Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well, sorry to disappoint you 14.

I had considered bringing up the accidents All-Steer has caused, and I was tempted to mention the info we got about the largest FD in our area locking out their All-Steers and seriously considering buying new axles for all their trucks only to find that there is not enough room to put dual rear tires into the body of an All-Steer and how badly it eats tires when the All-Steer is locked out, but I though I’d just mention it as an “Innovation” and try not to show my bias for or against any particular manufacturer.

BC79er makes a good point, after all Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) had been in aircraft since the 60's but it wasn't until some smart innovator at Raytheon put it in a handheld unit that it became a TIC.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

All steer or rear stearing ladder trucks I believe first showed up on Seagrve trucks. If I rember correctly they were controlled with a lever in the cab. Just about all of there ended up locked out because the driver had to move the wheels back to center.

Forum Member

All steer or rear stearing ladder trucks I believe first showed up on Seagrve trucks. If I rember correctly they were controlled with a lever in the cab. Just about all of there ended up locked out because the driver had to move the wheels back to center.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire304
    BC79er makes a good point, after all Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) had been in aircraft since the 60's but it wasn't until some smart innovator at Raytheon put it in a handheld unit that it became a TIC.
    Actually, I think some government firefighter asked if it could be done and EEV developed the first uncooled IR sensor, the pyroelectric vidicon, and bthen uilt the first handheld TIC with that back in the 70s, production models came around in 1984.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

As some of you probably noticed, Custom Fire was not there this year. We, FDMH, didn't buy a truck from them this last year. The one that was at FDIC 2003 is the last new truck that we purchased from them. They should be back next year, with our new pumper rescue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally Posted by Fire304:
    BlitzfireSolo you forgot a major Pierce "innovation"...
    AllSteer
    Or did I?

Originally Posted by Resq14:
    I started laughing because I thought your point was going to be the "incidents" that have taken place with All-Steer.

Sigh.

You let me down.
    Resq14, my friend, I would never let you down - you just need to go back and re-read my previous posts....one step ahead of you

Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo:
    How about the big Pierce innovations of past years? TAK-4/IFS? E-One comes to mind. All-steer? Yes, true, they certainly one-(or two-)upped the tag axle people there, but now look at them: they have departments driving into telephone poles! I guess that’s why they had to come out with their roll protection system

Opps, guess you didn't miss that one, hehe

Heard one where they were backing an all steer into the barn and it suddenly decided to switch itself on (was turned off) on its own resulting in wiping out the stairs up to the turn table on the back of the rig. Luckily this is a big enough issue that Pierce made the stair case unit (about 9ft x 9 ft x 4 ft) a seperate module, you unbolt it and replace it (for $$$ as I recall), now that's innovation!
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information