Forum Member

Default Any one work for Portland??

I was wondering if anyone working for PFD could give me some recomendations that would help me get a job there. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

get as much 911 EMS experience you can. You should go to Northeast when you hit 21. I know it is the Evil Empire but they do get some 911 work in the Portland area. You will learn a lot from anything EMS you do. Obviously get as Fire as you can too. Are you going to SMCC for either your Fire Science or your Paramedic. If so then look into the live in programs. They are a great growth experience and a fabulous resume builder. If you are not enrolled in SMCC for both DO SO ASAP. There is a lot of competition out there. There are also some other very good medic programs in New England. Let me know what your plan is and where you are now.
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Forum Member

I am planning to take Fire science then paramedicine at SMCC starting in the fall of 2005. I'm enrolled in a Firefighter I class right now. After i complete that class, i will be starting EMT-B. I eventualy will also take Firefighter II.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default School

Hello,

If you are going ot SMTC for Fire Science and Paramedic, might I suggest that you look at EKU ( Eastern Kentucky University) They have not only a 2 yrs FIre and Safety Degree / a 2yr Paramedic degree but both have 4 yrs degrees too. It will cost you the same to attend there then SMTC. I started Fighting Fires in Buxton Maine and have just finished my 4 yrs are EKU. The trianing you recieve at EKU is some of the best.

Just a thought.:

If you want you can look at the University by going to this link.

www.FireandSafety.eku.edu

DM

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by leylandauto View Post
    get as much 911 EMS experience you can. You should go to Northeast when you hit 21. I know it is the Evil Empire but they do get some 911 work in the Portland area. You will learn a lot from anything EMS you do. Obviously get as Fire as you can too. Are you going to SMCC for either your Fire Science or your Paramedic. If so then look into the live in programs. They are a great growth experience and a fabulous resume builder. If you are not enrolled in SMCC for both DO SO ASAP. There is a lot of competition out there. There are also some other very good medic programs in New England. Let me know what your plan is and where you are now.
    Hahahah!!!! This made me laugh...Northeast for 911 experience?? WTF??? They only do 911 in their Topsham division for a couple small towns. No 911 in the Portland area, that's all FDs. Nope, Northeast is transfer central. You will however learn a lot about dialysis, MRSA, hospitals, and what not to do.

This Maine section of the forum seems pretty dead....

MembersZone Subscriber

The Maine section is pretty slow, More traffic at the Maine Yahoo fire/ems group. I realize that NE does not do do much of any emergency work (you are right about Topsham but they do get some unstable runs out of some of the local SNFs they have contracts with). Unless he lives in a small town with volunteer places then he has to get his experience somewhere. NE was better than working at Home Depot. If you do any precepting, you know the lack of basic EMS experience is the biggest problem by far when evaluating students. PFD is going to send you to thier own alarm school but having your Medic ticket is pretty much an immediate hire there (look at the last hiring). As an aside, it has been three years since he posted this request. I wonder if he is a proby now :-)

Note, in the two years since the post was done there are many more perdiem slots out there in York and Cumberland cty.
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem is that NE will ruin people if they don't have a good background so that they know right from wrong. I suppose if that is the case then it's not as bad. Yeah, Medic is the track for Portland, too bad they don't pay well to start. Plus I'd never want to be stuck on a Medcu unit for 4 years+...SOmeone told me they'd heard that Portland had a hiring freeze after this last hiring.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the URL for that yahoo group?

Thread Information