MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Las Vegas/Clark County

My husband is trying to get on either the Clark County Fire through an open hire for fire/medics OR with Las Vegas Fire through a general hire that he has made it through to the interview process.

He has 13 years on the dept he is with now. We know...why would he want to do this?? There are too many to list. A great deal more pros to the situation than cons! Anyway, we are just getting frustrated.

Let's start with Clark County. I can't even remember, but I think it started back in Oct or Nov with turning in his application. They were doing a lateral class and with all of his experience he scored 100/100 points to take him to the next level. In Feb (I think), he went out to take the physical agility test and interview the next day. He passed the physical agility and did well (his opinion) in the interview. That is the last we have heard anything. We do know that only 30-40 made it to the interview and they are hiring around 10. We know someone on the dept that has told us they are looking to start this class in Aug-Sept. I just can't believe that we haven't heard a thing from anyone. Then, you aren't even allowed to contact the fire dept. to find anything out. HR dept says it's in the fire dept hands right now. The liason between the two is the one that says Aug or Sept.

Las Vegas info...took the written and thanks to the Don McNea (?) study guides (highly recommend)scored extremely well! He passed the physical agility AND did well in the interview. We also know someone on that dept who can't seem to find out anything about when the next class. Also, there are a lot more guys (and gals) that he is competing with for LVFD.

Sorry it is so long. We are just frustrated and seems like our life is on hold. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting. I am currently also waiting to hear from Clark County. I took the CPAT in Feb. and had my oral interview the next day. I also have heard nothing and have tried contacting HR and FD. They have said the same thing that you have already pointed out.

I did not test for Las Vegas.

Now for the rumors. Las Vegas is pretty fully staffed right now and probably will not hire many from this list. North Las Vegas on the other hand needs more FF's and will be hiring quite a few off this list. They just opened a station where Las Vegas has none on the drawing board currently (Remember, just rumors).

It sounds like Clark County is waiting to finalize their budget before they decide how many to hire. Their fiscal year starts on July 1 so the new budget should be coming soon. I have heard that they may need a lot of ff's depending on how many stations they need to open. They have 3 stations pending to open this year according to their web site. It takes 54 ff's to staff 3 stations if you have an engine and rescue in each one. I heard less than 60 are on the current "list". They have an academy going right now which will graduate towards the middle of June. I heard the next academy would probably start by the end of summer. It sounds to me like Clark County needs more than 10 ff's. I know certain days they are calling back 30 or more ff's, medics, etc. to cover vacant spots during shifts. This leads me to believe they need manpower. Of course, this is just my speculation (wishful thinking, perhaps). I've heard they may start the next academy with 25 ff's and possibly another with 25 more. Again, just rumors.

Out of curiousity, where did you hear they needed 10 ff's.

Anyway, I hate this waiting game, too but my reasoning is this. I feel dumb calling them asking them what the status is. I've done it once already. But I want to make sure they didn't send something in the mail and I didn't receive it. It's rare but things do happen to the US mail. I know I will hear something eventually, but I'm afraid I might be missing mail after this long. It seems odd to me that they would wait this long (almost 2 1/2 mos. now) to send any info whatsoever but it's their right to handle it how they please.

Check back on this board. I will post something if I hear anything. And you can post, too. That way people will know when letters have finally been sent.

PS. Did your husband test for Henderson FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default answers to rumors

to answer a couple of your questions about where we heard of hiring ten... we have a friend that is a firefighter for CCFD. He said that there is a class in right now of 20-25 firefighters (although they are to graduate end of May). After that class they are "supposed" to hire from the lateral list (I am assuming that is the one you are on). Our friend said, just from the rumor mill, that he heard they are hiring 10-15 medics from that list. I am not sure about firefighters. If they hire the medics first, we heard they wouldn't be put through the entire 20 week training (just 14 weeks, because they are already medics). I told my husband that I figured we were not the only ones calling HR or the fire dept after this long of not hearing anything! They have to be swamped! Personally, I hope that you are right on the number they are planning on hiring. It makes sense that they are waiting for the new budget! I know that our friend knows a ff that gets callbacks almost every day that he is off. My husband tested for Henderson last year, but was not successful. He wasn't about to try it again. About Vegas, the FFs are getting a huge amount of overtime there too! I just wish we could find out something!! Anyway, thanks for your response. I will keep the board posted if we receive a letter. Sooner would be better!
    Last edited by grank57; 04-30-2004 at 11:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question new rumors

