Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Phoenix Fire Department Test

Just wondering what everyone else thought of the written test? I thought it was challenging at times with the reading comprehension and the study guide questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi,

I agree with you about the reading comp questions but I found the math to be my stuggle Though. I am terrible at math. Good luck in the process.

Cole

Forum Member

Default Reading comprehension and math?

Reading comprehension and math? There is a wealth of testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting. Here is a segment from the Reading Comprehension article:

BRENT COLLINS
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

When you are reading a short passage for the first time, read it carefully. A short passage is one that is only seven or eight lines long. You can retain all of the main ideas and remember where particular things are mentioned from one careful reading. Hence, you do not want to waste time reading this passage twice.

Besides wasting time, another bad consequence of reading a short passage very carelessly the first time is that it may leave you with some false impressions of what you have read. Wrong ideas can get stuck in your head from a careless reading. Then it will be more difficult to get the correct answer.

You can read the entire article in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...80&sectionId=8

For math, you only need to know about twelve formulas. Those formulas are in the Firefighter Entrance Hand Book here: http://www.firecareers.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=434
    Once you have the formulas down, you just plug in the numbers or convert the word math problems into the formula and you can't be fooled.

“Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought this was the easiest test Phx has given in the last few years.
    70% of the questions were from the study guide, They GAVE these to you.
    The reading comp and math were average for a fire test.
    Phx gives you all the formulas you need to figure out the math problems, all you really have to do is plug in the numbers and do basic math.

Good Luck to everyone that tested,
    Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

I would agree with the last poster, I felt this was the easiest test PFD has given in a few years. I,like others,had problems with the math.. guess it is an area I need to work on. Anyone here taking the Glendale test?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm taking the test for Glendale. Are you? Any advice? This is only my second time testing for a big city department. Any advice would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Glendale is a big city by definition. However the Glendale Fire Department is very different than the Phoenix Fire Dept. Right now Glendale currently has 8 stations and 9 Paramedic Engine companies and one Ladder company. Glendale is a very close knit family oriented department(ie,everybody knows each other). As I have been told by various FFs in Glendale,they are not hiring firefighters.. they are hiring good people. They will provide the training necessary to become a firefighter. They are also big on knowing things about the city of Glendale in general. Know the mission statement of the Glendale Fire Dept also. Hope this info helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Test Results

Has anyone gotten their written test scores yet?

Question

Has anyone received their test scores yet? Monday will be 6 weeks.

Angry

In case anyone else is curious, I called the city of Phoenix today and was told the test results would not be mailed until next week. So much for 4-6 weeks. Typical government operation. Think about thousands of people checking the mail everyday, and how many lives are on hold waiting for the letter. They should have told us 12-15 weeks, at least the anticipation level would be easier to handle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default time is slower

My husband went out to Nevada 16-18 weeks ago to interview for Clark County Fire and was originally told 4-6 weeks too. So far, no official letter or anything! Two weeks ago he called and found out he is not on the first list of 24 (that's another story), but nothing official has come in the mail. Vegas Fire is supposed to be sending out something by the end of the month, we'll see if they are any quicker. We have come to realize that time out there just goes slower. 4-6 weeks...16-18 weeks...they don't care, no one's life is on hold at all! Good luck!

Smile

The results have finally been mailed. Go check your mailbox if you have not already today (Saturday). The good news is I passed. I was really hoping they would give an indication of what my score was. Oh well, the main goal now is to pass the physical. Good luck to everyone else.

Thumbs up

I got the exact same test as last year. If you know the study guide like the back of your hand you will always do well on the written with phoenix. The reading comp. take a little more time. The math are a little difficult. This time when I got my letter for the cpat I was surprised to see as well no score shown for the written. Something different for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will not get your test score until you have passed the cpat. Once you passs the cpat they mail you a letter that says you have passed the the first 2 parts and if you have any preference points they are added for your total score and you are placed on the list for your interview.

hope this helps.

Default PFD Study Guide

If anyone has the most recent copy of this I would greatly appreciate a copy.

You can email to andrewkreul@gmail.com

Thank you so much in advance.

Thread Information