MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Very Very new to all this

Hey everyone,
    I am a 31 year old Student that is about to graduate as a Microsoft Network Engineer. The funny thing is now I want to get in to the fire fighter field. I was in the Army for almost ten years and I miss the challenges that I had everyday and I think that this is what I need to do instead of working with computers.

After reading some threads on here I have learned a lot but, I do have a few questions on where I should start. Just a side note here I was also NBC and Hazmat qualified in the Army and would like to get in to the Hazmat side of things. Can you be a fire fighter and Hazmat qualified and not have your EMT? If so would that hurt your career later on? If there is any advice that you may have on what I need to do to accomplish this goal please feel free to write me.

Thank you,
    Smalls
    Last edited by Smalls; 04-30-2004 at 05:16 PM.

Forum Member

Hello and welcome to the Firehouse Forums.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Welcome to our Humble Abode...I'm sure you'll love it as much as we do..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Welcome. We are all here for the good of the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cant resist...

You're Killin' me Smalls !

seriously however, I too am in my early 30's and realizing what I would like to do. The large city I live in wont hire anyone over 30 , but there are smaller departments around. The larger departments have a better chance of having a Haz-Mat specific response team, but I imagine any department would welcome your experience, and you can always obtain your EMT within a few months (or quicker).

What ever you decide , good luck and Welcome !

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you all for the greet welcome and information. I am going to like it here.
    Last edited by Smalls; 06-04-2004 at 12:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome to the forums glad you are with us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Aloha everyone
    Thanks for the information and warm welcome....here is where I am right now with all of this

1. I live at the gym I did get the Firefighter's workout book a few weeks ago and I also have the body for life book. I am trying to combine the both together. I have looked at the CPAT test and I know what might be expected of me. They are having a test here June 21st which would be great to attend but, I do not feel that I am ready at this point. But I think I will try it anyway. The first day is a written test the second a agility test. I am not where I want to be physicaly right now. I am 5'4" on a good day and my weight since I have been working out so much goes from 107-111. I can not gain weight for anything and it gets aggrevating. I am trying to get as strong as I can but, it is going to take more time. I have not been able to study for the written part to much because I am going to school full time right now and working full time and this semester is killing me with peojects and homework. So this is why I am not prepared for the written part yet. I would love to do this next month it is a great chance to get on the department since they will pay your way for the Fire Academy if you pass.

2. I am trying to find a Pro CPR class but it looks like the earilest is July and the Red cross and local hospital is Aug and Sep.

3. My local fire department might have training in a few months my name is on the list already

4. I am waiting to take an entrance exam for the local college here but that will not be till July since they are so booked. I plan on going to the EMT-b course in the fall if I can get my CPR and entrance test done in time before the class fills up. I have to be excepted to the program so please cross your fingers I will have the time to get it in.

Please don't take anything that I said as harsh I am a lil frustrated because I just want to get in to the program and I keep getting held up. I do have a question for you. I have three choices here the first go take that test in a few weeks and hope I pass and then the department sends me to the fire academy and when graduated I am then placed in a department. 2. Go to the EMT course in the fall then go to the fire academy and then Apply or volunteer. 3. Go to the fire academy then volunteer and go to school for EMT-b. Which one do you think would be the smartest way to go? Help Please!!

One last thing. Our departments have EMS working with them not in house medics. I really want to do the firefighting and Hazmat side of things not as much the medic but, I know that I have to have my EMT-b and will get it. In florida it states you can get hired but you have to have the EMT-b by a year at least that is what I was told. I was Hazmat qualified when I was in the Army and loved it so that would be something that I will be trying to get in to. Not that I don't want to do the Medical I think that would be just as rewarding.

Well I have written a book so I am going ot cut this off thank you for your help and have a great one.

Forum Member

Welcome! Fairly new myself. Been enjoying the reading and conversing. I Work odd shifts and can't get here on a regular basis, so I miss alot. As far as your last post, personally I would want to get on before starting everything else...nice to get paid.....Although, having the knowledge before could be a bonus in selections.(depending on hiring policies, habits of local Dept.) Man, these things are those that you must do some major internal circulating cranial greymatter intensificational modulating continued thought processes. But seriously, there is too much "unknown" for someone else other than yourself to be able to make a justifiable comment. Good luck in your endeavors!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Thread Information