Forum Member

Default F-550 V-10 Rescue alternator

Our department just ordered a new Ford F-550 4x4 V-10 auto. Were going to upfit a Warner utility body (with all ROM roll up doors) for use as a light rescue rig. It will haul medical supplies/defib as well as our Lukas tools for extrication scenes.

I know the whole deal regarding diesel versus gas in a fire apparatus. I own a diesel Dodge 2500 and love diesel trucks. But I know the gas V-10 will perform perfectly for us as a light rescue. Plus it saved $6000 overall. We had a tight budget to replace our 22 year old F-350. It has over 100,000 miles on a 351W V-8 gasser. The V-10 will be light years ahead of the old one.

Anyway...the only electrical load besides the base chassis requirements to run will be the warning lights and two mobile radios. Of course there will be a few dome lights in the box but basically just warning lights. Were going to keep it simple yet safe and hopefully go with LED. Otherwise it will be Tomar Strobe units.

The factory alternator is something like 115 Amp. Plus thats on a good day at proper high rpm and specific temps. Were going to install a second battery master switched for the warning/communication system. I will never feel secure using the single factory alternator. What choices do I have in aftermarket alternators to replace the single factory unit? Any bolt ins that will not harm the Ford electronics? I'm not sure on this part. Sort of but not exactly. I do know the dual setup was not available w/o the ambulance prep package. Also we don't plan on high idleing on scenes with this one. Thanks!

Neil Costello
    Asst Chief
    Fairview Park VFD
    Clinton IN

Forum Member

Why not use the dual alternator option that is part of the ambulance prep package even if you are not using it for one?
    Last edited by ChiefDog; 05-01-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

Hopefully you won't have the same problems we did. 2003 F-550 on it's 7th or 8th alterntor now.

Forum Member

Kinda solved the problem already. Met up with Van's Electrical (an Indy based shop) at FDIC on Saturday. They had a booth and they are going to help me. To them it was no problem. They've got some Leece-Neville 200 or 250 amp units that are direct bolt ons. They are going to install a dual battery setup with isolators, switches, etc as well as the heavy duty alternator. Guess that was simple enough. Of course I'm sure it will cost but it will be well worth it in the long run.

The ambulance prep package is only available on trucks equipped with the Powerstroke diesel engine. We opted for the V10 so we couldn't get the package. Nor could we get the high idle controller. We really don't need high idle for a parked rescue as long as our alternator of choice puts out good amps at idle rpm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by fpvfd502
    They are going to install a dual battery setup with isolators, switches, etc as well as the heavy duty alternator. Guess that was simple enough. Of course I'm sure it will cost but it will be well worth it in the long run.
    Based on what you have said so far you seem to have done your homework very well. Job well done.

I'm sure you have done this already but I would get the exact cost of this work in writing and compare that to the up-charge for the Ford Diesel & Prep Pkg. (Also see if the Ford dealer is willing to do this in house and at what charge)

Speaking from experience - it is better to get as much done from the chassis mfg. than it is to have it done by the up-fitter(s)

I'll spare you the almost 2 page sob story I had written about our problems and leave you simply with the warning - the more people who bolt things onto your truck, then the more people there will be to blame someone else when it breaks / fails.

Good luck with your new rig. Hope you get many many years of good service from it.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Originally posted by NFD159
    Hopefully you won't have the same problems we did. 2003 F-550 on it's 7th or 8th alterntor now.
    Number 8..........

Forum Member

I don't like to admit but we've been lucky in regard to batteries and alternators. Our 82 F-350 averages a battery every three years. Thats a single setup with a single 130 amp Ford Alternator. We always used Napa batteries in the squad.

When I did a mild in house refurb on a used Indianapolis E-One Ford C-8000 pumper, I got fairly familiar with charging sytems and mutiple battery setups. I completely rewired the used pumper and changed some things for the better. Since then...our last set of batteries lasted from Winter 1997 until Winter 2003. Not bad. Finally one was not passing the electrolyte spectro test so I ditched them for new ones. The Kussmaul auto charger is probably key to their health. That and keeping the lights under control along with a good 150 amp Leece Neville.

Our 2000 KME Excell Chassis uses 5 Group 31's. I went ahead and replaced them after two years with no questions asked. Electronic engines demand good power. I did notice the ISC330 Cummins starts slightly faster with the new batteries. Not in terms of cranking speed but computer "recognition time" of rotation. Changing 5 batteries out isn't too much fun but I felt better once done. Its running a 275 amp Leece Neville I believe.

The squad is something special. I doubt our Ford dealership will mess with dual batteries. They won't object...but won't put them in. I think Van's Electric will do a great job as they have been in business for some time and have alot of experience. At the same time Ford will also not kill us in terms of warranty for our needs either. They knew up front what we had in mind. Plus...he likes those complimentary tickets to our bi-annual chicken BBQ. They come from miles around for that!
    Assistant Chief

Thread Information