Scrapper,
    My husband called out to human resources today and was told this info by the supervisor. Remember, this is ALL rumors, but it seems more reliable than anything else we have heard. She has spoken to the deputy chief of operations for the dept. He told her that the next class would be off the paramedic list (still a ff list out there that doesn't expire for 8 months). He also said that the class was starting in JUNE!!! She said that letters go out 4-6 weeks before the class would start, which means something might be in the mail next week??? I don't know...my husband and I are going crazy with rumors that don't pan out. She said there were 75 on the list, but that was it. I will let you know if we hear anything else and I hope you do the same!

Forum Member

Well here's what I know or have read or heard. It looks like the initial budget proposals go to the county commission this Monday (5-17-04) for approval. It looks like they are going to ask for 20 new firefighter positions. So I imagine they will need to hire those 20 plus retirements minus the people in the academy already. Plus the fact that they are already short I believe. The request for 20 FF's comes right from a news article in the LV Review-Journal posted today. In the same article it says they are laying off 20 middle managers in the county which is bad news. The article says one reason they need to lay off is to hire for critical positions (i.e. fire department). Bad news for management, good news for prospective ff's.

I will see what I can find out from my "sources". Anyway, if you live in or near Las Vegas, then you probably already know about everything I mentioned above.

I'm confident I will hear something, ANYTHING eventually. Hopefully you are right about what you said.

I'll keep in touch.

Permanently Removed

Default Hey...

I used to be a paid FF in the area. (miss it) But
    I can tell you that the CCFD is a weird beast when
    it comes to testing and hiring. (as you know)

Anyways- Please keep an eye on the Clark County
    website- www.co.clark.nv.us They just hired from
    the outside for FIRE TRAINING INSTRUCTOR. I was
    going to go for it except I dont want a 40 hour
    work week and instruct all of the time. Plus,
    you cant move over to the fire side. Like I
    said, weird.

Anyways, good luck and just stand by. Henderson
    just accepted apps too.

Hopw to hear back...Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Reconfirmed rumors

Well, spoke with our "source" last night and while he was on duty, his captain (in charge of training) called the deputy chief and was told that a class would be starting in July of medics. They are running 6-7 mandatory callbacks each shift just for medics right now! He said it's crazy! He said people should expect a letter or phone call to come out for the next step in the next couple weeks. We also heard that 2 weeks prior to class starting those that get letters would have to come out for the physical, etc. It would also be a shortened class due to the fact that everyone is already medics. That's the latest we heard...VERY reliable, but still rumors!

Forum Member

Just heard that they are making phone calls for conditional job offers yesterday and today (5/24-5/25). Background, psych test, etc. the week of June 7th. I haven't gotten a call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry you're right!

my husband just got off the phone with CCFD (Jerry Keitering??) and was told that there were 24 people on the list and he wasn't one of them!! I need to really vent!!! How, with 13 years experience, 100 points, and a passed physical agility test, can you not be in the first 24??? I am floored!! He said that it is possible that someone on that list of 24 could turn them down and that there was possibly going to be another class by the end of the year...but it still makes no sense!!! Then we're wondering if it's his age, even though there's no age limit. Well, I hope you got a phone call! Let us know!

Forum Member

Did your husband call CCFD or did they call him. I haven't received anything yet. I did call and the person who answered wouldn't forward me to Jerry. She said if I didn't get a phone call then I would get something in the mail. I assume I didn't make the cut but I still haven't heard a single thing either way.

