are the same, but I know that there are a lot of good minds on this forum so I figured I would give it a try.

Thank you very much.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

all 20+ years old
    Have they been trying to raise money all along? Replacing all sets at once is a large cost, doing 1 every other year would be a little more realistic.

I think it's time they hit up all the departments in the areas they assist with and get what they can out of them. Do they get any kind of funding from anyone? Get some budgeting in place and show what's coming in, how it's too little, and some future planning in place. Then hit up whatever businesses, FD's, Police, county, churches, etc. they can find.

Good Luck, sounds like they are in an uphill battle.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

They have a number of fundraisers each year. That is what covers basic costs their gas and oil. There is enough left over for maybe a wet suite and a mask per year. They are a sub entity of the Sheriffs office, which is down to only 2 officers, the sheriff and his undersheriff. They have asked the county for another officer and more funding, but they have been denied oh...about 10+ years and running. They only have to cover 1680 square miles 24/7 between the 2 of them...

The dive team and the SO reserve officers are all voly.

So, the Dive team gets very little from the SO. Enough for flashlight batteries and such, maybe some basic repairs. But, the SO cant start buying dive gear, that is way out of their budget. I did a ODP grant for the SO for coms gear, those damn P25 radios. But, it is very hard to get OPD/Terrorism money for a S&R Dive Team, and IMO it is not intended for that anyway. I wouldnt apply for terrorism money, I think we have way bigger terrorism problems pressing on the Nation as a whole.

We have already hit up the VFDs, all 2 of them in the county. The one I am on is going to donate their old cascade system which was replaced by the AFG in 03. The other one gave them some bendix king radios. Strangly enough we dont have any spare dive gear laying around, we already gave that to them. The VFD I am on used to have the Dive Team years ago and gave the current dive team their current gear, also years ago.

They also get small donations from the region. They recovered a teenage boys body and that family gave them 500$, but otherwise they are very limited.

Their vehicle is an old ambulance donated by the county ambulance crew, who also gives them a corner of their ambulance barn.

Yes, this is a major uphill battle. It is not like they have been sitting around watching the paint dry, they have been fundraising. But they havent been able to keep up with the wheels of time.

Right now the only dive set that they have which is safely useable is 1 owned personaly by one of the members, and sending 1 diver out alone is out of the question.

This is going to be a major challenge.

Thanks for the input.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

We replaced several sets of our dive year and bought some new equipment through a grant through the budget digest of the state. I dont know if your state has any type of budget digest system in place. With the situation you have mentioned i think someone in your state government could help you out. CF

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Aqua Lung equpiment. They are real good about giving fire departments discounts and whatnot. And while I preach whole heartedly against buying what I consider life support equipment (regs, BCD, etc) off of the internet you may not have too much choice in the matter. Try Ebay or some of the internet dive stores for used gear, you wont be uniform but at least you will be a bit safer.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help guys. I think I may have found a funding source, some private sector grants and such.

Again,a thanks for the input.

Forum Member

I am not involved in the dive/rescue team in our area but I do know a bit about a few things they do for funding. They have made working agreements between a couple of power companies and a natural gas company that have lines that cross Devils Lake. These companies help fund new equipment for the team. In return the team has to help them with repair issues that come up under water. They also have a yearly magic show that brings them in good funding. If you need more info I can give you names of guys on this team. My e-mail is toddman@goNDTC.com They also run a really neet "fleet" of Newfoundland (big black ones) search and rescue dogs.

Thread Information