I'm sorry to hear your husband didn't make the first cut. The initial rumors I heard way back when were they were going to have two classes off this list. So there may still be a shot later on.

I can't really explain how they chose who they chose. They must have went off the interview which in my opinion was short and sweet. I think it would be hard to choose firefighters based on that interview but they can chose whoever they want, however they want. I would hope they didn't chose based on age. If they did, they certainly wouldn't admit it. But I would think a FD like CCFD would steer clear from potential controversy like that.

I'll let you know if and when I hear something. Meanwhile, I just keep plugging away in my current job/life which suits me just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You're right!

I am sorry for venting the other day! My husband and I just would like to know why. When he told me about the interview, short and sweet was a description from him too. But, from his responses, it sounded like it went well. Anyway, I guess they were just in the mood the other day to send us to Jerry. He also said about the other class by the end of the year! So, it's not over yet! Maybe you and my husband will get lucky this next go around! also, he said that with as long as it took, that there might be some that back out or have other jobs already! Who knows! We are very lucky to have great jobs where we live too, just got excited for the possibilities out there! Thanks for your insight! Keep us posted.
    Julie

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy answers

my husband called and talked to Jerry K. today and was told that all 24 have accepted the positions. Also, my husband asked him what could have held him back from the first group and Jerry said that the first 24 scored an "Outstanding" on their interviews and he scored "Above Average/Average" on his responses. I have no idea! Like you said, a very short and sweet interview decided who they were going to hire. Oh well...heard from Vegas today and he should get a letter one way or another by the end of the month.

Forum Member

Well hopefully things will work out. I still haven't heard a single thing. No letter in the mail. I can't get past the secretary at CCFD. I have zero information from them. So I appreciate you keeping me informed. It sure would be nice to just know for sure. This is week 14 of the wait. But who's counting.

Permanently Removed

Default Just in case...

Sorry to hear about the "Above average/Average" scoring.
    I can tell your husband went in there "full hearted."

Please check out this website BEFORE the next interview-

www.eatstress.com

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Default interview

Bou,
    I have read a few things from Capt Bob since his interview that make me wish we would have paid attention to it earlier on. I guess we just thought with his experience that he did fine. I think the problem was that he gave "textbook answers", probably not many "nuggets" as Capt Bob would say. I just wish they wouldn't have hired solely based on a 15 minute interview. Anyway, thanks for your advice. Although, Vegas FD was probably the last interview he will be involved in. If it doesn't happen for Vegas FD by the end of the month, we will stay here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CCFD/LVFD

Ive been waiting to hear info on CCFD as well...I took the CPAT and interview in Feb. I still havent heard anything and couldnt get a straight forward answer from HR or the FD seceratary.
    As for the city of Las Vegas, I got a condtional offer of employment this week (6/15). I am due in LV for a written and oral suitability assessment test as well as a background interview. Depending on how those go...physical/medical tests, drug testing and fingerprinting are the last step (so the letter from HR says).
    I was given the numbers of about 140 people were given conditional offers of employment. This is down from about 2300 people taking the written test. They are looking to hire 13 - 19 people for an October academy start. This isnt set in stone, but Id say its good n reliable info.

I will have to try and call CC and see if I can dig up any info.
    I also have a couple contacts in LV either in the FDs or that has good contacts within the depts.
    I will let you know if I come up with anything.

BJK

Forum Member

Let us know. I haven't heard anything either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking update

Still haven't heard anything from CCFD. Don't expect it. My husband did get a letter of conditional employment from LVFD too!! It is quite a roller coaster! He is to go out July 19, 20 for the next steps. We have a really good source with LVFD, but just haven't been able to get in contact with him recently. October class sounds interesting. I was hoping for higher numbers in the class, but if it's meant to be, it won't matter that there is a 14% chance that he will be one of the 20 or so. Thanks for the update.

Thread Information